X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I'm so over Harnden, it's not even funny.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LelandJ
      Banned
      • Apr 2014

Never really understood how upper middle class peasantry and avant garde styles mixed.

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

i've been looking but i can't seem to find any stores online that carries harnden? can someone give me a hand?

Comment

• bonejelly
          • Jul 2008

Paul's collections are not available online. Brick and mortar stockists can be found elsewhere in this thread though.

Comment

• Marlon
            • Sep 2011

Only store I've seen carrying online stuff is this one (no pictures though) :

メンズファッションブランド、honor gathering, kolor, フランクリーダー, ゴールデングース, tembea, ts(s), brown by 2-tacsその他数多くのブランドを扱っている『acoustics』。

Comment

• bukka
              • Sep 2011

Who's going to buy PH from a website without any pictures?
              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• i-d-g
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                Never really understood how upper middle class peasantry and avant garde styles mixed.
                i have to agree to this here. don't get me wrong- i love both styles, but i don't understand the process of how they got integrated.

whenever i see a harnden/rick fit, something about it seems incongruent. the philosophies of those two brands have zero common ground.
                “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• zen dog
                  • Jan 2014

^ Perhaps this is going to boil down to a definition of avant garde but I don't see any problem here.

I have no problem with calling fashion an art form and art has always searched varied sources to confront the viewer (wearer). This goes from new materials, scientific advances, social concepts to even looking back to common "languages" and older/other cultures.

Drop crotch has to owe some debt to pants worn falling off low which came from beltless pants in prison.
                  Fraying from clothing worn beyond its time due to financial limits. Oversize also?
                  I wonder if waxed or treated pants came from clothing unwashed to the extreme- think homeless.

Bottom line- its all fair game and you don't have to like it but if something about it bothers you at least think you've been challenged.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by i-d-g View Post
                    i have to agree to this here. don't get me wrong- i love both styles, but i don't understand the process of how they got integrated.

whenever i see a harnden/rick fit, something about it seems incongruent. the philosophies of those two brands have zero common ground.
                    I've seen it done well.

But what are we talking about here? Peasant-style as avant-garde or simply mixing Harnden and Rick? Two vastly different topics - one is philosophy and the other one is WAYWT.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by i-d-g View Post

Also agree. In most cases, it would make more sense to swap the black PH blazer out for a CCP leather or Rick blazer or any other expensive black jacket.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                        • Jan 2011

I don't know--Tbone had me pretty sold on some Rick drop crotches paired with a Harnden jacket. (Of course, this was back when Rick still wowed me with the intricacy of patterns, cut and fabric choices. I don't know what's going on over there with the excessive embellishments these days, but that's for another discussion) I think it's too easy to say that the designer themselves defines what items of theirs are best paired with other items. In the case of Harnden, some of it looks a little ridiculous and we justify it because Paul is adhering to a niche look and aesthetic and hence defining what we think the jacket ought to be paired with, for example. Truthfully, I think as Faust once pointed out, Harnden jackets often look better with skinnier pants and I really like wide, loose pants on the right people. I could easily see it being worn with Layer-0 canvas jeans, CDG or Forme dropcrotches, or any other number of items.

I don't remember whose signature it is, but I will attempt to paraphrase it: "The overarching philosophy is 'does it look sick as fuck?'"

Comment

• Marlon
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                          Who's going to buy PH from a website without any pictures?
                          Not talking for me but some people just need the reference of the item to buy it online. I can understand it (if the reference is correct and if I've seen the item irl I don't see the problem). But I won't take that risk from a Japanese store (regarding return issues etc.).

Comment

• bukka
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                            Not talking for me but some people just need the reference of the item to buy it online. I can understand it (if the reference is correct and if I've seen the item irl I don't see the problem). But I won't take that risk from a Japanese store (regarding return issues etc.).
                            fair enough.
                            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                              • Sep 2008

WGSN had this update today about Paul Harnden...
                              ...not sure what to think. Will we get a PH ripoff in Zara now?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ can you post the text?

All Saints has already ripped PH off. BTW, one of WSGN gents is totally into the SZ thing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎