• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: A Magazine #6 - curated by Veronique Branqhuinho

Yes, her boutique is really beautiful, although I still think Dries's and Ann's shops are better. I'm glad you liked it. Did you get to go to stock sales?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

Oh yes, I went to the Ann sale. There was a huge amount of FW06/07 stock and the prices were good, but I'm not really in an Ann mood at the moment. I got a matching cap and arm warmers in mud colour, which I think will be useful. Interesting to see the Le Corbusier building anyway.

Obviously I would have LOVED to be in Antwerp for the Stephan Schneider sale. Maybe another year.

By the way, thinking about Branquinho inspired me to post a little compendium of Roxy covers that have been so inspiring to her I think (although she puts clothes on the women, of course)

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Good spotting, dbc, thanks for posting those! [51]

I am really enjoying the issue. It's moody, sure, but not brooding...more like a walk through her personal history, as evoked by music, images, the words of friends and family, etc. And I actually found the dirth of text quite appealing--at the very least, it dispels the media notion that VB is some sort of mysteriously "intellectual" designer. On the whole, it's all just very warm and inviting. Good to read by the fire, as the intro says.

The men's collection photos were especially good, I thought...I can see why you were inspired, dbc. I would love to see some pictures of your purchases, if possible. [75]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• nycd
          • Oct 2006

as an aside, Nicholas DeVille designed the early Roxy album covers - and Peter Saville designed Flesh+Blood and Avalon.

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

Oh yes, I went to the Ann sale. There was a huge amount of FW06/07 stock and the prices were good, but I'm not really in an Ann mood at the moment. I got a matching cap and arm warmers in mud colour, which I think will be useful. Interesting to see the Le Corbusier building anyway.

Obviously I would have LOVED to be in Antwerp for the Stephan Schneider sale. Maybe another year.

By the way, thinking about Branquinho inspired me to post a little compendium of Roxy covers that have been so inspiring to her I think (although she puts clothes on the women, of course)

[/quote]

Comment

• dontbecruel
            • Sep 2006

I'd forgotten that Saville did those last two. But Nick DeVille is indelibly associated with Ferry isn't he!

Talking of the Peter Saville link... It's funny to think how much Raf and Veronique must have influenced each other's tastes back in the day and how far they've diverged from what I think was probably quite a similar starting point. They are an archetypal male/female ego/id hard/soft utility/fantasy pair. Both elaborating on a dream world borne out of their adolescent musical crushes, but heading along forked paths.

[Not sure if I'll have time to do the pics Laika. Will try!]

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Flipped through it briefly yesterday. It was Ok. $35 fucking dollars, insane.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
                • Nov 2006

this was buried downright subterranean. ...is there no vb-dedicated thread? i thought there was.

i don't allocate much money to fashion books, but this edition of A is one of my favourites. for anyone looking for a great way to waste time many of A's past editions are viewable online, including this one. if you go to page 75 you can see ms. branquinho's favourite music, which for an anglophone born post-70's was rather revelatory for me. the whole issue is fantastic, in my book, er, magazine.

edit: thought this was in the designers forum. sorry!
                ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• droogist
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Flipped through it briefly yesterday. It was Ok. $35 fucking dollars, insane.
                  Heh heh.
                  Last edited by droogist; 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM. Reason: illustration

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droogist View Post

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• coup de grace
                      x
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droogist View Post
                      but, inflation!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰