Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arkady
    • Apr 2011

No, it's pretty god damn funny enough to point out. Leftist sentiments have a way of parodying themselves very easily.

I care about production ethics to the point that 95% of my purchases are from a studio I've toured in person many times and I'm still not buying sustainably. Point being this is impossible, your very existence is supported by modern slave labor both from the side of consumption and taxation. Unless you're engaged with every link in the supply chain and/or living under a participatory economic scheme with balanced job complexes you're stepping on someone's throat every time you consume. Centering the discussion around luxury goods just adds a little ironic edge. I said the quote was a keeper, no?

Trying to dismiss it as cynicism for cool points is surprisingly quaint. While the pessimist may see a decrepit tunnel and the optimist sees a shining light at the end of it, the realist moves out of the way of the fucking train barreling towards him.

Comment

• stemcell
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
      While the pessimist may see a decrepit tunnel and the optimist sees a shining light at the end of it, the realist moves out of the way of the fucking train barreling towards him.
      !!! Certainly saving this in my back pocket for daily use haha.

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

One of my mother's originals as far as I know.

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

Why aren't other labels under the same kind of scrutiny? CdG and UC have both manufactured in China. I'm sure other labels discussed on this forum have as well, but I can only speak from personal experience.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• bukka
            • Sep 2011

Point being this is impossible, your very existence is supported by modern slave labor both from the side of consumption and taxation..
            Maybe this conversation is a good reminder, don't you think so?
            Rick Owens production ethics have been addressed on the last 10 pages. The rest of the 390 pages are a mix of cult of personality and where2kopgeobaskets. Good for you if you think it's h i l a r i o u s, I think it's necessary and definitely better than the previous topics.
            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
              Why aren't other labels under the same kind of scrutiny? CdG and UC have both manufactured in China. I'm sure other labels discussed on this forum have as well, but I can only speak from personal experience.
              To me it just feels like projection, perhaps those who are more interested in clothing that has a seditious brand identity assume the designer shares disruptive values. Whereas to me something like CdG is more associated with typical conspicuous luxury.

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                -
                Yeah I actually said it has merit and is worth having, you like me don't you.
                Last edited by Arkady; 08-13-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• En.
                  • May 2015

ITT: People arguing about the ethics of producing $45,000 mink vests when nearly every other thing they consume is produced in similar or worse conditions. Literally everything -- like, literally man -- has nihilistic undertones if we expand this discussion out to the world beyond obelisk daybeds and subversive flip flops. How many of you typed your responses out on a macbook?
                  Am I supposed to ignore the ethics of production simply because I already have a laptop and smartphone made in China? No, of course not. I don't have any viable options that are on par with the electronics I currently have to buy a substitute produced ethically. Clothing is not the same, especially the works of those who put an emphasis on quality and creativity.
                  Last edited by En.; 08-20-2015, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Arkady
                    • Apr 2011

Well, you shouldn't change your life because a stranger on the internet finds something amusing about it -- that's for sure.

AMD, Viglen, Sun, Tranquil and Thinkpad all make sustainable and eco-conscious machines. You're purely paying for an aluminum body, the hardware is not only generic and outsourced but priced at 2X for the form factor alone.

Clothing is exactly the same because you could choose to buy a locally made leather that'll last 25 years but no. You need the one with the foreskin collar and the danglers.
                    Last edited by Arkady; 08-13-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• unwashed
                      • Dec 2008

Baby steps, you can't expect someone with the current knowledge about Rick Owens practices and the fashion (both luxury and fast) industry to go completely green/organic/eco/sustainable from north to south. But I think a small step is better than no step at all. And it might be difficult for the current generation to switch thinking and go from baby steps to mature steps. When we are used to all this convenient materialism surrounding us. Yes we can consume from our couch everything we desire. Everything is a mouse click away as long as the funds or credit companies allow you to.

I think with questioning Rick Owens practices, some other designers will follow. And maybe some influential fashion people are on this forum and will read the discussions if it remains trending, and maybe they can take some big steps and do something with this feedback. If we continue to say, fuck it because it is nothing compared to Zara, HM etc... and they read this, then I bet nothing is gonna change...
                      Grailed link

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

They'll just automate it to 'sustainability' and cause millions to lose their jobs. We do have that version of ethics to look forward to, I imagine Zara will be printed 10 years down the line rather than sewn.

Comment

• scanner
                          • Mar 2015

I'm looking forward to the day when the SZ Marketplace is filled with PDF's and Adobe files of popular patterns for pod shorts and mollino's for us to 3D Print at home.

Comment

• stemcell
                            • Jul 2011

"Guys, guys, I found a torrent for CRUST, hurry DL before the link gets reported!"

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

this thread....

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Yeah Ahimsa even kindly made a thread for it but it won't die here. I may have missed an RO viral campaign wherein he suggests he's running a cybergoth public charity.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎