Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pumpfish
    • Sep 2010

The Cobain JPG thing is a minor interaction which has been blown out of proportion. This wasn't a Kanye infatuation with fashion, or Bowie or Bryan Ferry.

On the fetishization of youth, is Hedi selling an elixir to old men, or is he selling youth back to the gilded (and gelded) youth?
    spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Illithid Dude
      • May 2013

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
      On the fetishization of youth, is Hedi selling an elixir to old men, or is he selling youth back to the gilded (and gelded) youth?
      Both. I know a couple of the models who walked for this show, and they actually come from wealthy families and wear Saint Laurent. It's like a weird ouroboros thing where the show that is used to sell the product sells the product to those in the show. And then, of course, there's that huge segment of consumer that doesn't really care about the whole rock fantasy Hedi is selling and just wants the high tops and biker jeans because of the logo and the hype.

Comment

• Law
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post

Both. Not much different than the middle-aged men who wear True Religion jeans and Ed Hardy t-shirts I suppose. Only on a more refined and "glamorous" level.

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
          Both. Not much different than the middle-aged men who wear True Religion jeans and Ed Hardy t-shirts I suppose. Only on a more refined and "glamorous" level.
          So what of the middle-aged men who wears Dark Shadow Jeans and T-shirts?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by clay View Post
            So what of the middle-aged men who wears Dark Shadow Jeans and T-shirts?
            Depends if they are in it for the hype or not. It's a really tired argument by now, no? We all know that Rick is now famous and people wear it for different reasons. Who cares.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
              • Nov 2014

"Everything basic to Ye Guevara
              Which means Saint Laurent is my Zara."
              - Kanye West
              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

All levels of awesomeness right here. It takes talent to write something so fucking stupid.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HWith
                  • May 2007

I don't get it, what am I missing? Is he comparing himself to Che Guevara, and what does Guevara have to do with anything?

Comment

• GucciAmen
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                    I don't get it, what am I missing? Is he comparing himself to Che Guevara, and what does Guevara have to do with anything?
                    Did some quick reading, apparently this "Ye Guevara" is his new nickname--must be tied into how he views himself to be an activist? And then the next part is just hubris-injected garbage (how he buys saint laurent like other people buy zara).

Comment

• HWith
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                      Did some quick reading, apparently this "Ye Guevara" is his new nickname--must be tied into how he views himself to be an activist? And then the next part is just hubris-injected garbage (how he buys saint laurent like other people buy zara).
                      I thought his new nickname was Yeesuz. Oh well. Son of god, activist, rockstar... it's hard to pick just one when you're such a talented genius (roll eyes).

Comment

• ian+
                        • Dec 2011

who is Kanye West? Last time I checked he was selling over-sized holes for 1k.
                        ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• david s
                          • Jul 2010

I guess what I find missing in Hedi's work is something that would carry on the narrative thread of YSL's work/legacy.

I'm sure this is territory that has been covered elsewhere already, but when I think of a fashion house "brand" that has successfully moved forward, McQueen. Sara Burton has her own unique style but at the same time it's still something recognizably of that house. You can put one of her collections against past from McQueen himself and there is a continuity.

Hedi has the continuity down pat, but only within his own world. Put all of his collections together and yes you can say "that comes from the same mind." I don't think you could take a YSL collection from 1976 and compare to a collection from 2013 and see a connection.
                          Last edited by david s; 07-22-2015, 05:38 PM.
                          It's absolutely Hedious!
                          shy poser

Comment

• Arkady
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            It's absolutely Hedious!
                            Can't stop laughing at this.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              I don't think you could take a YSL collection from 1976 and compare to a collection from 2013 and see a connection.

to be fair, i don't think building on designs that are 40 years old is the same as building on designs that were made just a few seasons ago... and to me something has still definitely been lost in the transition from lee mcqueen to sara burton... some kind of vibrancy/nerve. her designs seem so static to me. but to each his own i guess.

Comment

• david s
                                • Jul 2010

true that, I see your point on Burton, I find her stuff beautiful but something to be admired from afar, e.g. a museum piece

maybe the entire conversation gets down to navel gazing, I'm sure he came in and was told to make the outfit some money, he can't be faulted for that

if nothing else his work generates lots of conversations

what's the saying, no such thing as bad press
                                It's absolutely Hedious!
                                shy poser

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍