• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Bernard Arnault announces the end of the star designer

Newsweek

What I really would like to see is the end of the star fashion business executive.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • ES3K
    • Oct 2008

Maybe I get the article wrong, but the Céline part is confusing me.

If any brand hints at how Arnault might solve his Dior problem, it’s Céline. For years, the company was a bland purveyor of bourgeois sportswear before Philo was given free rein. If Dior was defined by bold, swashbuckling strokes, Céline is design innovation measured in millimeters. What Philo created is understatedly, exquisitely chic—without a cult of personality.
    Really? I think it's all about Philo. Would the media be interest in Céline without Phoebe Philo being aboard? Would Kayne West wear Céline shirts?

And:

Arnault has been dazzled by Céline. It has seen triple-digit growth, according to Arnault, who believes it has the potential to be the next major brand, (...)
    ...ok, Céline is doing great... but then:

It will take time, but [Céline] is on the way,” Arnault says. “Phoebe has the potential. She is doing a style which is completely in line with our time.”
    ...this sounds to me if he is impatient and the clock is ticking for Philo...

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Fuuma wishes he could announce the end of the badly thought out fashion article written by someone who doesn't know what minimalism means.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

What a SHIT article. Galliano was so much more than "flamboyant stars, glittering brand names, and hype."
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• BSR
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          badly thought out fashion article

pleonastic
          pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
          Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
            Fuuma wishes he could announce the end of the badly thought out fashion article written by someone who doesn't know what minimalism means.
            No one ever accused Newsweek of quality journalism!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

And from what I heard Celine is not doing well at all.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kowei
                • Jul 2010

I've read yesterday this quite old article which I think is related to the thread's title.
                "Who needs star designers when you’ve got famous brands?"
                Last edited by kowei; 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• chomeo
                  • Mar 2010

i've never seen Celine sold anywhere else except in duties free shop in Asia. And really, they don't appeal to me at the least!

Comment

• Rosenrot
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by chomeo View Post
                    i've never seen Celine sold anywhere else except in duties free shop in Asia. And really, they don't appeal to me at the least!
                    I beg to differ. Ever since Phoebe Philo took the reins, Celine's 'Luggage' tote is the hottest bag around and anyone who wants one have to be on the waiting list. Many women (and men) are willing to call up stores outside their own country of residence just to track down the colours they want. I'm not sure how popular its RTW is but if I'm an uber rich socialite I'd actually hoard every single piece in the collection.
                    Originally posted by Patroklus
                    Better too adventurous than not enough
                    everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• kowei
                      • Jul 2010

Same here too, there's an official shop and it's always crowded. I'm pretty sure 95% of the sales goes in the maroquinerie though. Even the rich-but-cheap-looking girl in my class got one.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎