• Show
Clear All
  • Tia
    Banned
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
    my tailor is ccp
    Agree with Philip,

CCP is better than Rick, wearability of CCP is exceptional, Rick, although his greatest fan, has structured his back in an excessive and that is why I preferred to buy CCP.
    The case is only in this situation, because personally I like all the rest Rick.

Comment

• ES3K
      • Oct 2008

Nice thread idea IMHO. My interest in Rick started with leather/longsleeves/sneakers (the usual career path) but now I'm more interested in his tailoring. And altough I'm still not sure if I do look a little bit ridiculous when wearing my blazer, I'm in love with the fabric, the white silk lining, the zipper inside pockets...

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

Pure poetry. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Wow, thank you all for derailing this thread. Wonderful. Christian tries to start something worthwhile and it goes to shit in a matter of a few hours.

Christian, one interesting thing you might want to know is that Rick does not actually tailor his stuff, as far as I understand, but works together with a tailor to manifest his ideas.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Christian, one interesting thing you might want to know is that Rick does not actually tailor his stuff, as far as I understand, but works together with a tailor to manifest his ideas.
            We were talking about it yesterday with BSR. That's what I'd understood as well from one his recent interview.

No, problem, I should have choosen another title : "CCP vs RO : who's got the bigger dick ?". Would have been sold better.

Comment

• Chant
              Banned
              • Jun 2008

Since I'm not a poet, but a prig, here's another diagram to explain why blazers and coats have such narrow shoulders and this strange horizontal shape.

For example, I fit into 44 cms large shoulders in CCP, but 42 cms in RO.

How is this possible ?

Let me explain it to all of you, with the help of Hobo's little brother :

Shoulder seam is actually not on the shoulder, but much higher, in the extension of the biceps, since RO uses very thick shoulder pads - much thicker than any regular shoulder pad -, hence shoulder seam is higher and nearer to the neck.

So, you people are happy now ?
              Last edited by Chant; 11-06-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                How is this possible ?

Shoulder seam is actually not on the shoulder, but much higher, in the extension of the biceps, since RO uses very thick shoulder pads - much thicker than any regular shoulder pad, hence shoulder seam is higher and nearer to te neck.
                Funny you mention it, I actually came across this detail yesterday as I attempted to hang my Rick Blazer on one of my wooden Damir hangers which feature a wide rounded edge on the ends. As soon as I hung the jacket over the hanger, I noticed a strange and unflattering bulging from the upper arm. I haven't had a jacket with this much shoulder construction [or better yet modification] since my Cloak suit.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Wow, thank you all for derailing this thread. Wonderful. Christian tries to start something worthwhile and it goes to shit in a matter of a few hours.
                  I know this is not high school but that guy is so hot
                  Sorry, I can't think of a beter word.
                  I felt like a turd when I asked him if there was a bathroom in the store...

edit: my bad, he doesn't have facial tatoos, as i said in the other thread...just head tats...it's not so much the tats that's so good about him but the way he carries himself...
                  http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

Shoulder seam is actually not on the shoulder, but much higher, in the extension of the biceps, since RO uses very thick shoulder pads - much thicker than any regular shoulder pad, hence shoulder seam is higher and nearer to te neck.

yes, despite not using shoulder pads, this is how he cuts the shoulders on his leathers. his shoulder lines typically fall 1 1/2 - 2in from my natural shoulder line. this is frustrating at times, which is why i'm not fond of it for the tailored pieces.
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                      • Sep 2009

that, my friends, is a man that can pull off medges...

Comment

• ES3K
                        • Oct 2008

Christian, you are the vanguard for Rick tailoring.

(...) Let me explain it to all of you, with the help of Hobo's little brother (...)
                        LOL!

Comment

• asho
                          • Nov 2007

The only piece of this collection with potential to survive for a few seasons in the corbu coat. the rest is too focussed on an unrealistic silhouette for menswear.

the darts pointing down from the neck on the back of the blazers are very unsightly because of the way the fabric gapes at the start/finish. ruin the whole thing regardless of what they create from front on

Comment

• agentred
                            • Jul 2009

Is it just me or do the horizontal pads look too feminine?

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                              • Sep 2009

You have to be Batman to pull it off, agentred.

EDIT: I am aware that those are not bats on his head, but other birds...no disrespect to the meaning it has for him...I shall continue to use the metaphor though ;)
                              Last edited by genevieveryoko; 11-06-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by agentred View Post
                                Is it just me or do the horizontal pads look too feminine?
                                I wouldn't necessarily say they look feminine, it is the neck darts in the back that makes the jackets look feminine, or at least androgynous................. the way the jackets are cut, as Christian Chant stated, creates an optical illusion, where the sleeves of the jackets can be cut much longer, creating a visually leaner silhouette with the defined waistline.
                                I understand what Rick is doing here, as a tailor myself I respect it, but not sure if i like it..........
                                Also, with the raising of the shoulder line, if my calculations are correct, the Jacket could effectively have a bigger armhole circumference (mathematically speaking) while maintaining a very high armhole. This should allow greater range of motion in the shoulder/ bicep are of the Jacket without widening the shoulders.....
                                (something that CCP has failed to do, or better yet has not done.........his Jackets are somewhat restricting in the shoulders)

and While we are at it, I think the comparisons between Rick and Carol's tailoring are quite unreasonable. This is so because both are approaching tailoring from two different vantage points, with different objectives in mind.
                                From what I have seen in CCP's work, he is a traditionalist. there is an unwavering effort in his work to distill tailoring to its very essence and then raise what is distilled to its highest art form.
                                Whatever experiments he does, is never in conflict with the traditional rules of tailoring, but complementary to the parameters of the trade.............

Rick's tailoring is a different beast, rick is more of an experimentalist, still learning. I am speaking with some level of ignorance here (this is because I am less familiar with Rick's tailored pieces) However, its seems Owens has some very good ideas for tailored garments, a desire to expand his repertoire, and tailoring is a means to that end, so while he is desiring to learn the artform (he said so himself) it is with the intent to bend, break or use in whatever way, these rules to realize his ideas............... For him there seems to be no desire to maintain tradition but to use the artform it as a means to an end..........
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎