X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hommedeguerre
    • Jun 2009

Clothing and Self-Perception

Not sure if this has been posted. I found this to be interesting. Not "fashion" focused, but clothing none-the-less.

Le 21ème
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Very interesting and not surprising.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

Nice read, thanks HDG.

Originally posted by Dr. Galinsky
      Clothes invade the body and brain, putting the wearer into a different psychological state
      Note that it is the reverse of clothing romanticism, as it is often preached on SZ by the usual suspects : according to this article, the clothes are not a description of the wearer's inner soul, whose 'authenticity' could be evaluated, but on the contrary, they work as commands to a non-permanent 'self', telling her who she is at the moment.
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• trentk
        • Oct 2010

BSR - well said. Thats exactly what I've been trying to get at in posts on "CCP, designer for ghosts" and "possession by clothes". Is "possession" not a dramatization of "clothes invad[ing] the body and brain, putting the wearer into a different psychological state"?

ccp jeans standing freely, as if they're inhabited by a ghost (left) who will possess the human wearer (right)
        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎