X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eat me
    • May 2009

Originally posted by merz
    eat me, what are you on about? i've thought her stuff looked great and encouraged my female friends to buy it whenever possible. if the sort of silhouettes offend your sensibilities, what would you consider less 'out of shape and ugly' as to meet with your critical approval?
    My sensibilities... haha OK. Well, the reason i found these not appealing is how unflattering they are, and not really done on purpose. In case it was done on purpose, it wasn't done good.

Like, take first picture. What's wrong with the fit? Her boobs are squashed. There should be more give around armhole-to-chest part.

Second picture - what's with those flaps hanging on sides? Makes her appear like she weighted 200kg and then lost all the weight, apart from the skin flab that no hangs down her sides. Hardly a flattering look. The whole thing just wants to come off her shoulders.

Third pic. Same thing. You just can't have that kind of it on a shirt with this kind fabric. Looks horrible out of shape. And what's going on with the collar? Is it pulling down the back? Is it too big? Is it just poorly sewn?

Fourth pic. Looks ok. Fifth - as well.

Of course, to each his own. I wouldn't pick on it if it would be a new starting designer, or someone that I wouldn't really care to take another look. But as I said, I've seen a couple of her pieces at DSM, and there were much better than this. Also, as an offshoot of something as famous as CDiem, I'd imagine there would be a lot more consideration put into structure. The only excuse I can think of for these pics is poor model. But that's about it.

Hope that helps :).

Comment

• doldrums
      • Dec 2008

my wife, looking over my shoulder, caught a glimpse of the first dress and is apparently willing to drop $$$ for any help finding it

Comment

• baubas
        • Dec 2008

all these CD offshoots (except few) are like - we had the Beatles, lenon got killed.. then some time after Take That, Backstreet Boys and another crap was born...

being honest - i love CD, but i never bought any avantidietro, or whatever was after. out of all I can appreciate only LUC and MA+ ... all the rest are amateur copy cats.

up to date i'd rather buy (and look for) GENUINE and ORIGINAL stuff and that what was CD about ... not all these N4, sarah lanzi, and the rest (especially knowing they were assistants, work placements and etc without genuine understanding of the market and the niche they are trying to get in)

BORING

its like new era Armani - copy - paste

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

sara was actually a big contributer to carpe creatively

augusta is the one claiming to have but really is just speaking out of the arse, N4 hmm well he was there but i don't know what he did really if it was contributing into the creative field directly.

Comment

• surver
            • Oct 2007

what actually constitutes 'off-shoot'... i think unless the designer him/herself claims and uses his/her prior experience as part of his/her marketing then we can say they are 'off-shoots' trying ride on the fame and track of thier previous employer... but if they come out and do their own thing, i think we all should give them a fair chance to see what they can develop into, no? it's usually the ungiving criticality of 'us' that starts to 'frame' this person or that person as an 'off-shoot'...

in the case of augusta, i agree... having being at cdiem for such a brief period and really not having been involved in the creative side at all, and using cdiem as his main step-ladder to claim recognition... otherwise, others such as m.a+ and luc have much of their own integrity...

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I fully agree, these are not exactly off shoots, but people who have formerly worked with carpe diem. Whether or not the connection is relevant is one thing, but Luca, Amadei & co don't even ride this merit, in fact they seem quite hesitant even to mention any relation. Same could probably be said of Sarah Lanzi, but I don't know as I haven't heard her speak about her background.

Some designers might be a bit more up front about their connection, but its hard to say whether or not they want to bring this up themselves. I havent seen anyone write carpe diem on their clothing. press or media will easily ride on that information because it seemingly provides insight into the designers background, I know I've been quilty of this myself but as we've come to know it might be very meaningful or irrelevant. often its just a piece of information among others.

the Beatles - boy bands comparison was quite ridicilous and makes very little sense. designers like Sarah Lanzi and Issei Fujita, for example, did work with Carpe Diem, they are not someone with no connection to the original simply making copies.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

Agreed NDF. Surver brings up an excellent point that should be embraced (of all places) here. Most have no real desire to even talk about their design pedigree. All this jive talking is simply petty besmirching of character which is beneath us all, no?
                Hear here, "another offshoot" should be dropped from the thread title.
                Last edited by DHC; 06-05-2009, 02:55 AM.
                Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• ddohnggo
                  • Oct 2006

out of curiosity/deviation from original thread, but does anyone know how much of an impact simone from augusta made on cdiem, if any? i know his involvement was in the shoes, but did he design or just make them?
                  Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• surver
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                    out of curiosity/deviation from original thread, but does anyone know how much of an impact simone from augusta made on cdiem, if any? i know his involvement was in the shoes, but did he design or just make them?
                    from what i've heard - he wasn't even involved in the making of shoes! apparently he was there for something like 3 months and only did some publicity writing for altieri... something like that. someone correct me if i'm wrong... but that's what i've heard.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Looks like her website is up.

Sara Lanzi
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

You know what the most ironic thing about CDiem footwear being special? It's exactly that it's such a beautifully simple, classic shape that no one has bothered to do. It's mind boggling. Everyone tries to do this and that with footwear, and here is a man's boot in its primal purity. That's what I love about it.

And here is why CDiem is important - Altieri, in my opinion, singlandedly launched the concept of artisanship fused with artistry. If you were to take a snapshot of that landscape today, a few years after CDiem folded - who would you get except Poell, Paul Harnden, Volga Volga, and Geoffrey B. Small? A bunch of designers who cut their teeth at CDiem - LUC, m.a.+, augusta, lumen et umbra, francies, sara lanzi, individual sentiments. And I am not saying they are riding the coattails of Altieri's fame (besides, he really isn't famous at all), but the influence is clearly there.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asis
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                          the shoes where made by a very small family run factory somewhere in Italy, not in house.

Subsequently its rumored they denied to make Augusta's as they where to similar to c diems.

Comment

• DHC
                            • Jul 2007

Sara bringing the pomp back..haha.
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                              • Jan 2008

^ She is wonderful.

Whatever influence there is, she has absorbed it and
                              transformed it to something quite special I think.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

S/S 2010

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...