• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Oh, Jesus - why????!!!

Rick Owens x Birkenstock

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Oh, Jesus - why????!!!

Rick Owens x Birkenstock

https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...0028-417178845
      Personally, I’m looking forward to it and hope to somehow get my hands on a pair.
      I’ve been wearing Birks with my Rick for a few summers now, the ergonomic and comfy footbed and dorky design speaks to my inner nerd.

Also definitely better than that weird boot collab.
      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Campe92
        • Jan 2017

Someone have more info about Subhuman inhuman superhuman party in Milan on Saturday 13 January?
        "I'm not working in the mainstream, i'm working on the side street, side dark street, it is quite comfortable." [Yohji Yamamoto]

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

Oh, Jesus - why????!!!

Rick Owens x Birkenstock

https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...0028-417178845
          "Rick Owens doesn't shy away from subversion, so in some ways it makes perfect sense that the designer has teamed with Birkenstock, the German footwear brand best known for being fashionably unfashionable."

Bullshit. There's nothing subversive about Birkenstock. Their US customers are rich earthy crunchy hippies who think they're above consumerism while they have BMWs and Mercedes parked in the front yard and carry monogrammed Gucci and LV bags. Judging from the article Birkenstock themselves are similarly snobby.

“We are beyond fashion but we're relevant to it as an iconic classic, a genuinely universal wardrobe staple.”

Just because you managed to join Whole Foods and REI in capturing the wealthy organic loving market doesn't make you beyond fashion. Showcasing at PFW and collaborating with Rick suggests quite the opposite.

There's nothing subversive about them in a fashion sense either. They fit right in with the "deliberately ugly" footwear trend going on right now. No one would bat an eyelid seeing them in an otherwise decent outfit.

I've always hated Birks and never understood why anyone would wear them. They're comfortable. Big deal. So are tons of shoes that don't look like garbage. There's no way this collaboration will be anything but hideous. But the Adidas collaboration didn't wasn't exactly the epitome of design, so it's not uncharted territory for Rick.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Nickefuge
            • Nov 2014

I don’t understand how someone (not only you) can get so enraged about some Birks, haha.
            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Campe92
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
              I don’t understand how someone (not only you) can get so enraged about some Birks, haha.
              Maybe because they are horrible? or in this case maybe because there are people that "valorize" them saying things like "they are comfortable" only for trying to give value to this (for me horrible) collab
              "I'm not working in the mainstream, i'm working on the side street, side dark street, it is quite comfortable." [Yohji Yamamoto]

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                I'm not enraged, just opinionated. If we're just going to dismiss matters of design as not worth having a strong opinion on, what's the point of posting on a forum like this?
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Nickefuge
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
                  I'm not enraged, just opinionated. If we're just going to dismiss matters of design as not worth having a strong opinion on, what's the point of posting on a forum like this?
                  Fair enough.
                  -Paris Hilton

Comment

• haydn
                    • Feb 2013

This collab seems more in line with the current Rick than the adidas line. I recall rick stating that he wanted shoes to exercise in - which resulted in the adidas line. I never understood the pricing on the adidas shoes though, as from what I saw in stores appeared poorly produced, even for a mainstream brand like Adidas, yet pricing creeped up to what Rick was charging for his own produced footwear.

I’m genuine looking forward to this!

Rick has been producing “ugly” footwear for years which are comparable if not inspired by Birkenstock. The “granola” sandals have been around for several seasons and name and design both bring to mind the same customer who purchases Birkenstock. What I do love about this upcoming collaboration is that it brings two different worlds together; many Birkenstock consumers are likely unaware of Rick Owens although I’m sure most Rick Owens consumers have encountered birks throughout the years. Compare that to the adidas collab which was mostly bait for the hypebeast community who wouldn’t wear a runway look but wanted the street cred that came with the name.

Comment

• ahn
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by haydn View Post
                      The “granola” sandals have been around for several seasons...
                      Right. Not sure why it took so long for this to come up... the Granola footbed is very reminiscent of a typical Birkenstock sandal, the shape of which has been emulated in the last decade by so many... Celine, Isabel Marant, Marni, etc... he's already integrated this shape into his repertoire so it's not really such a wild step to collab with them... or to suggest that it couldn't or shouldn't work - it can and it has.

I'd buy them.
                      some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• stemcell
                        • Jul 2011

I like the idea of a birkenstock collaboration much more than adidas or hood rubber. I always thought that the majority of the adidas shoes looked like garbage, and I couldn't stand seeing them so prominently done on the runway season after season being as rick has produced such amazing and unique footwear in the past like the elephant boots, or sock sneakers, or much of the women's shoes like walrus creeper or glitter socks.

The hood rubber collaboration seems completely ridiculous being as the shoes look nearly identical to the regular hood rubber shoes, it appears as if they aren't even being released in traditional rick materials like blister or reverse, or in any of the dirt runway colorways that could at least elevate or separate it from the traditional HR shoes, which as I said look nearly identical, and retail for around $250-300.

Does anyone have anymore insight onto how or why the HR collaboration came about? Is it true that they produced the glitter pentagram boots? But why? Just cheaper? More "hiking" cred? Being as that hiking boots and bags and sleeping bags/camping/nomad references could arguably be seen throughout glitter and dirt?

I've never owned a pair of birkenstocks but I am pretty surprised by the negative response here, why hate a basic comfy sandal? I mean, Rick has produced rubber flip flops already, rubber slides, and granola sandals— nothing new under the sun.

Comment

• magic
                          • Feb 2009

Not sure if I am the only one that dont get your comments..
                          Focusing on object details

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Campe92 View Post
                            Someone have more info about Subhuman inhuman superhuman party in Milan on Saturday 13 January?
                            There were white horses and live performances :-) I am bummed I missed Ryoji Ikeda - dinner went too late :( I love me a good seizure.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by magic View Post
                              Not sure if I am the only one that dont get your comments..
                              You're not. I am genuinely surprised people are digging this pile of organic horse manure. I mean, we are not hypebeast...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Campe92
                                • Jan 2017

There were white horses and live performances :-) I am bummed I missed Ryoji Ikeda - dinner went too late :( I love me a good seizure.
                                Fortunately i was there, and it was a good party! i missed Ryoji Ikeda too...super fast live, something about 30 minutes

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎