• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Puig takes over Gaultier

Hermes dumps their Gaultier stake and JP adds more. All the lip service about high fashion continuing - who are they kidding? It's all about perfume...
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Hermes dumps their Gaultier stake and JP adds more. All the lip service about high fashion continuing - who are they kidding? It's all about perfume...
    err, all important brands make their money with perfume and accessories (aside from Armani who is like 51% profit from clothes-well stats I have are like 2002, haven't checked more recent ones). This does not mean that you do not need fashion to make the other products attractive. I'll easily grant you that this strategy is pretty hit and miss for perfumes where brands that are "out" can still have a hit and brands that are hyped fail miserably. Still accessories, tees, whatever certainly benefit from the aura of collections, just like some of the more established brands have their fashion collections benefit from HC.

I guess you should show more love for Armani (mainly a clothing business) and Prada (waited until what, mid 2000s, to have a perfume, unlike other major brands).
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I know all big brands (and some small brands) make their dough from perfume and such. But I also would like see the fashion world where perfume supports the business and not the other way around.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ES3K
        • Oct 2008

Maybe I don't get it right, but if the brands make their money with perfumes (and other licensing), it does support the clothing/fashion segment. I think it's a give-and-take. If I look at some flagship stores in my town, I highly doubt that they are profitable -- but it's good for their brand image to have an imposing appearance and EUR 2000+ jackets in the window, which the average consumer notices and then buys himself Jil Sander perfume and Armani sunglasses and by this feels part of the brand's luxury world. Isn't it win-win? We get clothes which are there because the brand does need expensive clothes so people buy perfume :)

Regarding JPG, IIRC he was also dismissed as creative director last year, seems that Hermès doesn't like him any more.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎