• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Alexander Wang Allegedly Uses Sweatshops in NYC

If this is true, what a shame. I hope he gets boycotted into bankruptcy.

From WWD

Alexander Wang denied allegations that its factory in New York’s Chinatown was a “sweatshop,” and the company vowed to defend itself against a $450 million lawsuit brought by an ex-employee. Filed last month in Queens County Supreme Court, the lawsuit claims Wang violated New York State labor laws, including provisions covering overtime compensation and minimum wage.

A spokeswoman for the fashion brand, which has yet to be served with the legal papers, told WWD on Tuesday, “The company takes its obligations to comply with the law very seriously, including the relevant wage and hour regulations, the payment of overtime to eligible employees and having a safe working environment for all of our employees. We will vehemently defend any allegations to the contrary.”

Forcing employees to work 16-hour days without overtime in an unventilated, windowless 200-square-foot room with more than 15 other workers were among the charges hurled at Wang by ex-employee Wenyu Lu. His attorney said roughly 30 of his former co-workers were added to the case.

The plaintiffs are demanding $50 million for each of the suit’s nine charges, including labor law violations, breach of agreement and unjust enrichment.

Lu, who claimed to work 84 hours a week at the designer’s factory at 386 Broadway, said he suffered work-related illnesses, including an eye injury and kidney stones, which resulted in an emergency operation two years ago.

In one instance, the 56-year-old Lu alleged he passed out at his station after working 25 hours without a break. Ultimately, Lu, who started at the factory in 2008, was fired on Feb. 16 after complaining about the poor conditions and applying for worker’s compensation for injuries sustained on the job, his lawyer, Ming Hai, alleged.

“Bad labor conditions are everywhere in the Asian garment community. It’s horrible,” said Hai, noting that there are more than 20 garment factories in Chinatown.

“A lot of the workers are new immigrants and they don’t speak English,” he said. “They work long hours. It’s like a new kind of slavery.”

According to Hai, who regularly tries such employment law cases, most factory owners tend to settle the disputes for fear of bad press.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

If it's true he'll pull a Kathy Lee Gifford.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

I always wondered why his stuff was so cheap....huh. I didn't buy it to begin with, but boycott on!
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• FOREVER
        • Sep 2011

Alexander Wank his stuff isn't that good either way, I've only come across females who are ' into' him. The fact that this was/is happening in New York blows my mind as a European

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

^business regulation in America is poorly enforced in addition to being horribly lax. I worked food service for a few years in my late teens and we'd always pull As from the health inspector in spite of half-broken freezers, improperly stored food, improperly stored bleach and degreasers, etc.

I'd be surprised if any regulatory agent had set foot in Wang's shop.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by rilu
            thanks for sharing the news, crazy stuff. already those working conditions (no windows, small space) sound sufficiently bad that the products should be boycotted.
            If true, yes.

And, damn, my office has no windows...
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
              I always wondered why his stuff was so cheap....huh. I didn't buy it to begin with, but boycott on!
              I don't know much about the wider issue, but I think American Apparel demonstrates that very cheap clothes can be manufactured ethically.
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

These are serious allegations, and it would be really sad and unfortunate if he knowingly participated in doing business with a sweatshop.

However, let me say this, not every factory, that is accused of being a sweatshop is always actually that..........
                Another possibility is that the stuff could be made in a sweatshop without Wang actually knowing, and I will give you all a scenario that I know that happens that may make this possible

Lets say, designer A, goes to a reputable company with air conditioned facilities, first rate machinery, well paid employees an all............everything looks good...........
                the designer then hires the company to produce a set of garments for him. The company agrees to give him the garments back in six weeks. the company then takes the garments a few days after they have recieved all patterns, fabrics and supplies from the design house, subcontracts it to a sweatshop for a cheaper costs and a two week turnaround time and effectively becomes a middle man in the process.........The garments are made in a sweatshop with poor working conditions, without the designer actually knowing that the items were moved to another location, made and brought back to the place he originally contracted to produce his items..........

Now, any average worker who is not a decision maker who works at the sweatshop, because they have produced the garments, with names on the label, could easily assume that the designer/ design house is the one who actually contracted it and approves of such working conditions..........

By no means am I defending Wang, or any other designer, but I can tell you guys that I know that these kind of happenings exist........
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

that's what he gets for being arrogant enough to think he can manufacture in new york city. crucify him, burn his clothes, and let other designers know that they better outsource or else...
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Rosenrot
                    • Aug 2010

Dayymmnn... so much hate for Wang. Is it because his design ethos doesn't match SZ's? His stuff costs less than usual designer wares because he splits part of the production in China, from what is shown on the labels. Anyway I'll reserve my judgment until he's proven guilty.
                    Originally posted by Patroklus
                    Better too adventurous than not enough
                    everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                      that's what he gets for being arrogant enough to think he can manufacture in new york city. crucify him, burn his clothes, and let other designers know that they better outsource or else...
                      Are you saying it's Ok for Wang to use sweatshop conditions if the sweatshop is in New York?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                        Dayymmnn... so much hate for Wang. Is it because his design ethos doesn't match SZ's? His stuff costs less than usual designer wares because he splits part of the production in China, from what is shown on the labels. Anyway I'll reserve my judgment until he's proven guilty.
                        No, it's because he is a talentless hack whose nouveau riche parents allowed him to buy his way into fashion and now he thinks he's the hottest shit around. Design ethos? He doesn't have one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Are you saying it's Ok for Wang to use sweatshop conditions if the sweatshop is in New York?
                          i'm playing devil's advocate and suggesting that the "sweatshop" in new york may be the fabrication of shrewd lawyers and bitter employees.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

I just want more information than the as yet unfiled lawsuit from one fired employee. If it turns out to be accurate, and Wang knew what was happening, that's horrific. If it turns out to be accurate, and Wang was clueless, that's still awful. If it turns out to be inaccurate, well, so it goes.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                              I just want more information than the as yet unfiled lawsuit from one fired employee. If it turns out to be accurate, and Wang knew what was happening, that's horrific. If it turns out to be accurate, and Wang was clueless, that's still awful. If it turns out to be inaccurate, well, so it goes.
                              Six employees. And, yes, hence the word "allegedly."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎