Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Verdandi
    • Mar 2012

Come to think about it, Galliano has shown throughout his career (well, at least until 2005) a fine sense for taking apart and rearranging garments and injecting historical pieces with humour much like Margiela used to do.
    Or maybe this is just me grasping at straws right now.

And dear WWD: Margiela didn't belong to the original Antwerp Six.
    Last edited by Verdandi; 10-06-2014, 12:34 PM.
    lavender menace

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Got a phone call today from a Margiela devotee who swore she'll never buy another Margiela piece again.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

"They hired the most visible designer to replace the most invisible designer,
        which is very ironic and funny and from that point of view,
        very much in the spirit of Maison Martin Margiela"

– Bea Ercolini, Editor-in-Chief, Belgian Elle.

Or maybe they can just change the label's name to HMMM.
        sain't

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

Hail Gali.... i guess. who cares about mmm anyways, this is like talking about the new Rolling Stones album. they haven't made anything relevant in how long??????

Comment

• Blackman
            • Feb 2011

have we all forgot that JG is into harnden? maybe he put his gaudy ways to the side.

If MMM can make clothes out of duvet covers, I guess we should give him a shot.

Right?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I think this is a guilty until proven innocent case and no verbal gymnastics on the part of Belgian Elle editor can make it otherwise.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• applecrisp
                • Jun 2013

I love Galliano more than probably anyone on earth.

Some of his collections for CD are some of my favorite of all time. Some of his mens collections for Galliano are also high on my list of all-time favs. He is exactly what's missing from the "fashion world" (whatever that is) with all his flair and showmanship. I couldn't contain my joy when I heard he was going to be on Charlie Rose. Even seeing some of his design input for Oscar De La Renta on the runway made me smile.

But this pairing makes very little sense to me. But I'm very intrigued to see what will happen, at least it will be interesting.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                  • Apr 2014

If he can bring back the og 5 zip I'll be happy. That's all I care about within the brand anymore.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I just can't wait for him to come out at the end of the first Margiela show dressed as a pirate.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Blackman
                        • Feb 2011

what I'm expecting is a maintaining of minimalist flair..a few rough cuts here, unfinished hems there, deconstructed loud designs that would originally be considered tacky or obnoxious, but margielized.

JG will reference the archives to keep og's satisfied, but he will make sure his signature is imprinted somehow.

As heidi has transmogrified YSL, I see drastic upheavals in what we will know as MMM.

Maybe for each number, their will be variance in his design process. One of the numbers he may go full blown galliano.

Imagine Galiiano's 0 collection
                        4&14 will be where they will make a bulk of sales from consumers. It could be Heavily brand name centric.

this is just what I imagine....

Comment

• nicelynice
                          • Oct 2009

Is it wrong that I'm excited for the WTFness of this? I like the most basic, boring Margiela pieces possible and I'm sure there's enough of those out there at this point. Now that we're well past the point of the brand's namesake moving on, replacing "anonymous creative team" with a ranting pirate on a brand like MMM should at least be entertaining on some level... right? I feel sorry for any true following the brand still has or for those who value the legacy of Margiela, but I'm at least curious what this will look like.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                            • Apr 2014

If he truly wants to be accepted back in the industry, then he will respect what is already established with the maison, and work from there. If he goes the direction of Raf, ignoring the codes, and just fuck everything up with the brand that houses him at the moment (Dior), then he'll be totally done, but I highly doubt it.

I really do want him to do well at Margiela though, and make me find the menswear appealing again.

Comment

• syed
                              • Sep 2010

He'll probably just do what he did at Dior - be super respectful of the house for a season or two, then once everyone is lulled into a sense of security....BOOM, go Galliano on them.
                              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• franco
                                • Oct 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍