X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Kanya Miki - Kosmetique Label

The guy releases all these intriguing designs and this is what they pick up? I mean with new/unknown high priced designers I'm not sure going safe is a good strategy; if someone wants a pair of black pants and is shopping online, where they can't examine the garments thoroughly, they'll go for Ann D, Rafor something else that is relativelymore popular before splurging on an unknown label at the same price point. Now ifthe unknown designer has a few unique pieces that catches the eye of more fashion forward people, things could turn out quite differently.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

The guy releases all these intriguing designs and this is what they pick up? I mean with new/unknown high priced designers I'm not sure going safe is a good strategy; if someone wants a pair of black pants and is shopping online, where they can't examine the garments thoroughly, they'll go for Ann D, Rafor something else that is relativelymore popular before splurging on an unknown label at the same price point. Now ifthe unknown designer has a few unique pieces that catches the eye of more fashion forward people, things could turn out quite differently.

[/quote]

That's a good point. If I were a retailer, I'd try to figure out what the "signature" of the new designer is, and go for those pieces.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"]

[/quote]

That's a good point. If I were a retailer, I'd try to figure out what the "signature" of the new designer is, and go for those pieces.

[/quote]

That's a good summation of what I was trying to get across. Maybe we?re seeing this through the rose-tinted glasses of individuals who are interested in promoting forward design instead of going for the simple ?let?s go make a buck? pervading mentality though. Not that you can?t do both but I just know where my priorities lie.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• casem
          • Sep 2006

That's exactly what I was thinking ^^. For those of us with little access to these designers outside of the internet, it's very disapointing that sites like aloharag and luisaviaroma seem to stock the most boring pieces of each collection. I don't understand why they play is so safe with lesser known designers but then buy crazy stuff from more established designers (dior homme on LVR for example). As fuuma and faust said, I think people would be less likely to buy basics from an obscure designer when they could buy them from someone more established. To build a name for the lesser knowns they really should stock outstanding pieces that you couldn't get from other designers. These stores should read our "designer signature pieces" thread before buying again.

As far as Kosmetique, I like the general aesthetic. The draping does look very nice and natural, it doesn't come off as forced or overwhelming. Some of the jackets are really beautiful. But I can't get into the high waisted drop crotched pants, they just make such an unflattering shape, the pants look even worse on aloharag. And is it just me, or does the name Kosmetique bother anyone else? I thought this thread was about a new face product line until I finally looked at it today.
          music

Comment

• Avantster
            ¤¤¤
            • Sep 2006

To me the pieces that stand out most to me are the pleated/draped 'sportswear inspired' zip up jackets with long fronts. (don't know if I could use the word 'signature' as he hasn't made too many collections yet!) I would pay well for one of these!

I can certainly see what you guys are saying and I agree - but at Miki's prices I think his jackets/blazers/coats may be simply too much of a risk for aloharag to take. Nevertheless I cannot see the appeal in the velvet pants they've picked up, and the double breasted coat is disappointing too.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

At the very least, this buy is dissapointing and boring, which is really too bad, because I really enjoyed a couple of his pieces. It would be interesting to hear the stores logic begind such a basic buy for someone who has some pretty, as someone else put it, "fashion forward" designs. These types of items seem to sell pretty well, but perhaps people are still more concerned with the name than anything else. That is, they'd still rather buy a Demuelemeester standout piece than a Miki, leaving them with the most expensive parts of Miki's line on their hands.
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

So aloharag have finally uploaded some decent pieces!

Silk/wool blazer.

I love the texture of this grey one.

I quite like this shirt.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Loving that asymmetric shirt!

The rest isn't incredibly spectacular really (a far cry from those photos of his final presentation from school). Pricewise, people are right about how they're a bit on the high side for what you get. I'm wondering if semi-blooming designers (that is, those that have a strong background and good experience that are just now striking out on their own) are forced to charge higher prices for their items due to the production cost vs. number of items sold. One has to make money to live!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• kompressorkev
                    • Dec 2006

not sure if this belongs in goodfinds, but found some nice Kosmetique pieces on sale, great discounts at 60% off:

blazers, jacket, and pants! i believe one of the blazers is the same one on aloharag, but in black. too bad the pics are too small, but they seem to have the long-collared blazer that looks like the one on AR.

http://www.hokuro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=156373&csid=0

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

Bumping this up.

Pictures of the new collection at kosmetiquelabel.com

Aloharag has dropped it, seems it didn't sell to well. Not surprising considering the ordinary buy they did.

Mindtrive has a few pieces, and here is the name in Japanese for those who are interested: ???????·????.

Interview with Diane Pernet [http://dianepernet.typepad.com/diane...que-labe.html]

Kosmetique Label by Kanya Miki

Dear Shaded Viewers,

I first became aware of Kanya Miki, the designer behind the
                      Kosmetique Label when I was on his jury when he was in his next to last
                      year at the Royal Academy of Antwerp in 2001. Kanya graduated in 2002.
                      After school Kanya worked for Walter van Beirendonck and later for John
                      Galliano. In 2005, Kanya launched his own collection. Kanya has come a
                      long way from the highly charged conceptual collections of his school
                      days to his ultimately wearable and effortlessly elegant collections of
                      today.

DP: Is there anything that you particularly miss about Tokyo?

KM: New ideas are accepted much more readily in Tokyo.

DP: What do you think the biggest cultural difference between the French and the Japanese?

KM: The Japanese culture is more likely to accept change and to
                      adapt to new things at a very high speed. Trends move rapidly. In
                      Paris, it is more important to keep older things and adapt and refine
                      them for the future.

DP: You started your business right after school, what was your biggest challenge?

KM: Starting was not the difficult part because I did not really know
                      what I was getting into and my innocence made me more fearless.

DP: Why did you choose fashion rather than another field and why Paris?

KM: Living in a foreign country I wanted to find a way to communicate
                      with the people. I wanted to do something artistic and visual. I?ve
                      liked fashion since I was in junior high school, and so I decided to
                      study fashion. When you live in a foreign country it is a good place to
                      start something new because you are more free from other people?s
                      reactions.

DP: What was the best advice that you ever received?

KM: Difficulty gives you the chance to grow.

DP: How would you define your universe?

KM: Everything in my world is moving freely and faster than before. It
                      will continue in that direction. Cultures unite and that can be both
                      good and bad as individuality can be lost.

DP: What do you think makes a brand successful?

KM: To be original while listening to and satisfying your clients. It?s
                      not only the clothing that is important but it is also essential to
                      build an image. It is not difficult for a big brand to assume the costs
                      of building an image but it is for a small label.

DP: What is it about your clothes that make them so seductive?

KM: The cut and the choice of fabric, I think. Mostly, it is my style
                      and the attitude when wearing clothes. But my style is for daily use;
                      if I were making show pieces it would be quite different. I would
                      concentrate more on the atmosphere that is my strongest point.

DP: What is the most disturbing thing that you?ve ever seen?

KM: I always try to forget those things, as time passes sometimes you can forget. But it is not always that easy.

DP: Describe your happiest moment to date?

KM: To share the feeling of achievement with companies.

DP: What do you consider to be the turning point in your life?

KM: To stay in the US to study language and going to the Antwerp Academy.

DP: If suddenly you inherited the lottery, how would you spend it?

KM: I would make a fashion show, I believe that is the best way to show my universe.

DP: You design men?s wear, are you your own muse?

KM: Not really, I like to wear them and fit them on myself so I see how it feels.

DP: What is your relationship with fabric?

KM: Fabric is always very important. Even if the design is good, it will not work unless you put it in the right fabric.

DP: Do you have any particular philosophy about your cut?

KM: I always imagine how the fabric drapes around the body. Is it
                      comfortable or uncomfortable? Keeping that in mind, I design the mood.
                      Sometimes, depending on the fabric you can have an uncomfortable cut
                      that makes for a comfortable feeling. That is quite interesting.

DP: Do women also wear your clothes?

KM: Yes, some shops buy them as women's wear.

DP: What was the theme for this collection and how did it differ from last year?s theme?

KM: The theme was ?deeper.? The idea being that the deeper you go the
                      more new things you discover. The biggest difference was that all of
                      the tailored pieces involved a mix with leather.

DP: What kind of books do you like to read?

KM: I like to read all kinds of books, novels, essays, and guidebooks? Lately I am reading books on business administration.

DP: What kind of artists do you feel close to?

KM: I like minimalist art with a simple but strong feeling. My artistic
                      approach to style is the total opposite of minimal. Maybe that is why I
                      like minimalist art because I am not a minimalist.

DP: What kind of music do you like to listen to?

KM: I like all kinds of music. I?m even able to enjoy music that I
                      don?t like after listening to it many times. I always listen to music
                      while I work.

DP: How many people are in your company?

KM: One and a part time intern.

DP: Was anyone in your family in the fashion business?

KM: Not fashion, but clothing, a retail shop with inexpensive clothes.

DP: What do you like to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

KM: I like fruit for breakfast and anything can be good for lunch and dinner.

DP: Do you travel much? Which are your favorite locations?

KM: I go to Japan twice a year. Sometimes I travel when I am in Japan. My favorite place is Kyoto.

KM: Not really...

DP: What are your dreams?

KM: To be an artistic fashion designer. I would like to contribute both to the artistic and fashion fields.

DP: Short and long term projects?

KM: To do runway show, and to start a women's wear collection.

DP: If you were not doing what you are doing now, what would you dream to do?

KM: I always want to do something creative because to create and
                      generate is to be curious and to discover and that is what I find
                      exciting.

www.kosmetiquelabel.com

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

this white button-up has some great texture to it, but the pic was way too huge to post

i don't think these pics communicate the entire collection very well. there's also some other really nice blazers, a leather-piped one, an asymmetrical peak lapel one, a beautiful slim rectangular shawl lapel one, and a dramatic sharp rectangular lapel, all low one-button. gorgeous blazers. the double-layer shirt in the 2nd to last pic looks great, imo. styled well, this collection would be very, very nice. i think it'd work well with some todd lynn, ansnam, viridi-anne, or kazuyuki kumagai.

word on pricing: button-ups $700ish, blazers $1600-1900ish, trousers in high 600's, leather jacket in $3k range. found all these through japanese sites.

i'm waiting for Darkland's buy! hoping their pricing is a little nicer, and i can't wait to see their pieces.

Comment

• Jon
                          • Apr 2008

no kosmetique @ darklands for S/S 09... also I caught word that they won't be showing for F/W 09...
                          Originally posted by merz
                          perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

Kosmetique Label A/W 08/09 to be displayed at DAAD Dantone. Maybe the installation will be reminiscent of Kanya Micki's graduation showing?

I've heard s/s09 will be displayed within the next two weeks in another installation elsewhere in Italy. It has quite limited distribution outside Japan now, and prices are quite high. I'm excited to receive my first Kosmetique Label piece in a few days (from past season) - one of his herringbone wool peak lapel blazers, really low one button but the jacket's cutaway design shows it's meant to be worn open. It's a little dramatic but hopefully not too much. I think Kosmetique Label would be paired perfectly with Ansnam, another Japanese label.
                            Last edited by kompressorkev; 01-13-2009, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• surver
                              • Oct 2007

inconsistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡