X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iSuck
    • Mar 2008

Raf Simons to Design for Versace

....well if we had this site 10 years ago we'd be chatting away about this on our 24-56k dial up modems.

Raf Simons: A Versace Possible?

MILAN: Six months after the killing of Gianni Versace, his sister Donatella has approached Raf Simons, 29, a hip Belgian menswear designer who is one of fashion's rising stars.

According to sources in Belgium, a deal for Simons to contribute his edgy tailoring to the Versace design studio could be struck by the end of the month, after the designer presents his menswear show in Paris on Jan. 23. But a spokesman for Versace said that such speculation was unfounded.

Contacted at his Antwerp studio on Monday, Simons said that discussing an appointment was premature, that the idea of working with Versace "interested him a lot," but that it was too early to say when and if plans would be concretized or even which of the several Versace menswear lines was under discussion.

Although Simons's provocative look, with sly references to punk and to classic English schoolboy uniforms, might seem too downtown for the glam-rock Versace label, it could be a smart move to tap a designer who would reflect the style of a coming generation.

Simons is also a sensitive and sophisticated tailor who cuts "the perfect modern pants," according to the designer boutique-owner Maria Luisa Poumaillou, whose new Paris men's store will focus on his line.

The Belgian designer is not one of Antwerp's fashion college graduates who have become a design force in the 1990s. He studied industrial design and graduated in furniture, which brought him into contact with Belgian fashion's Walter Van Bierendonck.

Simons, who says he has "a lot of respect for traditional clothing," approached a revered Antwerp tailor and learned from him how to cut a silhouette close to a slight boyish frame, rather than to the bold, muscly body shape more typical of 1980s menswear, when Versace made a broad-shouldered impact.

Starting in a small way three years ago, Simons set up and financed his own company, which he says he wants to keep whatever the outcome of negotiations in Italy.

"The most important thing for me is that I keep the possibility to do my own thing as it is at the moment," Simons said. "It is also important for me that there is a certain kind of luxury in the technical things."

Versace's current menswear is produced by Donatella Versace and her husband, Paul Beck, working with a team of designers.

A source in Antwerp suggests that Simons and fellow Belgian women's wear designer Veronique Branquinho could have been approached jointly, but there seems no evidence for this.

http://www.iht.com/articles/1998/01/13/dona.t.php

• casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Raf Simons to Design for Versace

For a second I thought she was going to release Plokhov from her spell until I saw the date of the article. Oh how funny things would be if that had happened. I'd rather lose Raf and have Plokhov back at this point, but that's just me [:$]
    music

Comment

• Jorge Hache
      • Sep 2006

Using our imagination, dreaming a little bit, and beyond the horror factor of imaging paisley/medusas print silk eastpacks, the idea of having somekind of collaboration between Simons and Plokhov may open a lot of possibilities for the brand, but just if:

a. Kill Donatella

b. Burn thousands of miles of barroque printed silk and satin fabrics

c. Limit the colour palette to hues of gray, dark greens, obviously black and a little splash of colour

d. Relocated to Paris (or even New York) running from the italian mob of eurotrashers

Comment

• Jorge Hache
        • Sep 2006

I need to remind that all is just fantasies and dreamings thanx to the isuck post

Comment

• what_counts
          • Mar 2008

eurotrash-ninjas

the new steez

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

i think Versace menswear in its current state is fine...ive taken a look at the stuff in store a few times and it looks alright to me. just sober tailoring in muted greys and blacks for the most part.

even Gianni Versace's work at its peak was relevant and brilliant for the time in which it came out.

Comment

• matthewhk
              • Jan 2007

the current work of Raf Simons is more stereotypical "Versace" than Versace itself these days

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

yeah and i could've sworn i saw kanye wear raf somewhere..."Pass that Raf-sisi" seems to be the motto of choice these days

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]the current work of Raf Simons is more stereotypical "Versace" than Versace itself these days[/quote]

what do you mean by that?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

^^ yeah, i don't understand that.

Comment

• iSuck
                      • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="matthewhk"]the current work of Raf Simons is more stereotypical "Versace" than Versace itself these days[/quote]

what do you mean by that?

[/quote]

colorful?

Comment

• matthewhk
                        • Jan 2007

maybe...colorful...flamboyant...ahh i don't even know what i was saying when i said that.

I don't think the current Versace is bad at all. Id rather wear 08 Versace than 08 Raf for what its worth.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎