X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Fashionable men as geeks

Interesting-ish article in the Telegraph about fashion/clothes-obsessed men. Different (from SZ) aesthetics being talked about, but some behaviours that I think are quite recognisable....

• lost53
    • Dec 2010

Written by a women... for women!!
    And a nice advert for Alban...!!

Comment

• seenmy
      • May 2009

it is hardly a new understanding of how men buy clothes,correct but hardly new.

Comment

• 123abc123
        • Aug 2010

I like the way the telegraph article is written much more, especially due to the fact that the way the details mgz article is written it produces an emasculating and almost degrading mood, but it seems as though now more than ever people are actually noticing men and their passion for clothing (even if they are still poking fun at stereotypes in both articles) making it much more acceptable in our society today for a straight guy to like fashion. Something that I have to say truly makes me happy.

Edit:
        Ehhh... yeah i guess comparing both of them is not really fair. I guess I was more exited on the fact that both articles focus on the "common" men and his acceptance and even more so passion for fashion.
        Last edited by 123abc123; 03-28-2011, 07:56 PM.
        BLOG

"I know that I know nothing"

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

/\ I really don't like that one. It says that men can be fashion addicts too - we knew that already though and I don't think that's what's interesting about men and fashion. It's the sophisticated approach that reacts to this.

When I decided to justify my fashion interest to my close friends and parents, the way I did it was by explaining it deeply enough to prove that it was something serious, so I made it clear that I was not a wannabe shopaholic wanker. If the people close to me treated me like a "fashionista", I think I would hate myself.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

i would say that this applies to any enthusiast regardless of wether they're a man or woman. I feel this is just a poor excuse to find a way to define a man within the conventional frames of a mans behaviour. OMG, he's into fashion. He can't be creative or vain, can he? No, he must be a nerd about it.

FYI, Being nerdy about something doesn't mean you forget the whole context or that you can't be creative or emotional about something.

The fact is, there is so much that hasn't been made for men in fashion, and the boom over the last decade can't result in anything but men becoming interested. but it's the saaaame thing as a woman being interested. in the end it's just about priorities and interests, why label it?

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

It's not the saaaaame thing, there are differences - what's the problem with that? Why is there a need to equalise the approaches between the sexes? Never really understood that impulse. There will always be exceptions etc., but we're talking about tendancies or general patterns of behaviour. There are still "issues" around men accepting that they like clothes because they just like clothes; there often has to be either a context, a "story", or the items have to be obviously manly (leather jackets, big boots etc.). I don't think there's anything wroooong with that, just find it a little interesting, in a light hearted way.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎