Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catfood
    • Oct 2008

Personally I think the jackets can look quite good. However the collection in general is very simple and boring, and he has done the same thing now for 2 or 3 seasons? Personally I don't get the hype and I suspect most of the attention the house gets is because of the pricing over anything else, because there certainly isn't much creativity about it. Same goes for the people buying it, I'm guessing they buy it mainly because of the easy recognition and the association with high price.

On the other hand I guess you could argue that a lot of the dresses, jeans etc are quite wearable.

Comment

• fadetogrey
      • Apr 2009

I find Balmain is over hyped. They get so much love from "fashion bloggers" trying to emulate the runway looks and worshiping their "new favorite designer 4ever!" and not to mention the VP (Vogue Paris) crew's head-to-toe endorsement. After all, Emanuelle Alt is a consultant for the brand or something.

The short dresses with the cut-outs are sexy when you look at them on the runway, but if I saw somebody in real life wearing one, I would think "hmm... a little attention-whorey"... and it's not something I would be caught dead wearing. But I guess "attention" is the point with jewel-encrusted, mesh cut-out mini dresses. The one piece I don't mind is the leather jacket with the boulder shoulders because it's simple, more sculptural, and doesn't look like a bucket of rhinestones threw up on it.

The specific look in question is ok- the only piece I like is the blazer- sans that big rhinestone picture frame of a brooch.

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

i do not like kate moss nor this.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

i don't get tilda's appeal.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Why worship at the altar when you can have woman's warmth and softness?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

While I know what you are saying and have felt that, I think I have moved on (not that I think I am any wiser for that). It's all right, for all the suffering, there is nothing more beautiful than an incorrigible romantic.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

fuck balmain.

Comment

• Alesha
                  • Apr 2009

Recently, I encountered a wise man from the inner circle of certain infamous russian (well known for being in a little trouble at certain french ski resolt), who delivered onto me, following "wisdom":

- A man who likes sex, has sex with anything that moves. A man who is picky about women, likes only himself and doesn't really need to have sex with said woman.

And Balmain... My mother likes Balmain. That about sums up what I think about it.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• jamesd
                    • Sep 2008

I like the top half of the look (do not like the pants), at least on a very skinny woman, like the model (or Kate Moss for that matter) -- not sure how I would feel if I saw it on 99% of other woman.

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Just my 2 cent.

I'm not going to say that everything that Balmain does is awesome beyond belief. But I went to Selfridges to feel the jacket in person (but not this one, the denim one). I must say, it's one of the top 5 the most beautiful garments I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot. The finish, the construction, everything is just top notch.

The price... Yeah, the jeans are definitely stretching the limit (£900), but the jacket? Not so much, when you consider that for example, Marc Jacobs is putting the same tag on one of his simple Chanel-like biker jacket, that's not worth even a 10th of Balmain's one.

It's just a detail I dislike because it's such an obvious deviation from the norm.
                      Right, of course. So what is it that can change silhouettes and not be obvious? Crotch? Legs? Hips? Bust? Chest? It can be said about anything. But there is even something more obvious than what Balmain did - just not changing a thing. Come on, there's plenty of brands that do same stuff over and over again, so sometimes someone should deviate, and I'm glad Balmain did.

To appreciate it, find a good looking slim girl with some style, go down to a shop and put it on her. It might be not your thing, but it's a beautiful thing nonetheless.

Comment

• christianef
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        i don't get tilda's appeal.
                        as an actress i don't like her. but i would pick her in Haider over kate in topshop if i was man.

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

Comment

• KodakII
                            • Sep 2008

I still don't see why editors are crazy for Balmain; Peter Dundas was doing this in '06 at Ungaro. I guess it is all about being in the right time and place.

Comment

• Vanna
                              • May 2008

Not a fan of Balmain, but Jennifer can wear anything:

Well, except for those hideous shoes.
                              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                as an actress i don't like her. but i would pick her in Haider over kate in topshop if i was man.
                                food for thought.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎