X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
    I think 3/4's of this thread is off-topic. Robin Givhan is a self-important critic who dresses like this (see below) and critiques fashion. Also important to note, having a pulitzer should not make one exempt from being called out on nonsense.
    Agreed
    but you don't win a pulitzer as a critic, (a first for any fashion writer in history) by being some random jackass pontificating just because you have a mouth........

She was the fashion editor/ Correspondent at the washington post for ten years, worked at Vogue and a ton of other magazines, because she has separated herself as one of the primer people in her profession.......that being said, no one is above making mistakes, saying dumb things or misappropriating the intent of the individual(s) they are writing about.

My point is simple, if we disagree with her (or anyone else) lets articulate why we do by giving vital points as to why the person is wrong....

here is my position:
    It is clear an obvious to anyone who knows about the life and work of Rick Owens, that for the most part he has lived an alternative lifestyle and has never been an orthordox individual according to the dictates of mainstream society. Understanding this, anyone viewing and critiquing his work must interpret it through such a lens. If Miss Givhan is going to interpret Rick putting women is masks, playing to a musical soundtrack repeating the words b**ch to mean that he is Misogynistic.....she must also explain, or cry out what is her interpretation of his putting men in heels and skirts. However, Miss Givhan does not do this so she is only telling half of Ricks story, or at least her interpretation of it, thus misrepresenting the facts......
    Viewing the full scope of his work, would show that at best/ worst he is an equal opportunity offender, and not a misogynist as miss Givhans would want you to believe.....

Aside from this, as a critic who attended Rick's show, being a respected journalist, I would assume she had the opportunity of interviewing him or at least make an effort to understand what were his sources of inspiration and such, before writing a blind article. the article she has written says more about how she views the world, rather than the designers intent and perspective towards the client for whom he is creating.......
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• safeword123
      • Jul 2008

^ I don’t think knowing RO’s inspiration (or not) will change her stand tho. (but maybe she could have mentioned it in her article to make it more balanced). It is also not that she doesn’t know RO’s body of work. She did give that context early in her article of RO’s design philosophy and aesthetics.

if I read it correctly, she mostly had problems with the “presentation” (i.e. the music, the cagelike masks and the backdrop fire in a dungeon like setting), the psychological “impact” that this collection left on her, and the “public image” of women that this collection projects. RO (like many other designers) attempts to strike an emotional chord with the audience about brutalism, that savage urge that he thinks everyone has that is constantly waiting to the released. So in that sense, I think it is perfectly valid for her to talk about her feelings and her interpretation in the confinement of emotion/mood of this collection, without examining it through RO’s whole body of work. She finds it disrespectful to women, most don’t and that’s that.

I also don’t think talking about RO putting men in skirts and heels is relevant here. Granted, skirts and heels are predominantly women’s attire, but we are not talking about putting women’s predominately male attire (is there still any? jocks? ). If anything, it has more to do with cross dressing than RO hates men.

I also don’t think knowing what the music is about will lead to anything. I admit i don’t know anything about black gay men culture, but if that is really what the song is about, then I am quite baffled by the choice of the song. We all know it is not black gay men culture that RO is promoting here in the collection. eh, he said "it all came together" when he heard the song. whatever that means.

Yes, calling RO is a misogynist is a stretch, but then she didn’t really say that, she framed her rhetoric at the beginning that “it is dangerous to talk about like or dislike women, but it is fair to talk about respect”. yes, her rhetoric is a bit harsh. yes, she may have read into it too much. but i see her perspective and i think it is valid.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
        UM WOW

the correct phrase is 'homosexual african american man'
        Censored version Music video for the Banned From Youtube single HUNGRY FOR THE POWER by AZARI & III. Directed and edited by ALIXANDER III. Co-directed, photo...
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎