X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roupas
    • Jan 2009

Walter Van Beirendonck - de Standaard

Mostly for the Belgians and Dutch I guess. There will be a special 80 page newspaper tomorrow of which Walter will be the editor.
  • Fibers
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by roupas View Post
    Mostly for the Belgians and Dutch I guess. There will be a special 80 page newspaper tomorrow of which Walter will be the editor.
    This let me think about the magazine that will published saturday along with NRC Handelsblad (Dutch Paper). The guest editor of this magazine will be Dries van Noten.

By The way: The editor in chief of NRC (Peter Vandermeersch) was editor in chief of De Standaard. Coincidence?

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by roupas View Post
      If you are starting a new thread, please have respect for this forum and post something substantial. Links, dates. What use is this?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• droogist
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the head's up - I picked up a copy at the newsstand this morning. (See Faust, it wasn't totally useless after all.)

De Standaard is a Belgian Flemish-language tabloid. They've invited other promiment Belgians in the arts to guest-edit the paper in the past. This year they chose Van Beirendonck, probably with his current exhibition at the Antwerp Mode Museum in mind.

It looks like the same news coverage they would have had otherwise, but Walter decided what went in the arts & culture section and messed with the layout in a big way (e.g. the culture section is the "main" section and the news section is the insert, all the mulitpage articles are printed on non-facing pages, and Walter's icons and slogans appear liberally throughout).

A link: http://www.standaard.be/artikel/deta...MF20110915_029
        Last edited by droogist; 09-16-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

He frightens me. If I saw him in a dark alley I would walk away briskly.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Prezens
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            from the sounds of it, the only reason you'd "walk away briskly" as opposed to run is so he doesn't chase you and beat you to a pulp right there and then LoL,
            hmm I shall look him up immediately, although his role as editor is now only secondary interest, ha
            One man's style must not be the rule of another's.

Comment

• Prezens
              • Aug 2011

haha good lord, after taking 1 glance at him, I think i'd run at the risk of gettin caught
              One man's style must not be the rule of another's.

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

I guess if you want to be tired and violated.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                  Actually he's one of the sweetest and most intelligent designers I've had a pleasure of interviewing.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tweeds
                    • Sep 2006

To make this thread a little more worthwhile:

Originally posted by MoMu blog
                    Tying in with the exhibition, Walter Van Beirendonck is editor-in-chief of the Belgian newspaper De Standaard for their edition of September 16th.

Over the past few years, De Standaard has built a real tradition by inviting prominent Belgian in the arts to guest-edit the newspaper: artist Luc Tuymans in 2007, Jan Fabre in 2008 and photographer Carl De Keyzer in 2009.

It was an exiting project and De Standaard took the challenge to let someone who is primarily concerned with the visual aspects of a product take charge of the news. The culture section became the “main” section, and the news section is the insert, all the multipage articles are printed on non-facing pages, and Walter’s icons and slogans appear liberally throughout the pages!

Also check-out De Standaard of 17/09 with a free ticket for the Walter Van Beirendonck – Dream The World Awake exhibition!
                    SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• tweeds
                      • Sep 2006

Kiss the Future !

WOOF

Source: blog.momu.be
                      Last edited by tweeds; 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM.
                      SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• tweeds
                        • Sep 2006

Something BYYG is Coming

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• tweeds
                          • Sep 2006

No, you're right, it's not the most outstanding thing he's done - although maybe if we read the articles we might find a different coverage/tone to that of the paper's? Something else.

My favourite publication 'appropriation' projects have still got to be those by Bless, who embed their lookbooks - always something odd in them - into the publication they infiltrate. Something of themselves more clearly sited in the magazine, and in some sort of way something of the magazine in their edition. Their most recent collaboration for Nr. 43 was with mono.kultur - a small, beautifully executed little piece.
                          SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Went to see the exhibit at MoMu yesterday. It's actually a lot of fun.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎