• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • droussin
    • Oct 2011

Raf Simons confirmed as Head of Dior

Dior Selects Raf Simons to Replace John Galliano

The job at Dior has finally been filled. Wednesday, the Paris fashion house will announce that Raf Simons will take over immediately as artistic director, replacing John Galliano, who was fired from Dior last year following anti-Semitic remarks. His first collection is planned for July at the fall haute couture shows.

The choice of Mr. Simons follows more than a year of discussions and apparent soul searching by Dior and its boss, Bernard Arnault, who is chairman of LVMH, about the ideal person to give creative direction to the 66-year-old luxury brand

rest of the article here
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/fa...r-at-dior.html
    what is black?
    an absence, a presence, a mood, a mantle.
    -Martin Margiela
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Oh, boy...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Creep
      • Oct 2011

how is someone like him ever gonna know how to cut a dress, hes an industrial designer by training. i forsee disaster, or a dress with joy division prints.
      hip hop died with biggie and pac.

Comment

• Pumpfish
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Creep View Post
        how is someone like him ever gonna know how to cut a dress, hes an industrial designer by training. i forsee disaster, or a dress with joy division prints.

Might have agreed before the Jil Sander gig, where his womens collections were pretty much regarded as a success.

I don't think Raf has anything to prove.
        spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• kowei
          • Jul 2010

That's very exciting. I think Christian Dior needs to reunite Dior Couture and Dior Homme: this strict partition was only relevant under Galliano ; even without talking about the brilliant Slimane reign, I think as John's womenswear and couture was quite awesome, spectacular and sometimes "costumey", doing the same in menswear wouldn't have been very good.

So, now, considering Raf's skills as a Creative Director, I'd like him to take over menswear... or just overlook it and create a coherent branding at least.

Creep> with your signature I don't think we can take any of your opinion seriously
          Last edited by kowei; 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Neoprene Couture!
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Zenith
              • Jun 2009

Neoprene Couture!
              SNAKES ON A PLAN...I mean, DRESS!
              I feel like we can do this for a while

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

I am the designer JOHN Galiano!

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

this is so weird. i would have went with tisci myself.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
                    Might have agreed before the Jil Sander gig, where his womens collections were pretty much regarded as a success.

I don't think Raf has anything to prove.
                    Oh, yes, he does.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Oh, yes, he does.
                      Really? While all the menswear shows were...off, I never saw the same issues with womenswear. Could you elaborate a bit?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Urthwhyte View Post
                        Really? While all the menswear shows were...off, I never saw the same issues with womenswear. Could you elaborate a bit?
                        Jil Sander was a relatively easy transition for Simons because it's a minimalist label, not far from what he was doing with the men's. Joy Division patches aside, Simons excelled at perfectly elegant, fresh and young tailoring. Dior is a full-blown luxury house that is centered on bags, shoes, and dresses. Stereotypically speaking, it's a girly girl, luxury housewife label as opposed to Jil Sander, a label for gallery owners and women who want to look smart and in-the-know. It's a world of difference in terms of both vision and skill. And I don't buy the idea that Dior wants Raf to bring pantsuits and camel coats - somehow everyone's idea of modern dress - to Dior. Granted, Simons will have a lot of help from the Dior team, so it might be good. Also, I want to note that Simons, despite all the editor fawning, does not have the brand-name awarness of the luxury purchasing masses, the way Galliano did. Go stand on the corner of 5th and 57th and ask a hundred people who Simons is. I imagine your rate of success will hover around 5-10%.

Anyway, only time will show. He seems to have been doing a lot of soul searching. I would too, if I went from designing punk gear to cocktail dresses. Good luck, Raf, sincerely.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

it could be one of the most brilliant move in a long while, as well as t could be an epic disaster.......personally I dont believe his skill sets are suited for this type of brand, but ultimately he is an "intelligent designer" so I wouldn't pt it beyond his abilities to do something special. with the resources now at his disposal the possibilities may be endless it would be interesting to see how he transitions from his arch minimalist perspective into dealing with a leagacy of frou frou.........
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droussin View Post
                            Dior Selects Raf Simons to Replace John Galliano

"I got the job?... oh fuckity fuck, just chucked in the application for a laugh...needed cheering up a bit."

Comment

• pennickNY
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              it could be one of the most brilliant move in a long while, as well as t could be an epic disaster

I would err on the side of brilliant , although Jil Sander may have been an easy transition, that doesn't mean he wasn't limited by the very sophisticated minimalism of Jil.

You can see him, wanting to break the mold at Jil in his latter collections, BUT because he was aware of the brands identity he wasn't able to venture into new territories.

At Dior, with endless amounts of resources, I see him using the same brand awareness and exploring it to the fullest extent.

He's also to me very similar to Marc Bohan aesthetically, could definitely see him referencing that period in Dior a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎