Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jurgi Persoons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hamletpowpowpow
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 389

    Jurgi Persoons

    anyone remember this fine belgian?

    the recent discussion about old school raf simons made me go back through my belgians and yeah, boy did i really dig jurgi pursoons. really deconstructed and worn. i used to buy his stuff for my ex gf all the time....i was listening to a lot of mego stuff at the time and it just made sense to me. also, his presentations were pretty cool and his invites and whole aesthetic was pretty fantastic i thought.

    he had some pieces in the fit belgian show back in 2000, and i remember really digging it.

    whatever happened to him? anyone know?
  • ddohnggo
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 4477

    #2
    Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
    anyone remember this fine belgian?

    the recent discussion about old school raf simons made me go back through my belgians and yeah, boy did i really dig jurgi pursoons. really deconstructed and worn. i used to buy his stuff for my ex gf all the time....i was listening to a lot of mego stuff at the time and it just made sense to me. also, his presentations were pretty cool and his invites and whole aesthetic was pretty fantastic i thought.

    he had some pieces in the fit belgian show back in 2000, and i remember really digging it.

    whatever happened to him? anyone know?
    definitely makes sense!
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

    Comment

    • Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006
      • 37852

      #3
      If you google, my post about him on my old blog comes up as the first link (proud to say this :-)). He was definitely a true talent and one of my favorite designers. He actually found the post and posted a comment, and then I emailed him. He said he is doing Ok, but didn't tell me what it is he is doing. Anyway, check out the thread, and I'll try to post a few things here. There is also a very good thread about him on the fashion spot. Check it out.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

      StyleZeitgeist Magazine

      Comment

      • baizilla
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2006
        • 379

        #4
        I have some Jurgi Persoons and Angelo Figus archive pics lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can have it up by tomorrow.

        Comment

        • hamletpowpowpow
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 389

          #5
          i wasn't sure if i wasn't going to get an earful for posting about him. can never tell on this place.i'll definitely scoot on over to yr blog and check it out.

          and baizilla - yes, photos, please! especially if you have presenation shots.

          but i definitely credit jurgi pursoons for getting me interested in fashion. i grew up in the punk and hardcore scene, and to me, at the time, fashion seemed to be completely useless. it was jurgi and raf simons who made me take a second look, made me realize that it could be just as high of an art form as anything else.

          Comment

          • baizilla
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2006
            • 379

            #6
            I have some AW1999-2000 and some earlier pics.. perhaps 1996. I'll check it out.

            Comment

            • zamb
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 5834

              #7
              jurgi was an extraordinary talent, other than theyskens probably the most talented of the second generation belgian designers, its a shame he had to stop doing business. so many talented designers arent doing business anymore..................
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................


              Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

              Comment

              • hamletpowpowpow
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 389

                #8
                theyskens...that's a name i haven't heard in a while. i remember even being impressed by early a.f. vandevorst collections, but mostly their presentations. i remember one being in an old abandoned bath house which i thought was pretty fantastic.

                and wasn't it jurgi who had the presentation with the women in the asylum...the models all in bed? or was that an early ann demeulemeester one...? i know jurgi did a few things with the models on these inclined medical tables, as well as a presentation in a local park at night...the models hidden throughout. man, why don't people do that anymore? fuck the runway.

                Comment

                • orphée
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 311

                  #9
                  Love the detail of the nervous stitching -- now I really need to pay a visit to the design museum in Antwerp.

                  Comment

                  • baizilla
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 379

                    #10

                    Spring/Summer 1996.


                    Autumn/Winter 1997-1998.


                    Article about his Spring/Summer 1999 presentation.


                    Autumn/Winter 1999-2000.

                    Comment

                    • Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006
                      • 37852

                      #11
                      Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                      theyskens...that's a name i haven't heard in a while. i remember even being impressed by early a.f. vandevorst collections, but mostly their presentations. i remember one being in an old abandoned bath house which i thought was pretty fantastic.

                      and wasn't it jurgi who had the presentation with the women in the asylum...the models all in bed? or was that an early ann demeulemeester one...? i know jurgi did a few things with the models on these inclined medical tables, as well as a presentation in a local park at night...the models hidden throughout. man, why don't people do that anymore? fuck the runway.
                      That was A.F.Vandevorst. I am starting to think that we need a thread called "The Other Belgians," based on how this is quickly getting derailed, lol.

                      PowWow, I would advise you to pick up this book if you have money. Based on what you posted here, it look like this will be a priceless addition for you. And thank you for starting this thread - sometimes I forget all these wonderful talents.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                      StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                      Comment

                      • hamletpowpowpow
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 389

                        #12
                        faust,

                        good call - i already have the book. gift from the ex that turned me on to the belgians in the first place. ;)

                        yeah, i'm oddly nostalgic for the mid to late 90's, so i thought i'd poke around a bit. glad you appreciate it too.

                        so no clue as to what jurgi is doing? he never said?

                        and baizilla - thanks for those images...especially because they include miss o'connor.


                        Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        That was A.F.Vandevorst. I am starting to think that we need a thread called "The Other Belgians," based on how this is quickly getting derailed, lol.

                        PowWow, I would advise you to pick up this book if you have money. Based on what you posted here, it look like this will be a priceless addition for you. And thank you for starting this thread - sometimes I forget all these wonderful talents.

                        Comment

                        • zamb
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 5834

                          #13
                          Originally posted by merz
                          I hear you on theyskens, zam. was going through my image folder today and stopped on one of his pieces. any idea of why these people decided to withdraw into obscurity? I can't help but feel they still had much to contribute.



                          nostalgia moment, seems things really were better back when. i can now say this with a measure of justified certainty.
                          it is not difficult to understand why......., this business can be a soulless abyss, there is so much demanded of you as a designer, so much money that is often needed to invest in a gambling kind of way, sometimes a designer just want to keep it small and simple but the industry is not often favorable to that....... so it forces you to try and operate sometimes in a state where the efforts to succeed causes the designer to lose control, at that point even though you love the work and the creative process, life becomes more peaceful to walk away from it all............
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................


                          Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

                          Comment

                          • Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006
                            • 37852

                            #14


                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                            StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                            Comment

                            • zamb
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 5834

                              #15
                              Man............you workin' hard
                              Promise I will play my part, just busy and behind with S/S 2010

                              here is some eye candy..........

                              also, nice Blog post with some cool, but small visuals of his Work
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................


                              Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎