Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

The only pieces I could argue to have that kind of influence would be his coats, for example the coming season's double breasted ones which especially in leather could conjure up some military (and not very fortunate) associations.

But then again, that's also a big part of the leather fetish scene and the double breasted coat is in his opinion a staple piece and his choice of material comes from a different place altogether.

I think ideas such as discipline and service and devotion are more important to Rick than literal references.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mgala
      • Sep 2014

Yes i definitely see the discipline and service. I'm going to include these subjects in my presentation.

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
        • Jan 2013

How about the cargo / bulletproof(?) vest from recent seasons?

Comment

• jskidder1
          • Jan 2011

the bomber jackets are an obvious example, and also the pilot jacket from seasons past. particularly the version that was covered in patches. on the whole, however, it is a very small piece of the puzzle. and his influence was more the punks who adopted the military look than the military itself.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
            on the whole, however, it is a very small piece of the puzzle. and his influence was more the punks who adopted the military look than the military itself.
            this

imo if you are actually making some sort of a dissertation on his influences, this seems a bit forced. maybe you should pick another designer or another theme?
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mgala
              • Sep 2014

Oh yes i can see that, and tha ks for pointing that out, but it's a presentation of my own work, and then i have to quickly compare it to a "real designer's" work. I might still choose Rick but with a focus on sportswear :)

Comment

• applecrisp
                • Jun 2013

How can you say a lot of the pieces are not military inspired? I don't understand what you're looking at.

Aside from pods and dunks some of the most popular RO pieces of all time are heavily military influenced:

- exploder parka (all iterations)
                - cargo pods (long and short versions)
                - the ma-1 that he's often shot wearing himself (regular version, asymmetrical version, puffy version, etc)

Not to mention the drkshdw stuff from a few years back that was done all in battleship camo. And the trapunto stitching on all the jacket storm flys (intartias, slave, shearlings, etc) are all military influence.

To say that he takes from the punks that appropriated these garments I think is protecting your precious Rick a bit much to make yourselves feel better about his work.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

lolwut? I have no problem with military-inspired clothing by any stretch of imagination. We are simply talking about Rick's influences.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• JakubDaZoOo
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                    Also someone please share some knowledge on the order in which things happen in the fashion business. I´ve always thought it was runway show -> buyers presentation -> stores. Was I mistaken? Do the buyers and V.I.P.s get to see the collections before the show?

Edit: And to the person who posted the orange Geo: where did you get the pic?
                    Here is how things work, since its a RickOwens topic we can use Ricky as an example for SS16. They will show men's mainline and DRKSHDW pre-collection in May to buyers for stores in which they place orders but smaller amount since main collection comes up next month. Then during Paris fashion week Rick does his show always on a Thursday and his showroom opens 2 days later on Saturday for buyers which lasts a few days. At that point they get to see pre-collection and main collection + fashion show pieces all in one, in addition to DRKSHDW. Some of the bigger accounts do get to see the collections before the show in a private viewing. Pre-collection is done so the stores get their orders early, in this case pre-collection ships in December and Main ships Jan16 to March16

Comment

• devour
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by JakubDaZoOo View Post
                      Here is how things work, since its a RickOwens topic we can use Ricky as an example for SS16. They will show men's mainline and DRKSHDW pre-collection in May to buyers for stores in which they place orders but smaller amount since main collection comes up next month. Then during Paris fashion week Rick does his show always on a Thursday and his showroom opens 2 days later on Saturday for buyers which lasts a few days. At that point they get to see pre-collection and main collection + fashion show pieces all in one, in addition to DRKSHDW. Some of the bigger accounts do get to see the collections before the show in a private viewing. Pre-collection is done so the stores get their orders early, in this case pre-collection ships in December and Main ships Jan16 to March16

Ahh thanks for the insight. Always wondered how the buying and stuff work.

Comment

• koreanjameslee
                        • Apr 2015

does anyone know or have a link to a post that explains how to read the product number?

What I have realized so far is

DU15S_._._._/R = DRKSHDW 2015 ss + next 4 are model number. And i dont quite get the next letter or couple letters sometimes such as WP, SBS, F, GP, etc...

RU14F_._._._./F = mainline 2014FW + ... etc

just want to know what the last part means.

Anyone?

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by koreanjameslee View Post
                          does anyone know or have a link to a post that explains how to read the product number?

What I have realized so far is

DU15S_._._._/R = DRKSHDW 2015 ss + next 4 are model number. And i dont quite get the next letter or couple letters sometimes such as WP, SBS, F, GP, etc...

RU14F_._._._./F = mainline 2014FW + ... etc

just want to know what the last part means.

Anyone?

SZ user Shucks wrote a list on material codes a while back:

Rick Owens Leather Codes

LB: blistered lamb
                          LBO: box/-ed calf
                          LC: washed lamb (not confirmed)
                          LF: fading/-ed (gradient) lamb
                          LG: full grain lamb (not confirmed?)
                          LG: washed lamb (not confirmed)
                          LK: kangaroo
                          LKG: kangaroo (washed / full grain ?)
                          LM: metallic calf
                          LO: oiled calf
                          LP: hammered lamb
                          LS: silky lamb
                          LSH: shearling lamb

LR: 'regular' lamb?
                          LNB: some sort of blistered (combined with fabric)?

LZ: ?
                          LV: vegetable dyed lamb ?
                          LGAO - 'giove lamb' / oiled calf ?
                          COM: from archives it looks like a two-tone blistered treatment (combined with fabric) ?

LCE- washed lamb metallic/pearlized?
                          Last edited by Nickefuge; 06-21-2015, 05:19 AM.
                          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• koreanjameslee
                            • Apr 2015

Wow thanks a lot!! I guess it is a fabric types. I could also just look at the composition tag then.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Pre Сollection Rick Owens ‘Sphinx’ F/W 2015" via CreativEst, 2015 posted by The Divinitus on Facebook.

"The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Nickefuge
                                • Nov 2014

-Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎