• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Hussein Chalayan Changes

LONDON — Hussein Chalayan is fine-tuning his brand, downsizing the name and adding a collection that will launch in September.

Starting with the spring collections, the brand will be known as Chalayan instead of Hussein Chalayan.

“I had been thinking about it for a while, and I’m doing it mostly because I have a long name,” the designer told WWD. “Now people can focus on one word. On a graphic level, it’s much clearer and easier to remember.”

For spring, Chalayan is also launching a collection called Grey Label that will be priced below the runway line. It will be a collection of house signature pieces, including soft, tailored jackets, trousers and skirts, knitwear and dresses as well as outerwear. There will also be a small selection of handbags and sunglasses.

“It has echoes of the main line, but it’s a bit more accessible. Maybe you’ll see a sweatshirt interpretation of something that appeared on the runway,” he said.

Price points for the collection will range from 100 euros, or $146, for a top to 450 euros, or $658, for outerwear. All figures have been calculated at current exchange. The line will be sold and distributed in the U.S. by The News Inc. as of September.

The designer is also reintroducing his pre-collection for the runway line. It will be sold in Europe, the U.S. and the Middle East by L.A. Distribuzione.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • LupinTheFourth
    • Aug 2009

Might be good.

Putting that Puma-Money in to work..

I find this very interesting; Obviously he/his partners had a need to re-structure his house/vision into something more functional, in a commercial sense.
    The time's they are a changing, more serious business model is probably a good idea for a designer like C(HC). Still able to present his genius through the mainline, assuming the second line will keep the cash-flow going.
    Some cases this could be considered 'selling out' but I honestly think that in C's case there's a lot more in the mix than rather just doing a runway show with only 'wearable looks' -> the whole thing is too conceptual, just too much of a big art installation and so friggin complex.
    If a designer with such ideas and abilities wants to be able to grow, have a little more $ and to turn his business into something more than just a output of his experiments/thoughts;

I say go.
    modern man

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎