X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Comme Des Garcons Womens F/W 08.09 Paris

lol, that's Francis Bean, Faust. Kurt Cobain's offspring.

Thanks Zam,glad your enjoying and hope you'll join in when you have time. [51]

[quote user="Faust"]

How many wear the stuff because they feel something when they wear it, and how many do because it's a certain style, a form with no content attached?

[/quote]

Fashion only operates in forms though; the content of fashion is fashion. I don't believe clothes are the garb of deep and hidden meanings. What does your Ann Demeulemeester coat mean, other than that you have a particular kind of [good] taste, that you're refined to a certain degree? It may have some personal significance to you, but it's effectively meaningless to others.

It's through the form of clothes that the body becomes expressive, in ways often unexpected...that's where the potential for subversion lies. I think Yohji has always been extremely aware of this. Perhaps Rei too, although her method of dealing with a potentially expressive body is far more imposing--more about changing and constraining than releasing (yohji).

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Maybe I did not express myself clearly - I did not mean form/content like in a novel, where a writer writes a certain way (form) while writing something (content). It's more like that reflects content, and by reflecting it resurrects or reinforces it. Ann is a prime example of that - her content is primarily romance. Raf's work is another prime example - his content is a rebellious vibe that goes through one's teenagehood while one is forming himself. Content is one of the reasons I am attracted to their work - it says something, or at the least it reflects something. So, when one takes this content, or whatever you want to call it, and adopts it (and I mean the wholesale look) merely as ornament, it strikes me as insincere.

Sidenote: I don't mean to be reductive in my comments. Ann's romantic notion is reflected in a variety of things (poetic, nomadic, rock'n'rollish, and so on), but they reflect a certain notion that is made up of these things. Same with Raf (that's why the Siddhartha collection fits perfectly well with his rock/punk themes, and his anti-consumerism themes - they are all elements of searching for answers).

And don't laugh at me for not knowing famous children. [71][86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="Faust"] Can't wait to hear Rei's explanation
        [/quote]

Amy Winehouse

[/quote]

Apparently she is an inspiration not only for Rei [:^)]

AMY WOWHOUSE:
        Even the stars were star struck when British songstress Amy Winehouse
        took to the stage for an exclusive concert for Fendi Friday night.

?Forgive
        my ignorance, I don't know anything about fashion,? declared Winehouse
        to a crowd who would forgive her anything. The singer, in a strappy
        black number and sporting her signature hairdo, wooed the stars,
        including Jessica Alba, the Olsen twins, Kanye West, Rihanna, Claudia
        Schiffer and Sofia Coppola, and the fashion set, including Karl
        Lagerfeld, the entire Arnault clan and Silvia Fendi

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

Without negating the idea that content is one reason to be attracted to the work, adornment of oneself is another valid reason and is not insincere. It provides a way to feel something more, or express an aspect of oneself. Perhaps a search for beauty and an attraction to a particular aesthetic leads one to choose or adopt, and then out of that comes the understanding of the content, which could/could not have an effect on the initial attraction. I believe that sometimes it is alright to just have it feel good or just look good and nothing more.

While stating this I realize that content is quite integral to any work, even if the content is to have no content.

I too do not know many famous children.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]

Without negating the idea that content is one reason to be attracted to the work, adornment of oneself is another valid reason and is not insincere. It provides a way to feel something more, or express an aspect of oneself. Perhaps a search for beauty and an attraction to a particular aesthetic leads one to choose or adopt, and then out of that comes the understanding of the content, which could/could not have an effect on the initial attraction. I believe that sometimes it is alright to just have it feel good or just look good and nothing more.

While stating this I realize that content is quite integral to any work, even if the content is to have no content.

[/quote]

You are absolutely right. My only problem is that when clothes are used for mere posturing. Although, come to think of it, it too may be a part of soul searching, especially during teenagehood. Although one would tend to think that people would grow out of such mentality at least in high school. [72]

Did I mention, welcome to SZ?! [51]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
              • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="kira"]

[/quote]

You are absolutely right. My only problem is that when clothes are used for mere posturing. Although, come to think of it, it too may be a part of soul searching, especially during teenagehood. Although one would tend to think that people would grow out of such mentality at least in high school. [72]

Thank you for the welcome. Very new to all of this but highly intrigued by the dialogue on this site. One would hope people would grow out of that mentality in high school, but see it more times than not unfortunately.

Did I mention, welcome to SZ?! [51]

[/quote]
              Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎