Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikko
    • Apr 2013

Wait till you see the new keychains from M _ _ _ _ _ _ N!

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

I've had this idea knocking around in my head, what does Rick mean to the people for whom his clothing is not just about exclusively niche luxury? I can only speak for myself here, but there seems to be a big undercurrent in the fashion zeitgeist with regard to gender roles/queerness/feminism. So much in our culture is fucked up in these arenas: the alienation and dehumanization of trans people, the expectations of masculinity for heterosexual males, the possession of women in the public space and mass media as objects of sex and status markers, the fetishization of youth as something to aspire to, etc. These issues to me are very real and can be very damaging to people psychologically. Society can be very alienating if you don't adhere to the conventional norms with respect to these issues, especially if you don't live in a culturally liberal, metropolitan area

So for me personally, a good chunk of buying into Rick for me was a rebellion against the conventions of sex and gender. His blowjob receipt card, his androgynous unfuckable jellyfish, his runway themes within the past few seasons, it's all come to represent to me a kind of rebellion, an empowering way to say, no, I am not one of you to the heteronormative status quo.

Of course, Rick isn't perfect in this message, if it even is his message, but I think he does well enough, especially in relation to someone like Karl. But as a heterosexual male, I feel that my perspective is limited and there's not much I can say of merit. It would be interesting to hear some thoughts from queer people and women on this, or even just anyone more well-versed in this sort of thing.

As an aside, I wish that the zeitgeist was more focused on environmentalism, because the fashion system and consumerism at large is really fucking up the planet. Like, as things continue on as they have been, and they will, because people are idiots, my son is going to see major bullshit happen within his lifetime. Rick definitely does not give a shit about that, though.
      Last edited by DudleyGray; 11-26-2015, 11:09 PM.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

An epic reflection on Michele Lamy's Les Deux Cafés by Chris Wallace. A must-read!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sshum88
          • Dec 2007

Great read and sounds like it would have been a lot of fun!

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          An epic reflection on Michele Lamy's Les Deux Cafés by Chris Wallace. A must-read!
          Originally posted by eat me
          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• naturalalmonds
            • Sep 2013

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...a-star-turned/
            This is such a great piece, it's vivid.
            I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• skullkid
              • Aug 2015

I too enjoying reading. The other Rick article is also short and refreshing. I'm very tired of reading the same thing again and again

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Glad you guys liked it. Agreed, so much has been said over and over again, this was refreshing.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

I rarely re-read articles but this I wanted to go back to, it was indeed very vivid
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• magic
                    • Feb 2009

Not sure if this were posted here, but anyway..

RICK OWENS INTERVIEWED BY DIANE PERNET
                    All the action from Nick Knight's shoot and an exclusive interview with Owens.Visit our official website here: http://www.creativest.frFacebook: https://www....
                    Focusing on object details

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

I came across this article this morning and thought it tied the Les Deux article together nicely with my gender queer rant:

"Straddling the East and West coasts (LA goth was defined by a more elegant, Hollywood horror look inspired by 30s silent films, while the NY scene was driven by the city’s fashion culture) Propaganda covered music, film and fashion, combining original photography and reporting.
                      What was it about goth that made it more appealing to you?

Fred H. Berger: It was more elegant, more artsy, more intellectual. And that was the kind of milieu that I grew up in, because my parents' circle of friends were like that. My father was a photographer and my mother was a model with Ford, she exposed me to opera and ballet and surrealism and fine art and gave me a very cultured upbringing. So goth struck me as more sophisticated. In terms of aesthetics, hardcore was very minimalist and militarist, tribal almost, but goth was more fashion-oriented, more art-oriented. So there was a bit of a hiatus for Propaganda then the first goth issue came out in the summer of 1984.

The images in Propaganda made reference to fetishism, androgyny, religion, Nazism... why were they things that you were drawn to?

Fred H. Berger: Well I was really influenced by movies. Early Propaganda was very influenced by The Road Warrior; for me and a lot of people on the hardcore punk scene it really was a handbook for styling, hair, accessorising and behaviour. Then The Hunger influenced me in terms of the gothic mystique of Bauhaus and other related bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sisters of Mercy – all the dark-wave, goth, industrial scene that had that sinister, nocturnal, vampire look..."
                      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Karura
                        • Feb 2012

Question for you guys, is the Sternberg and Band Collar the same design?

I'm interested in this Band Collar, and saw the Sternberg, and it looks very similar to me.

Are there any good deals for the band collar right now in lambskin?

I believe my size was 48 but was still a bit tight on the shoulders after 2 years, do people often size up or is it relatively TTS?

Thanks!

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

This is a documentary about Winny Puhh going to Paris to play at the S/S14 Vicious show. It’ quite entertaining.

I hope it’s ok to post this in here, I din’t want to dig up the Vicious thread.
                          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Chris Wallace interviews Michele Lamy for, well, Interview

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stemcell
                                • Jul 2011

What about Rick (himself, or a piece, collection, quote, etc) has inspired, or continues to inspire you the most?
                                --
                                For me, working out and trying to get in shape is a definite one. But more so, he's reopened a door I sort of closed to the art world. After art school I pretty much hated art, making art, or art history. After Ann reintroduced me to the impressionists and made me fall in love with them (SS14), Rick did the same with the abstract expressionists and a few others. If it wasn't for them, I may not have come back around to appreciating or being interesting in fine art, both viewing it and creating my own.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎