• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

SOULD i-D

i-D came out with a new book, a collection of political protest as expressed on its pages for over the past ten years. There is also a traveling exhibition - coming to New York from July 16 to 29, at Rockefeller center.

SOUL i-D

On Amazon $23.27

Soul i-D is a selection of work collected over the past ten years. Separate projects originally published independently by i-D with the approval and ok of its founding creative director and editor in chief Terry Jones. Undoubtedly, without Terry’s inspiration and guidance I would never have had such a wide, varied and extraordinary selection of contributors and collaborators to call upon. This exhibition is divided into “chapters”. We have also included two sections which appeared in the magazine itself when we felt particularly moved to enter a more political debate. Tricia Jones February 2008
    I first came across this project, now compiled as Soul i-D, in February 2002. February 1st actually. I remember the specific date because I have a copy of a card, written fervently that evening to Tricia, thanking her for a gift rich in hope, broad in original expression and unified in the similarities that make up that greatness which is the human spirit.
    We are living in confusing times. We have no definitive enemy, no clear nemesis to focus our energies. It is no longer 1939. We are surrounded by uncertainty, whether it be economic implosion, corporate dictation on how we live, lack of trust in our governing leaders or sheer apathy in the face of ever escalating global issues. It's difficult to keep track, to find home or to begin again from an explicit starting point – we're constantly in a state of catch-up. It's not too hard to feel overwhelmed.
    Where I find hope, juice if you like, is that even during these times, there are those who are willing and committed, compelled perhaps, despite situation or social background, to drop the mask and share candidly what they think, feel and have had to overcome – dedicated to honoring their truth, sharing their wisdom and in doing so, creating a bond that is
    beyond the frenetic minefield that is modern life. In revealing themselves, they collectively invite us all to do likewise. To pause, to centre ourselves and to ask ourselves those questions that define our very essence, our individual souls. John Pearson 22nd February 2008.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

NEW YORK, NY.- In collaboration with i-D Magazine, Christie’s is announced that it will host a pioneering exhibition in New York, supported by Gucci, celebrating the recent publication of a 600-page book entitled SOUL i-D. From July 16 to July 30 2009, Christie’s New York will showcase the final leg of a three year international exhibition tour, unveiling the highlights of this highly laudable visual anthology in the United States.

Displayed in the Christie’s galleries in Rockefeller Center, this thought-provoking exhibition will encompass a vivid display of photography, anecdotes, personal experiences, advice and wisdom as featured in SOUL i-D. This best-selling book presents insights and contributions from some of the most creative names in contemporary fashion, music, art and design including Ron Arad, Giorgio Armani, Bono, Neville Brody, Olafur Eliasson, Tracey Emin, David LaChapelle, Chris Martin, Alexander McQueen and Yoko Ono. The brainchild of Terry and Tricia Jones, founders of i-D magazine, this innovative exhibition will be assembled in the form of a suspended eye at the centre of the gallery, proffering a window into the heart and soul of modern society.

This ground-breaking exhibition is traveling internationally over the course of three years. Its worldwide tour began in Europe at the Galerie Azzedine Alaia in Paris in November 2008 following its return to native British soil at Christie’s South Kensington in March, it then traveled to Milan during Salone Internazionale del Mobile, and it will now cross the Atlantic to New York where it will be displayed for two weeks at Christie’s galleries in the Rockefeller Center.

Amy Cappellazzo, International Co-Head for Post-War and Contemporary Art, Christie's, commented, “Christie’s New York is thrilled to be working with i-D Magazine and Gucci on this innovative and thought-provoking exhibition, presenting photographs, personal insights and wisdom from contemporary artists and designers. We are proud to support such a unique project as a complement to our longstanding belief in the accessibility and approachability of all art that passes through the doors of Christie’s.”
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎