X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ran
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by laika View Post
    I know because I am a long time member of this forum, and I am well acquainted with the people who have posted in this thread thus far.

Welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome! and i will tell u that there are bigger professionals (if we're talking designers) here who are just lurking (i was recently turned on to the site by one) but i guess maybe not on this thread... i don't know. and i've gotten the impression from many of the posts that some of you are in the industry and could be considered professionals... wrong?

Originally posted by Casius View Post
    Also, I think placement of details is what sets things a part
    is this thinking what drives NY fashion to such dull depths?

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ran View Post
      Thanks for the welcome! and i will tell u that there are bigger professionals (if we're talking designers) here who are just lurking (i was recently turned on to the site by one) but i guess maybe not on this thread... i don't know. and i've gotten the impression from many of the posts that some of you are in the industry and could be considered professionals... wrong?
      Oft suspected, never confirmed. I wish they'd let themselves be known even just a little bit from time to time :)
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ran
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        Oft suspected, never confirmed. I wish they'd let themselves be known even just a little bit from time to time :)
        i'd reckon there are many - this is the coolest internet fashion discussion spot i've come upon; and who wouldn't want to see what's being written about them. as for their surfacing, they've got to act like they don't care, you know.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

^ hehehe. Of course of course.

I know of a couple "heavy hitters" that check out SZ. Would be interested in knowing of more :)
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
            I didn't see the show, but as a general rule, I absolutely agree 100% with what Zam said here^. And, people, Zam's own garments blow other nyc boutique designers out of the water, both construction and quality wise. (Faust can also vouch for this.) So not only is he the only professional here, but he knows what he's talking about!!

Also, wouldn't we all like to be as supportive and constructive here as possible, since the designer is one of our own, in a sense?

Faust, I really appreciate how balanced and informative your review is. Looking forward to more in that vein.
            Sure, as soon as Marc Jacobs shows.

I also agree with Zam. Customers will vote with their wallets on this, and I also think that the youngsters need time. Through my largely negative reaction to Damir, for example, I have always said that he needs time to evolve and that I wish for him to do so. One of the things that has led me to take it easy on young designers is seeing Yohji Yamamotos menswear shows from late 80s/early 90s. Believe me when I tell you, they were pretty bad.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post

I can confirm, without naming names, obviously.

Ran, thank you for the compliment - I think a lot of us are just sincerely passionate about fashion, creative fashion at that, and hence have acquired a lot of knowledge that is really on a professional level. Also, by professional, Laika meant a designer who can conceive and construct a garment from A to Z.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lesnubians91
                • Feb 2009

Odyn Vovk

I really loved the show I think it was brilliant to have the male albino Shaun Ross in the show and cole mohr just brilliant I would love to see more of those two together in shows and who ever picked out the outfits just genius

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

i love that we're talking about male models...shouldn't there be a thread. need to know male model celebrity.

and this was my favorite look so thanks for pointing it out. there's great potential here.
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

yes - male models + no punctuation = next level discussion.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                      • Apr 2008

ha your influence on me faust is now i do use the occasional full stop at the end of some of my setences. :)

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ran View Post
                        I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but what I meant by saying that is the details can be what makes or breaks a garment and I think Odyn's details are quite good.

That said; I am judging this collection purely on my own aesthetics and what I am able to see from the photos. To judge this too harsh seems unfair because there isn't enough to go on, especially for Odyn's first show. I like what he's doing with the line and at the moment I think it's too early to give a more in depth reason why because I don't know anything about Austin, his reason for designing, his vision, etc. That all will come with time.
                        But to be honest, if I'm basing my judgement on a designer's vision/aesthetic/background, I would probably only buy 2 or 3 designers right now (Poell and MA....and Altieri whenever he decides to come out of hiding). I know I don't buy Julius, Attachment, and even Rick because I reason with their design ethos. I buy them because I like the pieces they make and sometimes, that's all I need. :)
                        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

So is price the main incentive for prospective buyers here? Everything either seems like a reiteration of things that have been beasted upon like mad in the past or just overly chiseled and contrived ideas..

For instance.. I'm not even going to mention the glove, and look at the asymmetry of the jacket. I always thought that asymmetry should be unassumingly so, not just for the purpose of being asymmetrical. As mentioned before, it seems forced.

Seems like people are either all about the lowish prices, and giving the guy a break, or they're upset because they probably could have designed a better and more original collection. All I know is what I like- I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I wouldn't wear anything from OV, because for many pieces there are better, other pieces to be had, even if they're slightly more expensive I would rather pay more for something that I felt deeper resonance with and pride in wearing.

Anyway, shit, that's how I feel about it.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

back from my Sabbath sabbatical.............

Faust and Laika you are too kind, I should make laika the permanet muse of my house and hire Faust for PR............. because you guys are making my head swell so big i might have to leave the living room because of inadequate space.
                            [QUOTE=BeauIXI;125461]So is price the main incentive for prospective buyers here? Everything either seems like a reiteration of things that have been beasted upon like mad in the past or just overly chiseled and contrived ideas..

For instance.. I'm not even going to mention the glove, and look at the asymmetry of the jacket.
                            Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                            I always thought that asymmetry should be unassumingly so, not just for the purpose of being asymmetrical. As mentioned before, it seems forced.
                            everyone is basically speaking from their vantage point I would like to know your criteria to determine whether this is unassuming as opposed to, as you say......"forced"

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                            Seems like people are either all about the lowish prices, and giving the guy a break, or they're upset because they probably could have designed a better and more original collection. All I know is what I like- I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I wouldn't wear anything from OV, because for many pieces there are better, other pieces to be had, even if they're slightly more expensive I would rather pay more for something that I felt deeper resonance with and pride in wearing.
                            well, i might be wrong, but i think it was the late Rudy Gernreich that said " the word original doesnt exist in fashion" and he may have been right. the reality is that all designers, at least in modern times, are inspired by something or someone else, quite likely a predecessor of the profession. i dont have a problem with OV basing his early works on Rick, Julius etc. and thats no reason to consider him unworthy of support (matter of fact we aren't even certain if those are his inspirations!) as i have said before and will say again, the stores and the customers, of which there are many will decide
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• BeauIXI
                              • Nov 2008

Naturally "inspired" is the best word to describe the relationship between two art pieces, but I've noticed some pieces are more "based on" others. As I said earlier, I'm not a fashion critic, this is simply personal observation. My take on that jacket is not that its asymmetrical property is not part of its nature, it seems like the asymmetricality of it is not a neatly wrapped up and natural part of the jacket. The lines do not flow for me. It's too easy to just make one side longer, you need to integrate asymmetry into the jacket better than that. Not to mention, there is little coherence between lines on either side. It looks more like someone zipped it up strangely rather than being an asymmetrical jacket.

This website is called Style Zeitgeist. The zeitgeist is a collective art consciousness that inspires, informs and spawns new instances of its influence. To say that Damir Doma is not in any way influenced by Rick Owens because he preferred Raf Simons is illogical- of course he's witnessed Ricks' lines, and that's had an effect on his work. Would we say that Damir Doma has copied Rick Owens? No, of course not- simply looking at their lines proves that. I would say that that is what old Rudy was getting at, not directly taking a certain niche and even creating collages out of bits and pieces from designers we know and love, is not.

I think that letting the consumers decide is the worst way to judge whether or not OV is original. People have said "well, I could just get an OV tank for $100.00 less than a Rick one, and have essentially the same thing". OV looks to me like he's just observed what's dope, and is now recreating that for people.

Damir Doma had Raf Simons as an inspiration for his work, and his shit is original. Boris Bidjan Saberi is bringing new shit to the table too. I'm not saying we lynch the man, I'm just saying that I don't feel that Odyn Vovk represents me, or anything that I would like to represent myself. Then again, just wait, you'll see me in an OV tank by the end of this year.
                              Originally posted by philip nod
                              somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

yeh the designer has seemedto adopt a mix of bits from various designers already out there i cant see anything wrong with collection but still nothing grabs me, it has been said before hes young but i feel maybe he is trying to run before he can walk just be patient and wait til you are sure you can do your own thing.

The pieces are easily identifyable as others the coat above the collar is probally a copy of obscur
                                baboo cardi - boris bidjan
                                numerious refrences to rick and julius
                                ccp mask
                                and its not like we dont know where he gets these refrences from

He has mixed them up but the people who is aiming for have seen it all before and own the orginals, he is ment to be a designer not a stylist.

The original garments here are maybe the waistcoat and the back zip top, which i dont really like either.
                                The fact he used cole mohr to close the show what the fuck does that say he is just trying to fit in with every other designer in a already crammed market.

I feel he is starting out to early unless he is just doing this with bussiness and not creativity in mind. Cause his price point is lower, well then fair enough but it doesnt grab me.

"people will pay for orginality in a ression" this just doesnt have any

People say first impressions count and there is no personality here for me to get a refrence from the desgner so i feel he has to do something specail next season to redeem himself...?
                                Also i cant say the name, font, concept etc really appeals to me 'THE DARK LORD' yeh cheesy or what, i mean cheese is good sometimes but he doesn't do this with any tounge in cheek.
                                fair enough the collection was styled nice but thats the problem its only nice you need some contraversary this doesn't have it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎