X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chilton0326
    • Feb 2011

Miguel Adrover -- Industrie Interview

Miguel Adrover was interviewed in the 2nd issue of Industrie Magazine: http://industriemagazine.com/issues/issue-2/

The whole interview is not online apparently, but here are some snippets (courtesy of the Fashion Copious blog):

'Yes, lots of the people had approached me, from Lanvin, Donna Karan and Moschino, to work on their brands. I always said, "My house is so dirty that I don't want to clean up other people's houses." I don't believe in these old labels like Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel and Dior. They are old philosophies. In their time they were super helpful --for example, Yves Saint Laurent and Chanel helped liberate. But i think today they have nothing to say. I think it's all superficial, all marketing, all focused on sales. And the crazy thing is everybody in the fucking world is getting in the picture with them and doing the campaigns. I think people lost their pride. They sold their soul to do the advertising for Louis Vuitton. And I think that's so sick. What about the young generation? What about what we've got to say about today? There's a lot of things going on today that nobody gives a shit about'.

And for the many young designers coming up today, their ambition is to work for those brands.
    'But you gotta understand, most of these companies send someone to the school for the final presentations, and the one who's good, they take him to work for them. They will never support him to go on his own. Never. Why is the guy who's doing Balenciaga, what's his name?

Nicholas Ghesquiere.

'Why isn't he doing his own label? Because that don't look like Balenciaga fucking at all! It's ridiculous that he can't make his own label. That shows you the manipulation by multicorporates of young, talented people. It's so sad. That's why I respected McQueen so much -- not just because were friends but because he got the balls to do it till the end and it was his label, not other people's label. If chanel was still alive, I think she'd be upset to see that person taking her place. I don't think it's representative of what Chanel had on her mind. And I think Dior with John Galliano is the same. All of them are just puppets. We don't need another Dior, another Chanel, with the same philosophy as before. Today there's a lot of things going on we need to fix. And clothing should be a medium of communication, a medium that pulls people together instead of pulling them apart and creating social classes.
  • syed
    • Sep 2010

I have never used this phrase before, but it feels the most pertinent - CHURCH.
    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• surver
      • Oct 2007

puts alot of things in perspective...

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

what is his motivation for saying these things?
        didnt he sell his company to a start up conglomerate after two seasons and because they didn't have the financial means or the expertise why he went bust?

I liked some of his early work, but he is really in no position to make these kind of comments because they are really without merit.
        Why should a company cease to exist because its founder died ?............what about the value of the company and the hundreds of people working in these companies and thier families if the company should suddenly close?

Ghesquire was an employee at Balanciaga before they made him the head designer, and when they did he was given 10% of the company............

anyways, I better stop here because as much as I like Adrover, he is sounding here like a bitter man and he really shouldn't. its the same system that he is railing against that made him relevant.
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Patchwork
          • Jan 2011

^ I agree with this.

also, I really want to know who runs this magazine... they are sooo bitter and delusional. After reading this I'm now convinced that this issue is crap.

Comment

• droogist
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Patchwork View Post
            ^ I agree with this.

also, I really want to know who runs this magazine... they are sooo bitter and delusional. After reading this I'm now convinced that this issue is crap.
            After reading 3 paragraphs from an interview with someone expressing an opinion you disagree with, you've decided that the entire issue is crap?

I think Adrover makes some good points, and zamb makes some others, but I'll reserve judgement on both the interview and the magazine until I've read the entire thing.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by syed View Post
              I have never used this phrase before, but it feels the most pertinent - CHURCH.
              MOTHERFUCKING CHURCH
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎