Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yffet
    • Aug 2009

The reason some members want to cut this (interesting) discussion and burry it in the Sz limbo is pretty obvious.

What a shame.
    Well, Karl is a fan of Carol. Not sure about the other way around though...(Faust)

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

What's that?

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

make that 3

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

I get that Moldova is a bottom line type of move, but it doesn't seem smart. I buy and wear Rick because in my eyes, it's the most decadent and luxurious clothing for the oddball. I don't care if Moldova can churn out quality, and it would not be enough that they are being paid fairly. Fair trade is a different fight altogether, one that I of course believe in. Regardless, I want my luxury goods to be produced somewhere with prestige.

For now, I can rationalize buying his clothes as long as it's not the Moldova stuff, but he's treading thin ice.
          Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-08-2015, 07:15 PM. Reason: reasons obscure the main point
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
            Regardless, I want my luxury goods to be produced somewhere with prestige.
            is it a joke?

not sure San Giacomo delle Segnate (where Olmar & Mirta is based) qualifies as "somewhere with prestige"

also you basically are insutling Moldova culture which is maybe a little bit more "prestigious" than Rick Owens, no?
            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• upsilonkng
              • May 2010

i think his statement just speaks mostly to his age, but at least he's honest about his reasoning which is great to some degree, glamour require good lighting and apparently he thinks Moldova has no lightbulbs.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                • Nov 2014

For now, I can rationalize buying his clothes as long as it's not the Moldova stuff, but he's treading thin ice.
                Do you think they count the amount of Made in Italy garments they sell vs. the number of sold Made in Moldova items?

I think only a boycott of all retail Rick would help.
                ThatĀ“s what IĀ“ll try to do ... until I give in and buy those cropped pants on sale, goddammit.
                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                -Paris Hilton

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                  Won't get into this point, since I've had the culture argument on here before and it never goes anywhere--and it would be a still more serious derailment of the thread (but in brief: I think "culture" is a bullshit word whose meanings are at best vacuous, at worst tendentious).
                  idk what you mean, and you may be right re "culture" but i stick to my point and i'll express it without any reference to it then. Moldova, esp. to non european sz members, may be seen as a sub-par region of the world dedicated to the production of low cost products including clothing articles. I'm sorry but this is a bit light. The History, works and traditions of this part of the world do not strike me as significantly less "prestigious" or noble than the Rick Owens brand. Actually i'd like RO to pay an hommage to this region in an upcoming collection, it could be a way to pay his debt to the people and the economy his company is harnessing.
                  Last edited by BSR; 08-12-2015, 11:04 AM.
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

BSR-

It's nothing against Moldova. Undercover makes certain pieces in China, and I avoid those pieces as well. Every aspect of a luxury good should not just be respectable but exceptional, and that includes country of origin. Like that controversy about whether the transparent snakeskin shirt was real. Of course that shirt was legit, because Rick is legit, but Moldova is inconsistent with that.

What I'm afraid of with Rick now is that he'll finish pieces in Italy and we'll be none the wiser. At least with a Moldova tag, I can somewhat reasonably avoid those pieces.

FMC-

Funny thing, there was a lot of self-curation in my post. Originally, I'd listed off several reasons for why I want my Rick made in Italy, but I deleted them because I'm very wary of motives for that kind of thing.

Nickfuge-

I don't see why they wouldn't. They are a business and that would be a very easy metric to look at for such a controversial move.

upsilon-

I'll just take that as a compliment to my looks rather than a slight to my maturity, as I'm old enough to have an established career, pay a mortgage and taxes, and care for a son/dog from a previous marriage, which is more responsibility than many couples can even handle.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                      • Nov 2014

[...] and care for a son/dog from a previous marriage, which is more responsibility than many couples can even handle.
                      Does that mean you treat your dog like a son or your son like a dog?

(Sorry, I had to)
                      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

Haha oops. Although I do treat them equally: they're not allowed to beg for food or tear up the furniture, and they have to go outside to shit. Toilets are what we call a "daddy luxury."

Comment

• delicious_not
                          • Dec 2012

after reading all this i feel stupid for not making any alterations to my ricks, even if i really need it, because the tailor would kind of affect the true magic of these heavenly items lol.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by delicious_not View Post
                            after reading all this i feel stupid for not making any alterations to my ricks, even if i really need it, because the tailor would kind of affect the true magic of these heavenly items lol.

DonĀ“t let your clothes wear you. These are just garments, make them your own.
                            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

So are there Stooges jackets which are not made in Moldova? Or do I need to resort to other brand perfecto's.
                              Grailed link

Comment

• bukka
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                                So are there Stooges jackets which are not made in Moldova? Or do I need to resort to other brand perfecto's.
                                There are plenty made in Italy 2nd hand on ebay/sufu/etc.
                                afaik current season are all made in Moldova
                                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎