• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Anyway, back on topic. From The New York Times

Thom Browne’s New Deal

Thom Browne, the designer best known for making expensive, narrowly tailored suits that have been both enormously influential and endlessly mocked, has sold the majority stake of his business to the Cross Company, the Japanese apparel company he began a relationship with in August. The deal, announced Thursday, lets Mr. Browne maintain creative control of his collection. It will also take some financial pressure off the designer, whose business had been the subject of numerous reports of troubles over the last year.
    “It took a while for me to find somebody who understood what I really was about as a designer, and not just the suit but they lifestyle of the guy wearing the suit,” Mr. Browne said. “A lot of people forget we are business people, too.”
    Cross, which operates 200 stores in Asia, acquired a 20 percent stake in Mr. Browne’s business in August, and an additional amount this week that gave it a majority interest. The company will also install new management to run the designer collection, replacing Josh Sparks, who had been instrumental in restructuring Mr. Browne’s business since he joined the company in July.
    Mr. Browne’s business, by fashion industry standards, is tiny, with sales of about $6.5 million, but his impact has been felt on the style of men’s wear for the last decade, and the designer has also added collections for Moncler and Brooks Brothers. Mr. Browne said he hoped the capital infusion would allow him to continue to broaden his signature collection, something he began for spring by adding $200 sweats and T-shirts to the usual mix of $4,000 suits. He said he may decide to start showing his collections in Paris.
    “The most exciting things for me are to be able to strengthen the business in the United States and grow the business in Europe,” he said, adding that an expansion in Asia is also being developed.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pierce
      Banned
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Anyway, back on topic. From The New York Times

Thom Browne’s New Deal

Thom Browne, the designer best known for making expensive, narrowly tailored suits that have been both enormously influential and endlessly mocked, has sold the majority stake of his business to the Cross Company, the Japanese apparel company he began a relationship with in August. The deal, announced Thursday, lets Mr. Browne maintain creative control of his collection. It will also take some financial pressure off the designer, whose business had been the subject of numerous reports of troubles over the last year.
      “It took a while for me to find somebody who understood what I really was about as a designer, and not just the suit but they lifestyle of the guy wearing the suit,” Mr. Browne said. “A lot of people forget we are business people, too.”
      Cross, which operates 200 stores in Asia, acquired a 20 percent stake in Mr. Browne’s business in August, and an additional amount this week that gave it a majority interest. The company will also install new management to run the designer collection, replacing Josh Sparks, who had been instrumental in restructuring Mr. Browne’s business since he joined the company in July.
      Mr. Browne’s business, by fashion industry standards, is tiny, with sales of about $6.5 million, but his impact has been felt on the style of men’s wear for the last decade, and the designer has also added collections for Moncler and Brooks Brothers. Mr. Browne said he hoped the capital infusion would allow him to continue to broaden his signature collection, something he began for spring by adding $200 sweats and T-shirts to the usual mix of $4,000 suits. He said he may decide to start showing his collections in Paris.
      “The most exciting things for me are to be able to strengthen the business in the United States and grow the business in Europe,” he said, adding that an expansion in Asia is also being developed.
      Reading the above and I don't even work in fashion, I can tell that it won't work. He is going about it all the wrong way. Fashion is about slowly building up a core following, developing and evolving in an organic way. Due to the price of the clothes your generally selling to people who are clued in abit more than the mainstream and when they read the above, they don't see something that they would like to wear but a business model. Everything about Thom Browne, even down to the name smells of a business plan and that just doesn't work in high end fashion. Sure it worked for a while with Gucci and what not, but even hip-hop don't buy into it anymore. The future is small designers selling to niche markets, like Damir Doma etc, if it blows up for them then fair enough, but starting out with global domination from the get go will just not work, we see them coming a mile off and it falls flat. Ambercrombie and Finch yes, high end fashion no.

He says “A lot of people forget we are business people, too”, I say not very good ones at that, every dog on the street is saying that short term thinking instead of building organically and proving yourself is the cause of the current slump. Short trousers are about as short term thinking as you can get. Its like a gimmick devised to become a trend and hopefully sell as much in a short term as possible.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

willis what you talk about?
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Mr. Browne said he hoped the capital infusion would allow him to continue to broaden his signature collection, something he began for spring by adding $200 sweats and T-shirts to the usual mix of $4,000 suits. He said he may decide to start showing his collections in Paris.
          Looking forward to copping my first pair of F/W 2012 Thom Browne hi-tops.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Magician
            • Jul 2008

There will be a Thom Browne diffusion line carried at Barneys this Spring.
            Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Magician View Post
              There will be a Thom Browne diffusion line carried at Barneys this Spring.
              Tom Brown?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KodakII
                • Sep 2008

^ do do browne

Comment

• Vanna
                  • May 2008

If Charlie Brown had a clothing line, I'd likely buy that over Browne's.
                  Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Magician
                    • Jul 2008

Tom Brown?

Yeah I'm actually a fan of his, but I can't imagine a diffusion line being all that successful. If you take away the impeccable craftmanship and tailoring all that proportion play becomes kind of gimmicky.
                    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• mononon
                      • Sep 2009

i think his diffusion line will be mainly basics like tees, long sleeves, possibly polos or so i've heard.
                      calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

basics, basics, basics, fuck basics, sick of these fucking basics, sick of that fucking word this year, everyone wants basics, i will go to uniqlo to buy basics - i want designer clothes. i want designers to be designers, not clothes manufacturers.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• orphée
                          • Apr 2008

Indeed. To my mind, 'diffusion' often raises the 'feed the masses' flag.

Comment

• orphée
                            • Apr 2008

First act in office: enormous tax on basics.

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

Nice profile by Guy Trebay in the nytimes...

Being Thom Browne: His Moment Is Now
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

The best thing about that article was finding out that him and Andrew Bolton are a couple :-)

The irony of that Obama piece was that it was the least TB piece imaginable. If someone said it was Jason Wu, it'd not be surprised.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎