Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stemcell
    • Jul 2011

I don't think this has been posted. Short article with nothing new in the text, but it has a few nice photos. (Also features a bit on Thom Browne)

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I'm just picturing the average reader of Town and Country going "oh dear" when coming across those photos, and proceeding to wonder what the world has come to
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

..and Ruben Toledo, huh. Might have as well put Tom Ford next to Rick.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stemcell
          • Jul 2011

Doesn't add much to the conversation, but I saw a pair of nylon blend classic drop crotch pants the other day that the retailer listed as made in Moldova. So, unless that was somehow a mistake, I guess it isn't just the classic leathers.

Comment

• scanner
            • Mar 2015

New Interview with Rick in Surface Mag.

He subtly suggests that the brand is too big, bigger than he's ever expected and his reactions to other brands knocking off his work seems to be frustrating for him. He almost seems anxious to see the brand fall apart.

His thoughts on LA are interesting as well. No plans to go see the store at all.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

It's amazing how relatable he comes across in interviews given how exceptional he is. It's like he's just this dude, doing his thing, like his thing isn't some bizarro anti-universe of intellectual and cultured (both high and low) luxury. Every time he opens his mouth, I feel silly for having a hero at my age.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• scanner
                • Mar 2015

Agreed. He's also frustratingly honest (it seems) and I like that he's not afraid to say he contradicts himself and changes his mind on things often.

There's a bit of genius at work here. He's got so many layers to his personality. Somehow he's simultaneously ego-maniacal and humble, creator and consumer, and retains a surprising amount of normalcy, given the arena he plays in and the people he caters to. It's also refreshing to see how intelligent and thoughtful he comes across, while still being just your average dude, rather than spouting off some well thought out PR fluff.

Still, he's either trolling the fashion world or the antichrist.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

The latter I don't know about, he strikes me an incredibly savvy and patient strategist who is intentionally cultivating that air of anxiety at seeing the brand fall apart -- perhaps to salvage some of the brand's authenticity when its life cycle is up and it's sold off to someone like LVMH. Amidst the chaotic flourish and populist (albeit often brilliant) rebelliousness there is a very calm man with a very specific plan.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                    • Sep 2008

The more interviews I read from him lately, the more I feel he should stop giving interviews for a while.

Comment

• En.
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by scanner View Post
                      Still, he's either trolling the fashion world or the antichrist.
                      Wouldn't say he's trolling the fashion world as he's one of the small amount of designers that continue to impress with every collection. Unless he's secretly planning on abruptly stopping.
                      Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
                      The more interviews I read from him lately, the more I feel he should stop giving interviews for a while.
                      Why? You know someone was going to want you to elaborate.

Comment

• scanner
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by En. View Post
                        Wouldn't say he's trolling the fashion world as he's one of the small amount of designers that continue to impress with every collection. Unless he's secretly planning on abruptly stopping.
                        That's kind of what I mean. He is almost too smart for fashion. He has brilliant and concrete, expressive ideas and sticks to them and the work and output are phenomenal and prove we're dealing with a real artist using himself as a canvas for his expressive work. The problem is, like most artists, he's probably burnt out and on auto pilot and bored. Artists are creatively drained when their material has been ripped copied and shared, much like his mention of seeing his knock offs out on the street. It's no different than a musician choosing not to make music if everyone will just steal it and make it disposable. On top of that, he's got his workflow down so well, that If he is able to think up idea's like the one he mentioned going into the gym, I'm sure he has enough ideas to fill a decade worth of collections. He just doesn't seem to want to spend his time and efforts doing that and would probably rather use those ideas for more complicated and harder to access work, like his furniture. The man is in the luxury business after all, but his roots are still embedded into his DIY, personalized work ethic.

Comment

• scanner
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                          The latter I don't know about, he strikes me an incredibly savvy and patient strategist who is intentionally cultivating that air of anxiety at seeing the brand fall apart -- perhaps to salvage some of the brand's authenticity when its life cycle is up and it's sold off to someone like LVMH. Amidst the chaotic flourish and populist (albeit often brilliant) rebelliousness there is a very calm man with a very specific plan.
                          I definitely agree with that as well, but i'm sure seeing his work emulated and adored by many and not in the way he envisions can be frustrating to an artist. I still believe he would rather see his brand destroyed by his hand rather than a community of hypebeasts.

Reminds me of the show Halt And Catch Fire if anyone has seen the first season.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

One has to wonder what will happen when he's "finished." Will he sell it off or put the label into CCP mode? He doesn't have children to leave all that money to, and both his parents and Michele are quite older than him. If I was in that position personally, I'd just shut it down altogether when I'd had enough and will my cash to charity, but of course it's anyone's guess. Maybe it's not such a great idea to sell Rick pieces...

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                              He doesn't have children to leave all that money to, and...
                              Well this just went from overanalytical to awkward..
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

How's that? It's not like celebrities are real people.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎