• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drizzly
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    I find M.a+ leathers thinner than anything simone puts out though. CCP on the other hand, results vary.
    You have to look at the leather thickness not counting the lining. Past 2 years of a1923 leathers have not been as thick at all.

My horse ma+ backzips are as thick as my ccp horse tornados. maybe a touch thinner. ma+ has consistent leather thickness.

(fyi most my experience is with boots, shoes idk)

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

thanks for your replies gents.

nicelynice - concerning the leather variations and shopping online - I think that's where the label can catch a snag. I have confidence with most other SZ shoe brands that if I order something online I'll have pretty much a standard general idea that the feel and quality will meet my expectations

faust - you pretty much answered where I was getting at. I've handled a fair share of the boots as well - but have always left empty handed...

zamb / drizzly - what models could you recommend. I've been hawking the work boots for a bit now.

cheers
      Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Icarium
        • Oct 2010

Yeah I've heard his production is very inconsistent, which is why folks sometimes don't advise special ordering since I think he cherry picks the nicer outcomes for retail and if you are getting a custom order then you end up with whatever comes out of the process.

I don't think I've been disappointed by the thickness or juiciness of any of the oiled cavallo I've handled from a retail store as well as kudu and renna.

I have a reverse leather pair that is drier and thinner though :/

I've also heard, though no idea if it's real or hype, that in the last couple of years he switched from machine construction to hand made.

But having both older augusta as well as more recent a1923 -- definitely his stuff 2014 onwards has been coming out really, really nice.

Comment

• drizzly
          Banned
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
          thanks for your replies gents.

nicelynice - concerning the leather variations and shopping online - I think that's where the label can catch a snag. I have confidence with most other SZ shoe brands that if I order something online I'll have pretty much a standard general idea that the feel and quality will meet my expectations

faust - you pretty much answered where I was getting at. I've handled a fair share of the boots as well - but have always left empty handed...

zamb / drizzly - what models could you recommend. I've been hawking the work boots for a bit now.

cheers
          current stuff maybe the workboots, see how the leather is... but for workboots i'd get L0

Comment

• drizzly
            Banned
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
            Yeah I've heard his production is very inconsistent, which is why folks sometimes don't advise special ordering since I think he cherry picks the nicer outcomes for retail and if you are getting a custom order then you end up with whatever comes out of the process.

I don't think I've been disappointed by the thickness or juiciness of any of the oiled cavallo I've handled from a retail store as well as kudu and renna.

I have a reverse leather pair that is drier and thinner though :/

I've also heard, though no idea if it's real or hype, that in the last couple of years he switched from machine construction to hand made.

But having both older augusta as well as more recent a1923 -- definitely his stuff 2014 onwards has been coming out really, really nice.
            yes he changed technique but pre and post 2014 have been good construction, 2014 and on is cleaner i guess

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
              • Apr 2013

layer zero is the thinnest of them all though funny you say that
              Originally posted by unwashed
              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
              Originally posted by Ahimsa
              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• drizzly
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                layer zero is the thinnest of them all though funny you say that
                i am not recommending boots based on the leather thickness in this case. Subject switched on you.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

why do we need to specify which brand "has the thinnest/thickest leather" when obviously they all have used a variety of leathers, all with very different characteristics? I've handled nearly every shoe model A1923 has made over the past years and there is a huge variance, there have been leathers that are some of the thickest and most sturdy I've seen and some fairly light.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

#causepeoplehavenothingbettertodo
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• drizzly
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                      why do we need to specify which brand "has the thinnest/thickest leather" when obviously they all have used a variety of leathers, all with very different characteristics? I've handled nearly every shoe model A1923 has made over the past years and there is a huge variance, there have been leathers that are some of the thickest and most sturdy I've seen and some fairly light.
                      LOL dude its a discussion why not just have the conversation rather than questioning the validity of it. Clearly people have thoughts and concerns.

And yes i remember 3-4 years ago a1923 was super stiff and thick leather, but now its changed.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

id rather talk about leather thickness then talk about celebrities on WTF like daytime television
                        Originally posted by unwashed
                        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                        Originally posted by Ahimsa
                        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
                          LOL dude its a discussion why not just have the conversation rather than questioning the validity of it. Clearly people have thoughts and concerns.

And yes i remember 3-4 years ago a1923 was super stiff and thick leather, but now its changed.
                          discuss all you want, but tell me what purpose does it serve to say for example: "Past 2 years of a1923 leathers have not been as thick at all", when there are probably over a dozen different leather qualities in a collection? Have you seen the entire collections to warrant saying that, or are you basing it on a few pairs you've seen?

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss material characteristics, I'm just confused by the need to box entire collections or labels into one feature. ie, "layer zero uses the thinnest leather" when obviously this is not the case and they use various types, so why say this?
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• drizzly
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            discuss all you want, but tell me what purpose does it serve to say for example: "Past 2 years of a1923 leathers have not been as thick at all", when there are probably over a dozen different leather qualities in a collection? Have you seen the entire collections to warrant saying that, or are you basing it on a few pairs you've seen?

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss material characteristics, I'm just confused by the need to box entire collections or labels into one feature. ie, "layer zero uses the thinnest leather" when obviously this is not the case and they use various types, so why say this?
                            I've seen pretty big chunks of the collection and several of my friends own pieces from multiple collection that agree with me. I am basing this on dozens of pairs i've handled and owned.

re L0, i recommended L0 but never said anything negative about it and agree its not the case.

Regarding boxing into one feature. Lets put it like this a1923 leathers were always all over the place and have never been consistent like ma+/ccp/CD/guidi. now they are consistently thin. the quality of the overall boot/shoe is great.

FYI so far all you have done is question things but haven't contributed an opinion on the subject which clearly several folks are interested in.

Comment

• clusterfuck
                              • Nov 2015

Hi everyone. I cannot find the post at the moment, but I wanted to confirm something a user posted about in the past. The post had to do with certain a1923s soles not being tanned or finished properly.

Anyway, I picked up a pair of reverse calf work boots with the dyed red soles (with no signs of wear) for a fair price on consignment. I finally started wearing them after having the soles vibrammed and so on. Well, after about a month of fairly light wear, the damn vibrams have started peeling off! I mean, I get the "don't handle with care" gimmick and I'm not one to baby my gear. Since my taste has been corrupted by this forum and I don't make a ton of money, I make investments in clothing I care about, live in it like a uniform and beat the shit out of it until it's rags. With that being said, I vibram my footwear because the thought of having artisanal footwear resoled by a 3rd party triggers me. But what the hell, seems like only a charlatan would make a boot that couldn't be effectively vibrammed.

Comment

• magic
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by clusterfuck View Post
                                Well, after about a month of fairly light wear, the damn vibrams have started peeling off!

If the only things that came off was the vibrams, then I would say the cobbler doesnt did a good job. Not the quality of A1923.
                                Focusing on object details

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎