X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surver
    • Oct 2007

Re: Maurizio Altieri, there is no comparison

btw, i think and greatly respect you andyour workas well! been conscious of your work since way back in your beginnings.

Comment

• surver
      • Oct 2007

Re: Carpe Diem, Augusta and Guidi comparison

fausta do you have any images of the avantindietro event? would love to see pics...

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

A little eye candy for everyone:

http://www.guidi.it/video_collection...ection_08.html

guidi's 08 collection video!

Also... http://www.augusta-shoes.com/

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• marco
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

For me is Guidi. He sell the leather to many designers. His tannery do leather tratments for Carol C. Poell, Avanti Indietro (ex Carpe diem) ecc.

At the moment he is less innovative of Carpe Diem, but he has his style. The price is better.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="marco"]

For me is Guidi. He sell the leather to many designers. His tannery do leather tratments for Carol C. Poell, Avanti Indietro (ex Carpe diem) ecc.

At the moment he is less innovative of Carpe Diem, but he has his style. The price is better.

[/quote]

This is true, but, as you point out yourself, they do not have the creative prowess of those to whom they supply the leather. Guidi is a wonderful tannery who is being modernized. In a way it's great, because they are now being kept afloat by those designers who came to them initially for materials and know-how. It's like the old supported the new in its infancy, and now the new gives life to old. Anyway, to me it's much better that the new Guidi takes after Carpe Diem rather than Berluti.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Trendy Andy
              • Jun 2007

If you ever get to reading this.....

I couldn't agree with you more Geoffrey Small. I found your writeup to be very noteworthy and I believe the message you conveyed will be very enduring within this SZ community. The label Guidi might as well be pronounced the way Japanese have been translating as "Greedy" (?????) and thats what it seems like here. He figures since he supplies the quality leather, how difficult is it for him to get his hands on a design where general consumer cannot distinguish the difference from a naked eye? Only a product engineer or a footwear expert would be able to differentiate.

A shame that A.N.C.I. (Italian National Footwear Association) still does not have any regulations especially when their sole purpose is to ensure foreign markets that everything you can expect from an Italian footwear is renown for are there. Such as the creativity, style, original
              design and precision workmanship from the artisan, as well as for
              the use of carefully selected materials. All clothing designs are immediately protected by copyright law. However, any small changes and it is a new design. That's why most famous designers get ripped off immediately upon a new showing which I'm sure you are very familiar with. Encroaching designs and outsource infringements are a designer's worst nightmare. Having to look over his/her shoulder constantly look, concerning who they hire may sell their ideas to the highest bidder. Usually toward companies whose only in the business of making money by utilizing someone else's' diligent designs and research and development. The thought of that can certainly burn out anyone's motivation.

When it comes to ingenuity, Its always an uphill battle when an independent designer feels like it must compete and outdo larger companies. Despite that they had no interest to compete with anybody in the first place. Most designer just wants to be left alone and wish to only challenge and defy their ideas within themselves. Sadly, designers retire much earlier than their expected shelf life.

[quote user="Geoffrey B. Small"]

He is a very shrewd businessman. Believe me, I have learned in this
              business to spot them from miles away. He supplied Maurizio, saw how
              much money CD was making, and started supplying many others, then
              coming to Paris every designer week, and then surprise-- doing his own
              label too (even hiring ex CD salespeople to contact the stores for
              him), eventually replacing CD in many stores because he sold look
              alikes for less. Pure business. No more.......The lower price for Guidi is cool, but I really have to emphasize, that the purchaser is not getting the same thing, and people need to know.

[/quote]

Comment

• landwolf
                Banned
                • Apr 2008

incredible thread, I feel like I've learned a lot in just 3 pages. Threads like this are what make me truly happy to be a part of such a special community.

back to silent observation for me.

Comment

• tjoek
                  • Apr 2008

I do really enjoy reading these 3 pages.

Geoffrey, if you don't mind please provide us with more information.
                  I genuinely interested in knowing Maurizio Altieri....

After reading the story I do really admire *hat off* him....

Not many designers nowadays have the same passion to create something that truly unique and on stellar ("a league on its own") level.

Maybe this is unrelated but for me the same admiration goes to Poell after inspecting detail of his designs posted on SZ and pants and jacket I own.

________
                  buy iolite vaporizer
                  Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• JohnFG
                    • May 2007

I found this threat only today ... while looking for Guidi ... and enjoyed reading it A LOT!

As most of you know I am very much into CD and especially love my back zip boots.

Nervertheless I must say that trying on the current Guidi boots at KH was a pleasure and the leather (where I see his perfectness) was as soft as you can imagine for a boot. I'm am thinking of buying a GUIDI pair later this year, but would NEVER give my Cdiems away for it :))

JF

Comment

• desultory
                      • Aug 2007

ALTIERI - UTOPIAN

POELL - REPTILIAN

GUIDI - UTILITARIAN

AUGUSTA - PROTEAN

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="desultory"]

ALTIERI - UTOPIAN

POELL - REPTILIAN

GUIDI - UTILITARIAN

AUGUSTA - PROTEAN

[/quote]

If Augusta is protean, then Altieri is Promethean.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

Augusta is a Utopian, Reptilian, Utilitarian Epigone.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎