• Rosenrot
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus
      Better too adventurous than not enough
      everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Rosenrot
        • Aug 2010

His show is by far the most interesting one on NYFW. I love this collection so much I had to post the images as soon as I saw them. Are his runway clothes available off-the-rack?
        Originally posted by Patroklus
        Better too adventurous than not enough
        everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• TheThief
          • Mar 2011

Mental-Institution Couture

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

I realize that the clothes that make it to the stores are often much tamer (well, at least the men's), but I'm glad he's producing interesting runway shows. I love all of this.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Crowzer
              • Feb 2011

I would like to see the video of this runway. Look like awesome.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Thank God for Thom Browne... never fails to make me happy.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

I for one have always been a champion of emphasizing the "show" aspect of fashion shows..................i dont think it serves the industry any good to have shows that just show clothing you can go see in a showroom or in the stores.

If this man is relevant for any reason i can appreciate that every fashion week he gives me something to be excited about............at least visually
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                    • Jan 2007

Easily my favourite New York show this season. The presentation is spectacular, and there's a lot of substance behind it as well.
                    Originally posted by jogu
                    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Of course there is room for both kinds, and not even both, but a third kind and a fourth kind too,

people like McQueen, Galliano Gaultier and all, could not get where they did as respected designers without the theatrics and extremity of vision that was expressed in tier runway show.........
                      and people Like Ann, Margiela, Helmut Lang and such became great designers because they offered an aesthetic counterpoint to the frou frou of people like Gautier

Someone like Husein Chalayan is neither the type Like Gaultier or Margiela, but offered up a their perspective purely based on taking conceptual thinking to the purest it can be rendered in clothing form..........

there is room for all of these types, and like it or not, Thom provides a visual spectacle that gives us something to laugh about, think about as absurd, audacious or to some, even pure genius

Originally posted by merz
                      complete disagreement. or maybe there is room for both kinds, but its definitely not what interests me. i'd like to see, feel and experience the clothing first hand. experiencing theatre where the clothing is a pretext is for john galliano and assorted folks who do it because, you know, thats just how its done and what the system says denotes you as being a designer. runway isn't so much about the clothes as fashion.

a runway presentation can damage something otherwise credible though any number of things from styling choices, venue, casting..etc. It can just as well create a deceptive atmosphere where the constituent parts are far less than their sum. i've liked the idea of showrooms precisely because the interaction seems a great deal more personal and allows for the buyer to both understand the work more intimately and provide their own context for its presentation to the consumer. i don't know..

so yeah, brown. tongue's still in cheek. does nothing for me though.
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Pumpfish
                        • Sep 2010

Deeply weird. I'm not sure I like what he is saying about women. Major suppression, even denial, of body shape.

Then again, what he says about men is pretty fucked up too.

Still, nice to see a bit of adventure in mainstream NY.
                        spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Hiddenaway
                          • Jan 2012

I definitely see where Merz is coming from.

Although my take on it is slightly different. I like how Thom uses the runway as a true 'show' and presents his ideas in a theatrical manner. It seems a fun (extravagant) way to showcase his ideas and concepts and I would say he is giving credit to what runway shows should be.
                          Now on the flip side, and this is very true in NYFW, I'm growing tired of these designers doing half and half. Half their collection is stuff you might see in stores and the other half is just 'conceptual' garb thrown in for good measure. But it's not a 'show'. It's so dumbed down and numb and comes off as manic. I think Alexander Wang's shows are a good example of this actually. Half (or more) of these designers don't need a runway show because, I feel, they're not taking full advantage of it. Or giving credit to it. Besides the fact, I feel a lot of these designers would 'look better' in a presentation or lookbook where they can control the vibe/look/feel a bit more. Not to mention save, oh I dunno, tens of thousands of dollars.

Comment

• christianef
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by merz
                            at least you know where the style-conscious palemavens will be buying their striped socks next season. and knowing is half the battle.
                            i actually know a bunch of style-conscious palemavens who would wear this to synagogue in a heart beat along with their junya and cdg youd be surprised (not joking assuming you were.) this will actually probably sell better than haider and ish

Comment

• sissyleaks
                              • Dec 2011

merz i see amazing jackets that would work very well if paired with other designers properly. The silhouette and shoulder construction is simply beautiful- that said, this is very much in vogue. One can tell that these clothes look well made and of exceptional quality just by looking at the pictures. Here is a designer with a vision,- whether people here like it or not is besides the question. Definitely a breath of fresh air in the dreariness that suffocates this forum.....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎