Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

ha ha lowrey i knew youd say something about the 2d...distribution vs. experience. i fought with this my whole life...
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

It's all part of a process, different sensation and aspects
      used to acquire knowledge of the work.
      I think It all has a certain value how the work plays
      itself out in different relations.

I'm yet to experience Individual Sentiments on my body,
      so I'll look forward to that when I get the chance.
      Lowrey's photography presents it well.
      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• RADO
        • Nov 2007

I disagree, shoes are gorgeous as well.

Comment

• sshum88
          • Dec 2007

For the Canadians on this board, Sydney's in Toronto will be carrying a few pieces of this collection. Sydney mentioned that he picked up some pants and outerwear including one of the 3 layer hooded coat. Limited selection but I think it's great that those of us in Toronto can have a chance to see first hand what everyone is talking about!
          Originally posted by eat me
          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• jamesd
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sshum88 View Post
            For the Canadians on this board, Sydney's in Toronto will be carrying a few pieces of this collection. Sydney mentioned that he picked up some pants and outerwear including one of the 3 layer hooded coat. Limited selection but I think it's great that those of us in Toronto can have a chance to see first hand what everyone is talking about!
            That's great news -- might have to make a trip up there. Sydney's is getting in some solid brands. I just hope they start to carry more pieces from each collection.

Comment

• deleuze
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jamesd View Post
              That's great news -- might have to make a trip up there. Sydney's is getting in some solid brands. I just hope they start to carry more pieces from each collection.
              That will happen but also expect the number of collections to be seriously dwindled down come next spring.

Comment

• hobo
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                i love it when you open a thread and theres a whole conversation about you that you missed

i prefer to try on clothes sober
                and then try them on drunk
                it helps with the editing process.

and i don't think i can ever go back to paris
                because im the sample size
                and nobody can tear me away from a good designer
                so i just keep trying stuff on
                til the authorities remove me.

srlsy though, for me, this is the only way to see a designers work.
                fuck the runway. i am truly getting less and less impressed. time for some innovation in category. fuck the photos. this shit aint 2d. but the showroom...unedited, laid bare, uncurated equals pure crack.

like the addict said, I narrowed it to two long coats. but then again i always hit on long coats. IS had three great linen fabrics for spring, the dark color esp. alluring. the cuts are elegant, and androgynous. the button closure system is neat. the collars really great. one had what i thought looked like a "fish gil" interplay in the construction near base...hard to explain, but really cool. the designer apparently went to art school, so i feel i can the romanticism of an artistic vision first, and then the rigor of an exceptional work ethic follow. these clothes are infectious, moody, they trigger desire, and are a nice respite from the current stable.

with dhc nurturing the line, i think in a few seasons time, it will assert itself as a favorite here.

yes, merz, there has been much improvement since i last saw the line a year ago.
                Rock on, my friend! anyone who knows me will probably know my sidekick and friend, the Fabulous Fred Fan (actually, come to think of it, maybe I'm his sidekick!!!)... Anyway, he loves the shows, he loves the glamour, he just loves being a part of it all...

Me, I'm with Philip and DHC. Give me it raw, in the flesh, with no frills, that's where I get down to the knitty gritty. That's where I learn to love. Laid bare!

Otherwise, get me to the bar, for a good discussion, of course!
                "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Hobo View Post
                  Rock on, my friend! anyone who knows me will probably know my sidekick and friend, the Fabulous Fred Fan (actually, come to think of it, maybe I'm his sidekick!!!)... Anyway, he loves the shows, he loves the glamour, he just loves being a part of it all...

Me, I'm with Philip and DHC. Give me it raw, in the flesh, with no frills, that's where I get down to the knitty gritty. That's where I learn to love. Laid bare!

Otherwise, get me to the bar, for a good discussion, of course!
                  To me there are many levels of enjoyment and information to be gained from various sources.

Roughly speaking:
                  -runway shows present the overall concepts, tone and give you an emotional understanding of the collection. You have a hard time discussing individual outfit but this is where you get what the season is about. You haven't really experienced rock'n'roll if you've never seen a live performance.

-showrooms: the raw deal. What are the pieces exactly, how are they constructed, what are the materials. More prosaic info (how much is it gonna cost) can also be gathered.

-Magazines: Draw bridges between collection and present seasonal moods, trends. Mass accessibility is a good thing.

-Internets: Free flow of information and in depth discussion of certain designers. Democratic access, store info, feedback about product, second hand clothes, etc. You're going to learn more about CCP by reading the thread here than by seeing the showroom but you're never going to really get what he's about before you handle his pieces.

-Street pictures blogs: everyone loves a good handjob and the internet has shown us that we even like seeing other people get them.

stores: exposure, discovery and acquisition. The great ones have their own angle on this whole fashion thing and you even discover new ways of looking at what you already knew. That's what a good buy is about; you've seen it elsewhere but you discover a new side of it because of the store.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

nice breakdown and completely agree. while i wouldn't wear walter van beirendonck, i think his show in Paris was fun and refreshing.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hobo
                      • Jul 2009

Absolute mind-blower!!!

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                      To me there are many levels of enjoyment and information to be gained from various sources.

Roughly speaking:
                      -runway shows present the overall concepts, tone and give you an emotional understanding of the collection. You have a hard time discussing individual outfit but this is where you get what the season is about. You haven't really experienced rock'n'roll if you've never seen a live performance.

-showrooms: the raw deal. What are the pieces exactly, how are they constructed, what are the materials. More prosaic info (how much is it gonna cost) can also be gathered.

-Magazines: Draw bridges between collection and present seasonal moods, trends. Mass accessibility is a good thing.

-Internets: Free flow of information and in depth discussion of certain designers. Democratic access, store info, feedback about product, second hand clothes, etc. You're going to learn more about CCP by reading the thread here than by seeing the showroom but you're never going to really get what he's about before you handle his pieces.

-Street pictures blogs: everyone loves a good handjob and the internet has shown us that we even like seeing other people get them.

stores: exposure, discovery and acquisition. The great ones have their own angle on this whole fashion thing and you even discover new ways of looking at what you already knew. That's what a good buy is about; you've seen it elsewhere but you discover a new side of it because of the store.
                      You could not be more right, down to the smallest detail. Really though, I just got excited reading your post. I've never actually analyzed it in such depth. I think it’s because I place the emphasis on the showroom, because that’s the crucial part for me as a buyer. I do go to the shows and now I can see the advantages of a good forum.
                      Maybe you could recommend some magazines because I really have difficulty getting to grips with them, so I never read them, at all. I find the editorial in the mainstream ones painful!
                      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Magazines recommendations are a tough business, because they are so inconsistent. Sometimes you get a good issue of i-D, and the next one will be bad. The only one I've been liking more or less is Another Magazine. I think Jefferson Hack is doing a decent job there. I can't think of a consistently good man's magazine at all. Arena Homme Plus is supposed be the pinnacle, but it's mostly crap (although this issue had some highlights, like Rick's photoshoot and lots of vintage Helmut Lang in its editorials).
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                          ¤¤¤
                          • Sep 2006

Yeah, i-D is sometimes good. Encens revue is great. 'A Magazine' is also decent, but not really a magazine. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Some/Things will be like.
                          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• hobo
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Magazines recommendations are a tough business, because they are so inconsistent. Sometimes you get a good issue of i-D, and the next one will be bad. The only one I've been liking more or less is Another Magazine. I think Jefferson Hack is doing a decent job there. I can't think of a consistently good man's magazine at all. Arena Homme Plus is supposed be the pinnacle, but it's mostly crap (although this issue had some highlights, like Rick's photoshoot and lots of vintage Helmut Lang in its editorials).
                            Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                            Yeah, i-D is sometimes good. Encens revue is great. 'A Magazine' is also decent, but not really a magazine. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Some/Things will be like.
                            I really can't be arsed with I-D and Homme Plus. I don't have the time or the inclination to wade through shit in the hope of finding some little precious. I looked at Another once and remember thinking that it looked reasonable. I'll definately check out the others though, thanks. I looked at POP once and seem to remember that was ok, but it can't have been that good, because I can't remember whether I liked it or not!

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

Runway shows are better when the designer does the styling. Although I have to say that I rarely pair pieces the way the shows do, its nice to see how they put it all together for a cohesive run of looks in accordance with their concept for the season. The problem is I'm always picking apart outfits as they walk down the runway and its just easier to go by piece in the showroom where visual and tactile experience meet. That and I don't like to be spoon fed.
                              Fashion magazines
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• hobo
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                                fashion magazines
                                Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about them... but one more look won't kill me!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎