• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drizzly
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
    Does someone know if they take custom orders? Tried contacting them directly, but no answer.
    a1923 custom orders can be done, i think via retailer but it will take a long time. And may not turn out the same as showroom.

Comment

• NoisyArmchair
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by byhand View Post
      Just buy MA+. It's basically the same thing. Oh, wait, MA+ in size 44 isn't the easiest to find either. Darklands usually stocks size 44 in both.
      I live in the UK and it's relatively easy to find MA+ online and in stores in size 44. Sadly they scratch slightly different itches. Not really the same thing.

I do own a few MA+ pieces though...

Reminds me I have a MA+ wallet I need to sell.

Comment

• dash
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Simone
        This takes a lot of time. For example, my heels. For many labels, the heel is just one solid block. But my heel is constructed of layered leather. I never explained this to the client but it’s important for them to understand why it’s expensive
        Took my shoes today to an old fashioned repair guy in Altrincham, and the guy told me the heels were wood not leather.

He also told me that the sole looked as if it was made from bonded leather and wouldn't hold up very long - especially if it got wet.

Took a pair of recent kangaroo one-piece derbies.

Can anyone weigh in?
        www.gregdash.net
        @gregjdash

Comment

• en0rm
          • May 2010

wait what are you going on about?? A1923 heels are leather..no doubt about that. and bonded leather soles...

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dash View Post
            Took my shoes today to an old fashioned repair guy in Altrincham, and the guy told me the heels were wood not leather.

He also told me that the sole looked as if it was made from bonded leather and wouldn't hold up very long - especially if it got wet.

Can anyone weigh in?

wear it in the rain and it will prove itself to you.........
            wear it often and it will prove itself to you...........
            once it proves itself to you, you need no external proof.
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

DO NOT HANDLE WITH CARE
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                DO NOT HANDLE WITH CARE
                his never came with the memo......or the box

Comment

• Scander
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                  Pedigree goes a long way. The guy worked for Carpe Diem, that's his scene, and he does that niche very well. What else can you reasonably ask from him? I think in the artisanal niche, the originality of design takes a backseat anyways to the treatment, quality, and construction. Calling plagiarism might be missing the main point.

The CCP stuff becomes gray area, but I think that some derivation of CD/MA+ is forgivable, if it can really be called derivation. It's different when you're actually friends and have worked with people.
                  But he had to do communication, not design. And also he was there for some months...
                  Nice for him that in those months he saw what he need.

Going to a tailor with a PH and CCP blazer and asking "this from this and this from this" can be a way of doing the design of course.

Comment

• dash
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                    his never came with the memo......or the box
                    Dunno what you mean, but just relaying what I was told today by this guy.

I'm not well read on shoe construction, so was just wondering about the accuracy of his statements.
                    www.gregdash.net
                    @gregjdash

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                      • Jul 2013

Can anyone weigh in?
                      I mean, I think we're all gonna assume hearsay unless you post pictures...
                      Last edited by Lohikaarme; 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM. Reason: lolwordsaretiring

Comment

• dash
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                        I mean, I think we're all gonna assume heresy unless you post pictures...
                        I'm not sure if you mean hearsay. But this was something that was told to me by this guy, they're just the regular kangaroo one piece.

So he is wrong I take it?
                        www.gregdash.net
                        @gregjdash

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

I'm not sure if you mean hearsay. But this was something that was told to me by this guy, they're just the regular kangaroo one piece.

So he is wrong I take it?
                          dude you have your shoe, you should know leather different from wood......and you should wear the sheet out of it and see if it falls apart.
                          Why do you want someone on the internet to tell you about something you have in your possession when you are the person most fitting to know than anyone else?

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Scander View Post
                            But he had to do communication, not design. And also he was there for some months...
                            Nice for him that in those months he saw what he need.

Going to a tailor with a PH and CCP blazer and asking "this from this and this from this" can be a way of doing the design of course.
                            before Hedi Slimane became head designer at YSL, he was working in PR at JPG.......and then suddenly he was a designer.

Let me say something on this for just once, and i really have no vested interest in the perception of Simone, except I have met him and had dinner a couple of times and i find him to be a nice man.

it doesn't matter how talented you are, to succeed in business you need to be a hard worker who produces work in a timely manner, is accessible to your vendors and not behave like you got your head up your Arsen,
                            there is a reason why his stuff is in good stores, selling well and he is succeeding. Some designers whose work is revered as a god, need to pay attention..........
                            Fashion is democratic now, even in tha' gothninja niche....
                            those with the attitude of monarchs will be rendered irrelevant.

Comment

• Scander
                              • Jul 2013

before Hedi Slimane became head designer at YSL, he was working in PR at JPG.......and then suddenly he was a designer.

Let me say something on this for just once, and i really have no vested interest in the perception of Simone, except I have met him and had dinner a couple of times and i find him to be a nice man.

it doesn't matter how talented you are, to succeed in business you need to be a hard worker who produces work in a timely manner, is accessible to your vendors and not behave like you got your head up your Arsen,
                              there is a reason why his stuff is in good stores, selling well and he is succeeding. Some designers whose work is revered as a god, need to pay attention..........
                              Fashion is democratic now, even in tha' gothninja niche....
                              those with the attitude of monarchs will be rendered irrelevant.
                              I met him too and found him very nice and we had a nice talk.

Yes, he is a good businessman and he creates nice objects but he doesn't creates amazing projects. Maybe as a student I prefer where there is culture, where there is something else. Maybe I prefer other lies. (:

Comment

• dash
                                • Jul 2010

dude you have your shoe, you should know leather different from wood......and you should wear the sheet out of it and see if it falls apart.
                                Why do you want someone on the internet to tell you about something you have in your possession when you are the person most fitting to know than anyone else?
                                The guy's words to me were 'if you think that's leather, then you need to get your eyes checked out'.

Was surprised, I think I do know leather different from wood, but yeah, so was just putting the post there to see if those who have more experience with Simone's footwear can weigh in. Maybe someone else had the same pair and would comment? Maybe someone would tell me the guy is talking rubbish as Simone has never used wood heels? Maybe someone would tell me that Simone always uses wood?

I've got two pairs, but I'm not that experienced with footwear construction to really comment on it. I thought it was leather. I know posting on here, people like you Zam (although not necessarily you specifically, just an example) have more experience broadly in manufacturing/production and materials, and can provide responses that come from your expertise.

re; wearing the sheet out of it - of course! That's the plan.
                                www.gregdash.net
                                @gregjdash

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎