no, really.
        I don't believe you

Comment

• theaddict
          • Apr 2008

mass object dyed pieces...

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
          HAHAHAHA. CCP+H&M = epic.
          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• the breaks
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
            mass object dyed pieces...
            I don't think they're dyed one by one as it is. Not any more.
            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gerry View Post
              That's why I emphasized the role of CDG as a brand – with the backing of CDG, H&M can and essentially has made those clothes with an artificial (well, you decide whether that's true) sense of meaning and purpose. I was merely trying to point out that Junya and CDG have risen above their original aesthetic (in their mainlines) to create things that cannot be reproduced by H&M now.

I also disagree with the statement that deconstruction is everywhere if we're talking about the likes of H&M. You have to remember that even though H&M rips off designers constantly, they are always designers like Marc Jacobs, Anna Sui, and the like. I was under the assumption that my asymmetrical black clothes with reversed seams were looked upon as entirely normal until I actually talked to someone about it. Torn jeans are not deconstruction. Deconstruction has become commonplace within the fashion industry, but that's about it. Clothes, not fashion?
              OK, I see what you're getting at. I agree that CDG certainly has come a long way from their original aesthetic.
              My point of disagreement was with your statement that CDGs original collections, or aesthetic could be reproduced by H&M now.
              The idea of using a monochromatic palette, asymmetry, slightly torn up (or deconstructed, for lack of a better word), and loose silhouette may be copied, but IMO the inherent quality of a CDG garment from the 1980s, from conception, to the careful choice of fabric, or distinct attention to detail in the asymmetry or deconstruction, elevates and distinguishes it from anything a mass produced manufacturer like H&M could put out.

Take for example the jacket you posted. It make look simple enough, but the drape of the lapels, bared left shoulder, gentle folds and length are all carefully considered.

Or perhaps the outfit below.
              Comme des Garcons, 1983 S/S
              Off white cotton jersey blouse with cotton ribbon applique, washed white patchwork dress of sheeting and rayon satin.

Perhaps we're going a little OT here, but what I meant by 'deconstruction is everywhere' was that it has become widespread enough in fashion to have filtered through (albeit in a severely diluted form) to mainstream clothing. And as a result we see torn jeans and tees with reversed seams and unfinished edges everywhere.
              let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

^I think some of the points Avanster is making, was what I was alluding at when I posed the question to Laika. That the actual collaboration here is a watered down version of CdG. I do agree with you Laika that one should "judge" a piece on its own, but I still find it hard, when one have had the experience with a certain level(for the lack of a better words) of creativity that one can shift, now if its possible for Rei to create in collaboration with H&M something that is on par with her own mainline, it does raises some questions here about her own endeavors. Personally I don't think it was appropriate to bring Junya in, because I think in recent years it's on whole other intensity level.

As for deconstruction, even deconstruction has to be deconstructed. As a result, the signifying field is not accorded any conditioning or transcendental status. This dimension of exploration would be as barren as those of reality or imagination. In practice, however, the signifying field does gain a certain privilege in deconstruction insofar as it is able to incorporate any thought, object or product of culture within its chains of associations. Deconstruction is only able to operate insofar as it effectively privileges the field of signification because it knows of no other possible field of meaning. It is therefore caught in a self-conscious and deliberate performative contradiction, always deconstructing itself. That's the real problem of Rei(or at least mine). This is not to say that there is no significant to deconstruction, as Avanster also points out, but maybe only as an investigation or play with structures of meaning and how these are produced.
                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• snafu
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by boysdontcryy View Post
                  = never gonna happen.
                  lets hope not,

tomorrow might go down to oxford circus and have a look the only things that really interest me is the womans pants,
                  i just cant see the brits going crazy for this like the rest of the world or just like japan,
                  les told me he went down and got his ann messenger ripped by some crazy woman with her hanger

just cant imagine this happening here

Comment

• Avantster
                    ¤¤¤
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                    ^I think some of the points Avanster is making, was what I was alluding at when I posed the question to Laika. That the actual collaboration here is a watered down version of CdG. I do agree with you Laika that one should "judge" a piece on its own, but I still find it hard, when one have had the experience with a certain level(for the lack of a better words) of creativity that one can shift, now if its possible for Rei to create in collaboration with H&M something that is on par with her own mainline, it does raises some questions here about her own endeavors. Personally I don't think it was appropriate to bring Junya in, because I think in recent years it's on whole other intensity level.
                    Not to answer for Laika, but to use therapysessions junk food analogy, you can't have fascinatingly creative molecular gastronomy for every meal. It's great to have some balance. Variety and contrast are the spice of life.

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                    As for deconstruction, even deconstruction has to be deconstructed. As a result, the signifying field is not accorded any conditioning or transcendental status. This dimension of exploration would be as barren as those of reality or imagination. In practice, however, the signifying field does gain a certain privilege in deconstruction insofar as it is able to incorporate any thought, object or product of culture within its chains of associations. Deconstruction is only able to operate insofar as it effectively privileges the field of signification because it knows of no other possible field of meaning. It is therefore caught in a self-conscious and deliberate performative contradiction, always deconstructing itself. That's the real problem of Rei(or at least mine). This is not to say that there is no significant to deconstruction, as Avanster also points out, but maybe only as an investigation or play with structures of meaning and how these are produced.
                    I'm certainly not up to speed with Derrida but my original intent was to only using the word in the sense relevant to clothing that you last describe here.

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                    lets hope not,

tomorrow might go down to oxford circus and have a look the only things that really interest me is the womans pants,
                    i just cant see the brits going crazy for this like the rest of the world or just like japan,
                    les told me he went down and got his ann messenger ripped by some crazy woman with her hanger

just cant imagine this happening here
                    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• jevna
                      • Aug 2007

i'm kind of interested in the low crotch pants. does anybody know anything about the sizing? Would they fit a guy? I'm a 46 in waist.
                      I saw on ebay that the sizes are like 4, 8, 10 etc....

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

^ I'd imagine some sellers having measurements, thats the best way to determine the size
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• misuse_me
                          • Aug 2008

Hmmm... the collection collaboration seem much better than the previous designers... However , i guess i will still give it a miss.
                          I LIVE THROUGH OBJECTS.

Comment

• polishmike
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by jevna View Post
                            i'm kind of interested in the low crotch pants. does anybody know anything about the sizing? Would they fit a guy? I'm a 46 in waist.
                            I saw on ebay that the sizes are like 4, 8, 10 etc....
                            size 6 waist is 13" (laid flat)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

Man, the hype of the pieces on ebay is beyond belief.

People saying ridiculously low amounts of the black complex dress coat were available in their respective cities/countries. The funny thing is... if it truly were so low... then practically ALL of them are on ebay

oh mayhem....
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                                Not to answer for Laika, but to use therapysessions junk food analogy, you can't have fascinatingly creative molecular gastronomy for every meal. It's great to have some balance. Variety and contrast are the spice of life.
                                Now hopefully you don't believe in this you just wrote, as one would hope that different "fascinatingly creative molecular gastronomy" experiences gives one great variety and contrast in life. Like one would find contrast and variety between a Francis Bacon and a Spinazzi, or let say Marcel Proust and William Burroughs, or Mozart and Handel. Even within their own work there is variety and contrast to be found, and we might even agree that these are all fascinating creative experiences? ...

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                                I'm certainly not up to speed with Derrida but my original intent was to only using the word in the sense relevant to clothing that you last describe here.
                                No one is up to speed with Derrida, not even Derrida himself!
                                But definitely recommended to get close, if one would like to understand these matters better in relation to any given cultural product/context.
                                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍