• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto Mens FW08-09 - Paris

[quote user="the breaks"]

30 different lines, collaborations all over the place, sportswear, sneakers, cheap materials etc. etc. and everything priced like it's made out of solid platinum.

When is it time to recognize greed for what it is?

[/quote]

These claims about unreasonable/inexplicable pricing can be made about
    nearly every designer we discuss here. I don't really think it's about
    greed when it comes to Ann or Yohji or even these smaller Italian
    labels...it may be hard to comprehend in a highly rarefied environment
    like SZ, where these designers are central to our universe, but many of
    them are still relatively marginal in the world, especially in
    comparison to the ruling luxury conglomerates (with whom they have to
    compete for retail space, etc.) YY has actually been struggling
    financially for many years for exactly this reason, particularly in
    Japan. Runner has an excellent post explaining the issues in detail
    here.

BTW, i saw yesterday what sounds like the female version of this knit
    you are describing. It also comes in black and wheat (beautiful)
    and the price is over 2k.[72]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]I was looking at the lookbook on the subway
      today and I remembered my three favorite coats, including the one
      pictured, and no one bought them. Strange. I wonder if they were
      approaching $4k.[/quote]

You've got the lookbook?[87]

[quote user="laika"]These claims about unreasonable/inexplicable pricing can be made about
      nearly every designer we discuss here. I don't really think it's about
      greed when it comes to Ann or Yohji or even these smaller Italian
      labels...it may be hard to comprehend in a highly rarefied environment
      like SZ, where these designers are central to our universe, but many of
      them are still relatively marginal in the world, especially in
      comparison to the ruling luxury conglomerates (with whom they have to
      compete for retail space, etc.) YY has actually been struggling
      financially for many years for exactly this reason, particularly in
      Japan.
      Runner has an excellent post explaining the issues in detail
      here.

BTW, i saw yesterday what sounds like the female version of this knit
      you are describing. It also comes in black and wheat (beautiful)
      and the price is over 2k.[72][/quote]

Thanks for bringing a little perspective in here, laika. [51]

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yes, Avantster. Thanks to my friend, who pretended he was going to buy something (well, he still may). He wants this coat with tartan (will post a pic in a minute), which is super-dooper! Check out the back!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Went to Yohji in the meatsmelling district today. Well edited buy. I tried on this jacket - I am in love. It looked as if it was tailored for me - the scarf and all. $2500. Fuck that. Oh, and after seeing the garbage that Jeffrey has - it's very hard to criticize Yohji's stuff compared to most of what's out there.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

Yes, Avantster. Thanks to my friend, who pretended he was going to buy something (well, he still may). He wants this coat with tartan (will post a pic in a minute), which is super-dooper! Check out the back!

[/quote]

Yeah, this is awesome - I think Saks has this. Rather than vents, the back has like six pleats, each pleat's inside covered in tartan plaid. Really neat.

Comment

• mesh
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]
              BTW, i saw yesterday what sounds like the female version of this knit you are describing. It also comes in black and wheat (beautiful) and the price is over 2k.[72]

[/quote]

Thank you Laika [51]

oh and Faust [83]

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

30 different lines, collaborations all over the place, sportswear, sneakers, cheap materials etc. etc. and everything priced like it's made out of solid platinum.

[/quote]

to be honest what you describe in that scenario sounds more like the Comme des Garcons corporation than it does Yohji. Are you a fan of Comme?

Comment

• the breaks
                  • Sep 2007

[quote user="matthewhk"][quote user="the breaks"]

[/quote]

to be honest what you describe in that scenario sounds more like the Comme des Garcons corporation than it does Yohji. Are you a fan of Comme?

[/quote]

Yeah I got that too immediately after I'd posted it. I'd say I like CDG slightly better than YY, yes. I still think Rei's gone too far recently with the Speedos and the H&Ms, though. Is it something to do with Japanese designers in general? Do they all just expand expand expand and never stop to think about their integrity as designers? Or is the desire to grow a huge empire something innate to all designers and these guys have just been just lucky enough to "make it"?

Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

well H&M and Speedos, CdG Play ventures aside...the main line is often times charged at a high price relative to the quality of the materials used. I've noticed that Comme is big on using "hard" and "rough" feeling fabrics and shapes, whereas Yohji even in his treatment of peasant materials will somehow refine its presentation through cut, drape, details and design. In comparison, while CdG H+ is slightly cheaper than its YY counterpart, there is less merit I see in the former. Even more so for Junya Watanabe who comes across as a total rip off to me in terms of what he does for men, even though i can appreciate some of it.

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Went to Yohji in the meatsmelling district today. Well edited buy. I tried on this jacket - I am in love. It looked as if it was tailored for me - the scarf and all. $2500. Fuck that. Oh, and after seeing the garbage that Jeffrey has - it's very hard to criticize Yohji's stuff compared to most of what's out there.

[/quote]

Looks amazing. I'm really getting into black and navy these days. Wait for the sales, my friend, they always come 'round...[Y]

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Yeah I got that too immediately after I'd posted it. I'd say I like CDG slightly better than YY, yes. I still think Rei's gone too far recently with the Speedos and the H&Ms, though. Is it something to do with Japanese designers in general? Do they all just expand expand expand and never stop to think about their integrity as designers? Or is the desire to grow a huge empire something innate to all designers and these guys have just been just lucky enough to "make it"?

[/quote]

You have to consider that YY and CdG are fairly small in size and market share compared to the other luxury conglomerates. It's times like this I wish I had access to the financials of YY inc. just to confirm how much smaller they really are.

Regardless, to use runner's words, Japanese companies have always been licencees. It's a first for these Japanese companies to become licensers in the world of western clothing. It's not about just building an empire. They are pioneers and are paving the way for the next generation of Japanese designers. The industry of western clothing in Japan is young. It needs this - someone to look up to, someone to inspire their children to think "Hey, if they could do it, I can, too." Someone has to do it.

What Japanese designers of the new generation have widespread international recognition, really? Jun Takahashi? Takahiro Miyashita? Kazuyuki Kumagai? Naoki Takizawa? Now compare them to other contemporary Western designers. Hedi Slimane. Marc Jacobs. Rick Owens. Gareth Pugh. You might say, who cares about recognition. But for the Japanese, it's important. The majority of the youth there all look up to Western luxury labels, and see their local ones as second grade. YY and CdG and doing their small part to balance that out. I respect that.

Comment

• redmalva
                          • Oct 2006

I'm been eyeing the flannel cape from Yohji @ A. It's such an amazing piece, but wonder if it's really that wearable everyday. Thought anybody? On LVR, it's listed as a women's piece, so was wondering if anybody knew what the sizing was for a true men's 48?

Thanks.

Comment

• soultek
                            • Feb 2007

I tried it on. I think I tried on a 3 and it was fine. A 4 might have been better because there are arm slots, and I felt they should have been lower for me. I'm normally a 52 in regular suits and such and a 4 for Yohji's mainline stuff. The sizing is of course more loose for such a piece. I'd say you'd be okay with a 2 or a 3. One of the beauties of Yohji's pieces is that if you size up above what 'fits' you, it will still look great.

[edit]

oh and I think it could be an everyday piece if you can pull it off at all. You'd be known as "That guy with the cape"

Comment

• Purity
                              • Apr 2007

Comment

• soultek
                                • Feb 2007

^ [74]

Comment

Working...
                                X