X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

These were like extra shiny, almost chrome. I don't remember seeing that on samples and I am starting to wonder if I was just hallucinating, but I don't think I was. I did not get into the zipper nitty-gritty (a shameful thing for an SZ member) but next time I'll do a more careful inspection.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

can someone write rick and please tell urge him to return to the older season zippers so i can buy something with zippers again instead of continuing my seasonal protest? god damn it.

Comment

• cyberthom
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
        can someone write rick and please tell urge him to return to the older season zippers so i can buy something with zippers again instead of continuing my seasonal protest? god damn it.
        same here.. it's a bit depressing how the materials changed to stay competitive.. techno fabric which used to be around 80% cotton and 20% polyester now is 40% cotton and 60% polyester.. zippers are flimsy aluminium ones rather than the chunky raccagnis.. buttons are plastic rather than the beautiful leather ones and shoulder straps have been removed entirely..
        Last edited by cyberthom; 01-01-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

^this is misinformed whining. there are plenty of beautiful fabrics available for tons of styles and lampos (if that's what they are for spring - haven't checked live yet) are def. not low quality zips. as for leather buttons - i hate brown buttons on black fabric.

Comment

• LOVE
            • Dec 2007

Some things are better, some are worse some stayed the same..
            Vicious has 100% silk jersey for men which is the first I've seen.

Then again I don't think outsourcing your assembly to Eastern Europe is ever a sign of rising quality..

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I have a 100% silk tshirt...they weren't common, but they're floating around.

I don't really believe that the composition of a fabric determines the quality, so I'll hold out on judgement to see for myself.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• jskidder1
                • Jan 2011

i hated the brown buttons as well, but my biggest gripe is that the last few seasons have used pretty cheap looking plastic buttons. i miss the old beautiful horn buttons from earlier seasons. i think gleam or anthem was the last time those were used.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                  • Jan 2011

Very few people can even tell the difference in quality (for there is none, really--it is more of an intellectual point of stimulus) except perhaps a dedicated set of historical apparel aficionados who might argue the values of tradition, but my main gripe with buttons featured on some of these brand is precisely that mentioned above--at a certain price point, I want buttons that are anything other than plastic. Buttons largely function the same, across the board, but they should be something other than plastic in this particular market, which totes a certain degree of "handmade, artisanal luxury". I know earlier Rick suits occasionally sported some horn and other materials, but damn. This is particularly a huge gripe for me with Yohji and Ann's products, too. Pay the extra $.50-1.00 per button and factor it into your margin of loss. Pay the extra money for better zippers. I'll stop ranting now.

Comment

• messenoire
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by LOVE View Post
                    Some things are better, some are worse some stayed the same..
                    Vicious has 100% silk jersey for men which is the first I've seen.

Then again I don't think outsourcing your assembly to Eastern Europe is ever a sign of rising quality..
                    to elaborate on what dane said, i have 2 100% silk tees from gleam aw10. i never wear them either because they are cut so slim. dont even get me started on those ugly brown buttons...

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by AVerdantShore View Post
                      in this particular market, which totes a certain degree of "handmade, artisanal luxury"
                      that's your definition of the market, not rick's.

you'd be less confused if you thought about it as the market of "global ready-to-wear brands".

and also, plastics are fucking awesome modern materials - horn is for sentimentalists who enjoy tying their laces under their soles.

Originally posted by LOVE View Post
                      it's usually a sign of rising labor costs.

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        that's your definition of the market, not rick's.

you'd be less confused if you thought about it as the market of "global ready-to-wear brands".

and also, plastics are fucking awesome modern materials - horn is for sentimentalists who enjoy tying their laces under their soles.

Yes, and every woman wants a cubic zirconia engagement ring.
                        sain't

Comment

• Vanna
                          • May 2008

Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                            Yes, and every woman wants a cubic zirconia engagement ring.
                            no need for that. there are flawless synthetic diamonds available for a penny.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Some of my favourite buttons are plastic - ie. cdg boiled polyester's typical orange-y buttons.
                              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AVerdantShore View Post
                                Very few people can even tell the difference in quality (for there is none, really--it is more of an intellectual point of stimulus) except perhaps a dedicated set of historical apparel aficionados who might argue the values of tradition, but my main gripe with buttons featured on some of these brand is precisely that mentioned above--at a certain price point, I want buttons that are anything other than plastic. Buttons largely function the same, across the board, but they should be something other than plastic in this particular market, which totes a certain degree of "handmade, artisanal luxury". I know earlier Rick suits occasionally sported some horn and other materials, but damn. This is particularly a huge gripe for me with Yohji and Ann's products, too. Pay the extra $.50-1.00 per button and factor it into your margin of loss. Pay the extra money for better zippers. I'll stop ranting now.
                                I could not agree more. There is a difference between cost-cutting and insulting your customer's intelligence. The former will still have the customer buying, the latter, you are risking losing a customer.

Shucks, I must disagree with you there. ANY designer who is in the luxury segment of the market should be using quality materials. I don't mind polyester and plastic, but it has to be done well and not look cheap (as is the case with CDG).
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎