X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macuser3of5
    • Sep 2006

Re: Jeremy Scott

I'll just chime in and say that I like Scott's work overall, there is a certain playful Seuss-ness to the stuff he makes. I don't think I would wear it, though, nor would I attach heaping accolates to his work.

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Well, I've been through the majority of those shows, and my conclusion still stands:

I'm not particularly impressed by his runway material. There is a certain playful aspect that's amusing, I agree, but it seems like there's too much of that. Nothing ever really stood out from said "playful" aspect, either, so his said playfullness, in my opinion, is not necessarily resulting in good clothes.

I'll admit that he has some interesting ideas, but the execution on the actual clothing element is... iffy.

Edit: It's like the goddamn FUTURE up in this one: http://www.nordstrom.firstview.com/W...OTT/index.html. Man, Jeremy Scott's on the cutting edge.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• implicit
        • Sep 2006

so i went through a few of the collections posted in that link above and it has made me re-think my opinion of scott.

i think he's crap. nothing really worthwhile and, worst of all, none of it is good, bad, or even "shocking" enough to be worth any sort of meaningful debate.

it's junk.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="kucejoe"]

I managed to find pictures of his earlier collections. I must admit that some of the outfits, while not good, are not all that horrid. However, much of the passable stuff is far outshined by the loads of tackiness. My personal favorite is the montage in the Spring 04 collection that can be best described as "cheap schoolroom slut"

Enjoy:

http://www.nordstrom.firstview.com/a...remyScott.html

Oh, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but after repeated viewing I kind of, sort of..............actually like that french fry dress posted earlier. There is something wrong with me, I'm going to go look at some Chalayan or something.

[/quote]

ROFL - that's right, you need to purify yourself now!

Tafkap, I really hope you don't take our criticism personally. Honestly, mos of us just don't like his work, even if he does it in playful, pop-culture referential context. There are plenty of ways to reference pop-culture without producing garish, gaudy things. If I'd only seen his superior sartorial skills reflecting his views, I'd respect him more. But I haven't seen that. I've seen it from Wilhelm, and from the father of outlandish grotesque whom they both imitate (I hope you won't deny that) Walter van Bierendonck (sp?).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Kodak
            • Oct 2006

I can't believe people actually but his junky, tacky, tastelss designs. Maybe his clothing wouldn't leave such a bad taste in my mouth if it wasn't so outragousely priced. Anyways he can be filed into the same little holding cell with with designers such as Heatherette and they can watch as their creations are burned.

Comment

• goethe
              • Oct 2006

faust has a point. even though willhelm's clothing is hideous for the most part, the quality of his earlier work was amazing. those knit sweaters inspired by german forrests were beautiful. scott's clothing seems cheap and mediocre overall. its "clever" clothing. yuck.

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

[quote user="goethe"]faust has a point. even though willhelm's clothing is hideous for the most part, the quality of his earlier work was amazing. those knit sweaters inspired by german forrests were beautiful. scott's clothing seems cheap and mediocre overall. its "clever" clothing. yuck.
                [/quote]

Were these not on First View? I must've missed them; a link would be much appreciated.

Comment

• goethe
                  • Oct 2006

if i can ever figure out how to post pictures i will put some up of these knits. until then, sorry!

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

You can host the image files at http://imageshack.us/ if you need to.

Simply place the 'address' of the image file between two things like this ["img"]*The address goes here*["/img"]

and just remove the "s from with the img tags.

Comment

• fixoid
                      • Sep 2006

i think these are the sweaters goethe is talking about. more pictures appreciated.

Comment

• implicit
                        • Sep 2006

yeah, i really like that second sweater.

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

Not to add insult to the ultimately minor injury that we're inflicting upon Jeremy Scott, but perhaps you heard the argument that the only people who bought his recent collection were Los Angeles / New York hipster twatwaffles, and then that one guy told us how we were so underestimating his clientel? Well, he was wrong.

I saw this fellow on Blue States Lose and just knew I had seen that goddamn sweatshirt somewhere. Obviously, while this could be the exception and not the rule, I sort of doubt it.

Comment

• onemancult
                            • Dec 2006

Kanye West does not care about SZ's opinions.

Comment

• mutterlein
                              • Dec 2006

Jeremy Scott and Bernhard Willhelm are in totally different leagues. I don't care much for either but Willhelm's women's wear is still pretty clever. His menswear isn't my taste but it at least employs the craft and production standards you'd expect from a high end designer. Scott's work has trailed off into the domain of eccentric sportswear like Bathing Ape and Modern Amusement. I'm sure it's equally hip in Japan (Willhelm is HUGE there). He's showing in Paris again next season. Perhaps that will give him the proper motivation.

Comment

• kucejoe
                                • Sep 2006

Sorry, could'nt resist...here is another Jeremy Scott customer.

He looks like a winner...

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎