X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • excelsiom
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lois Grüveltner View Post
    No you're not - please bring back the Rick aesthetics, please!
    which ones? you mean these?

however you may feel about the collection, to suggest it is a hugely radical departure from rick's established canon is an issue of selective blindness. despite what the buyers for mr.porter would have you believe, rick is not and has never been a black blazer, a black bomber, and a pair of geobaskets. even recent history, and i mean since PLINTH, both mainline and drkshdw have included a slew of pieces in baby blues, pinks, buttercup yellows, pumpkin oranges ...

i actually love the fact that every time a new rick collection comes out the first thing everyone shouts is "where's my old rick!" i adore that, genuinely. bravi on that, rick.
    Last edited by excelsiom; 07-01-2014, 12:23 AM. Reason: resized photos.

Comment

• Denpatou
      • Jan 2010

definitely not for me, but i think there are some interesting things going on. the double breasted coat and some of the colorblocked pieces are very nice, too bad i'm way too short to wear either. would like to see the rest of the pieces before passing judgement.

actually had a chance to try out a pair of og springblades awhile back. i kinda liked the feel, very comfy and springy, but i'm pretty happy w my flyknit racers when it comes to running. i'm a pretty light guy, so they will wear differently for others.

"design"-wise, rick hasn't done much to change the original boring uppers, and by minimizing its design he just further accentuates the shoe's weak silhouette. toebox sucks. as for the high version, they just seem sorta ridiculous. can't imagine them faring very well while actually running, but i suppose i could be surprised.
      SEMI-SORTED. / DRUNKEN HEARTED

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

Originally posted by excelsiom View Post
        which ones? you mean these?

[CENTER]PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES ON THE SAME PAGE

however you may feel about the collection, to suggest it is a hugely radical departure from rick's established canon is an issue of selective blindness. despite what the buyers for mr.porter would have you believe, rick is not and has never been a black blazer, a black bomber, and a pair of geobaskets. even recent history, and i mean since PLINTH, both mainline and drkshdw have included a slew of pieces in baby blues, pinks, buttercup yellows, pumpkin oranges ...

i actually love the fact that every time a new rick collection comes out the first thing everyone shouts is "where's my old rick!" i adore that, genuinely. bravi on that, rick.

which of these boots are made by adidas???

listen kid if I needed someone to tell me what rick really is I would ask uncle internet, u've been here for 2 and half weeks and ur preaching? i'm sure we're all listening and taking notes, I'm taking these screenshots and studying them so i know better the next time I mouth off about fuckin shitty ass adidas ruining stuff. Cause u made a super great point. super..super duper

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jogu View Post
          showroom is the new runway . i like a few garments here n there from this and overall i give it a thumbs up . he still does the kinda clothes i wanna wear , dat double breasted lightweight coat ... yes maam sign my ass up !
          I hate to disappoint you, but even the showroom failed this time. I would be scratching my head this season if I was a buyer.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• avout
            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by jogu View Post
            showroom is the new runway . i like a few garments here n there from this and overall i give it a thumbs up . he still does the kinda clothes i wanna wear , dat double breasted lightweight coat ... yes maam sign my ass up !
            So old runway is the new runway?

I feel this has kinda always been the case with Rick - runway is more of a spectacle and you know all the same items will (thankfully) still be in stores. As far as spectacle goes, I don't like this one much but I'm not super worried about it either.

Footwear truly is terrible though. I wish he had added some bizarre take on the springblades - like maybe it's just two thick-ass blades like some ridiculous geta
            Last edited by avout; 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

The Moody arrivals are so good and different from what I had expected based on the runway show that I question whether it's even worth having an opinion on his shows beyond "spectacle." And what a spectacle it was.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• miserableman
                • Dec 2009

Over the last few years I've become less and less interested in seeing his runway show, this lack of interest co-responds with reduction of wearable pieces which seems to get reduced season after season.

You could take a print screen of Luisaviaroma's / theCorner's / Antonioli's / etc etc buys from the last half a dozen years and you'd have no idea which season it's from because the screen shots would all be the same more or less.

Comment

• light1008
                  • Aug 2012

Overall I find the collection weak, but the coat in look 7 and the harness + jacket combo in 31 are nice. The coat in 7 reminds me of something from Dustulator.

Comment

• LOVE
                    • Dec 2007

very cool to see some figurative/non-geometric prints this time around. not what i expect from rick, but why would you ever want the expected?

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

I have to say that after looking through the photos a couple of times, the collection kind of grew on me, I wouldn't sayI like it, but I dislike it a bit less now.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        I have to say that after looking through the photos a couple of times, the collection kind of grew on me, I wouldn't sayI like it, but I dislike it a bit less now.

aka the rick effect

Comment

• Shifts
                          • Jul 2013

Have never seen the original spring blades in action before, until yesterday. It was truly a WTF moment; both shoes made a squeeky sound at every step.

Comment

• Jun 2014

“[Thierry] was... whipping someone in a back room somewhere. Where as Rick, Rick’s like 'Yeah this is what I’m into. This is fashion. In fact this is not just fashion - this is Hip Hop fashion.’ That there’s a back room which is very open.”

Collection aside, I like this explanation of the Rick Owens brand as the back room of a leather bar flung wide open.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

That's something the brand would be even five years ago. Now, I am not so sure. I mean, it still is, but it's also become something else, mostly through the patterns of consumption. The long-top/loose shorts/geobasekts uniform hardly telegraphs "leather bar."

So, here is a philosophical question for you (all) - does a brand become something else because of who wears it and how? Can its meaning be co-opted and does a brand have the ability to fight back, if it wants to?

I was also thinking about this reading about how Burberry fought back to reclaim its image from chavs.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• avout
                                • Nov 2011

Man, I don't think he's at all worried about being "co-opted". That second response should be stamped on the SZ banner as a reminder.

YOUR CLOTHING LOOKS DIFFICULT BUT IS ACTUALLY VERY EASY AND WEARABLE. I HEARD THAT THEY ARE ALREADY GETTING BACK POSITIVE RESPONSES IN KOREA. HOW MUCH DO YOU GIVE CONSIDERATION TO THE COMMERCIAL PARTS?

I WANT MY CLOTHES TO BE WORN. I WANT THEM TO BE A VIABLE OPTION, NOT A CONCEPTUAL INDULGENCE. BEING ABLE TO SLIGHTLY CHANGE HOW PEOPLE THINK ABOUT DRESSING IN EVERYDAY LIFE IS SO MUCH MORE PROFOUND TO ME THAN MAKING THINGS TO ONLY WEAR ONCE.

ALTHOUGH YOUR PIECES ARE WEARABLE, IT SEEMS THAT THERE ARE NOT MANY WOMEN WHO CAN REALLY LOOK GOOD IN YOUR CLOTHING. WHICH KIND OF WOMEN WOULD YOU LIKE IN YOUR CLOTHING?

I WOULD LIKE MY CLOTHES TO BE FOR EVERYONE. I WANT TO CREATE AN INCLUSIVE WORLD, NOT AN EXCLUSIVE ONE.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎