• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Patrik Ervell

[quote user="new_dawn_fades"]

ive been following this guy since ss06 as well...and i like the guy... like someone said earlier. Its no fuss..and i would like to wear some of these clothes on a day to day basis... i havent seen pleated trousers look so good...(the one with the biker).. i really liked ss06 and F/w 06. the new one is nice..but i think the slight chalayan aspect of it appealed more to me.. :P.. does anyone own any of his stuff? i havent seen any in person..

[/quote]

Well, what are his prices like? I don't know - are they basics prices? Probably not. I'll be the voice of dissent, I guess - I think this is all rather bland. There is simple, and there is bland. I'd take Stephen Schneider's work any day over this. The biker jacket - I don't see a single detail that makes me give it a second look - it's 100% copy of the original MC jacket (MC = motorcycle). The other stuff seems rather juvenile - those shorts and such. Granted, these pictures are far from best, and I haven't seen any of his stuff in person, but that's what I think at this point.

The only thing I like from the pix is the red jacket.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

well........ its not so bad Faust, even though i clearly
      understand your point, there is really nothing that makes you want to
      whip out your wallet, spend the rent money and dodge the landlord for
      a week or two[:P], but sometimes fabrications and craftsmanship make
      some basics really desireable.

picture # 1and 3 on the left of
      the screen in the first post seems rather nice, also picture # 4 on the
      right in the second post. The t-shirts also seem cool too (even though
      i would,nt wear any of them , nothing agaist them, i just have a
      disdain for T-shirts with prints , which is kind of hypocritical as i
      plan to make some for my own line, i also for some unknown reason, hate
      short sleeve shirts.)

Good to see you all here though, Faust i
      missed you TFS . and a lot of people have been asking where you
      suddenly disappeared to............................................

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

well........ its not so bad Faust, even though i clearly
        understand your point, there is really nothing that makes you want to
        whip out your wallet, spend the rent money and dodge the landlord for
        a week or two
        [:P], but sometimes fabrications and craftsmanship make
        some basics really desireable.

picture # 1and 3 on the left of
        the screen in the first post seems rather nice, also picture # 4 on the
        right in the second post. The t-shirts also seem cool too (even though
        i would,nt wear any of them , nothing agaist them, i just have a
        disdain for T-shirts with prints , which is kind of hypocritical as i
        plan to make some for my own line, i also for some unknown reason, hate
        short sleeve shirts.)

Good to see you all here though, Faust i
        missed you TFS . and a lot of people have been asking where you
        suddenly disappeared to............................................

[/quote]

Yes, well put! What you say is true, of course - this is not my final judgment until I see some of this in person (which I probably won't since I don't really care for stores like Odin and Bblessing, and they are too out of the way for me to warrant a trip).

And, thanks - it's great to see you here too, zamb. Yea, I saw people asking where I went. Too bad I don't have a chance to answer them, heh...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I am going to Bblessing this evening, (i am scouting new retail outlets for my line for FW 2007) i will check the quality of it if they have anything in stock.

maybe it might be more interesting in person, or maybe it might be really awful. I will see later.....

also, dont worry too much about answering them, most of us now know where to find you, and the most important think is that you are alive and well...........

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

I am going to Bblessing this evening, (i am scouting new retail outlets for my line for FW 2007) i will check the quality of it if they have anything in stock.

maybe it might be more interesting in person, or maybe it might be really awful. I will see later.....

[/quote]

Cool - do post your review.

[quote user="zamb"]

also, dont worry too much about answering them, most of us now know
            where to find you, and the most important think is that you are alive
            and well...........

[/quote]

... and with a forum of my own [;)] . Thank you for the warm words.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Its our forum, not YOURS!! (please dont kick me off for saying that[:D])

Yes.. i will post my review this evening..

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

Its our forum, not YOURS!! (please dont kick me off for saying that[:D])

Yes.. i will post my review this evening..

[/quote]

Yes, of course, that's what I meant! [:D]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Ok went to Bblessing this evening, cool store, very dark, amost gothic feel, kinda like the cloak (like sucks, there closing) store on greene Street,

Faust its not bad, i give it a thumbs up. they only sell menswear though, opening ceremony, Preen, Earnest sewn and a few others that i cant remember, they have a great mix of products, shoes, wallets, glasses etc. very nice salespeople too, they have good manners.

there was thisasian kid (salesperson maybe), who was inquiring about my "polis" bag, when i told him i made it, he wanted to order one........ sorry, too busy right now i have a fall collection to finish.

the designer Patrik Ervell is not so bad Faust, stuff is kinda basic but really cool, descently made too.....not great but good, with some really interesting details that the pictures Dont show and above average fabrics

there is this one jacket he had with a really interesting cut to the armhole. and a pair of grey wool flannel pants with a really nice waistband detailing, the Jacket was on sale for $350, (everything in the store was on sale except the earnest sewn stuff)

I dont like the cut of his pants though, too short, in Jamaica , only thechildren wear those pants, after youve had them for a couple of years and you out grow them

Your friends would laugh and say "the Tailor took your measurments while you were standing in water".............

see ya all. Ive got two pairs of pants to finish tonite...... that should've been done since monday

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks for the review Zamb, sounds good. Do you know if the pants are actually cut that short or are they just hemmed like that for the presentation? I like the cut of his pants otherwise, and I don't mind highwaters for summer.

I can see where you're coming from Faust, I was waiting for someone to dissent because it's too simple. It's hard to balance basics vs. extraordinary pieces, part of me thinks I should only spend money on really fantastic standout pieces but if I did that I might have a wardrobe full of crazy things that I hardly ever wear. So it's nice to have some brands to go to for quality basics. That's why I don't have a problem dropping money on Dior jeans, sure there are lots of jeans much cheaper, but they're perfect for me and I wear them constantly. But I agree that if you're going to be paying a lot for fairly basic items the fit, quality, and construction better be superb.

music

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Well, what are his prices like? I don't know - are they basics prices? Probably not. I'll be the voice of dissent, I guess - I think this is all rather bland. There is simple, and there is bland. I'd take Stephen Schneider's work any day over this. The biker jacket - I don't see a single detail that makes me give it a second look - it's 100% copy of the original MC jacket (MC = motorcycle). The other stuff seems rather juvenile - those shorts and such. Granted, these pictures are far from best, and I haven't seen any of his stuff in person, but that's what I think at this point.

[/quote]

I think the thing you might be missing Faust is that, while I might be wrong, it's really not "for" you. Obviously, since you didn't like it first of all, but secondly because of the manner it's presented, cut, etc... it seems to me that's it's a very youthful lable. For instance, many of the designers which we most enjoy on here simply don't cut clothes for my body type, and are presented to appeal to an "older audience." The price points on these jackets / etc, and the manner in which they are styled, it seems to me, are closer to the sort of thing that someone of my approximate "income" might be able to afford, and are cut along the same lines as my body type, and appeal to my aesthetic which is a blend of the designers on here, but also some very "current" fashion influences: the short-cut suit, Dior-homme level slim-cuts, modern streetwear, etc...

I think maybe where I'm looking at it as good pieces to wear, you're seeing it from a purely design-oriented angle, and in many cases it really just isn't there, because a lot of it is rather bland, frankly.

edit: on a subliminal level, I think I'm also being swayed by the shoes. Something about those perfect black-dress-style shoes has been messing with me recently, especially since I can never find a decent, clean-lined pair

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• deuxmille
                        • Nov 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]edit: on a subliminal level, I think I'm also being swayed by the shoes. Something about those perfect black-dress-style shoes has been messing with me recently, especially since I can never find a decent, clean-lined pair
                        [/quote]

I feel the same. I've been looking for a while for thin soled round toed shoes that I woudn't feel bad beating up. The closer I have found is Jil Sander, but they're a bit pricey and too clean for that kind of look.

Comment

• sbw4224
                          • Sep 2006

Zamb, I also visited Bblessing for the first time today. I was impressed with the store as well. Faust, I'm curious as to why you aren't a fan of it. I thought the interior was decorated well, and the salesperson (owner?) was more than helpful. I really liked most of their stock. The Ervell pieces are definitely more interesting in person. I don't see them as bland pieces, but tastefully simple pieces that would look good in a lot of people's wardrobes. I could complain about the pricepoint of his light jackets being about 200 dollars too high for everything, but I could say the same for a lot of other labels as well.

Comment

• onemancult
                            • Dec 2006

sale @ Bblessing. Duly noted. Great shop.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]Zamb, I also visited Bblessing for the first time today. I was impressed with the store as well. Faust, I'm curious as to why you aren't a fan of it. I thought the interior was decorated well, and the salesperson (owner?) was more than helpful. I really liked most of their stock. The Ervell pieces are definitely more interesting in person. I don't see them as bland pieces, but tastefully simple pieces that would look good in a lot of people's wardrobes. I could complain about the pricepoint of his light jackets being about 200 dollars too high for everything, but I could say the same for a lot of other labels as well.
                              [/quote]

Thanks for the review, guys.

SBW, I didn't say I didn't like the store - I said the label they stock did not warrant a special trip to the Lower East Side [;)] . It's good to hear that you like Ervell, I'm glad it works. I'd go see mens Preen, actually - I think they do a decent job.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

I think the thing you might be missing Faust is that, while I might be wrong, it's really not "for" you. Obviously, since you didn't like it first of all, but secondly because of the manner it's presented, cut, etc... it seems to me that's it's a very youthful lable. For instance, many of the designers which we most enjoy on here simply don't cut clothes for my body type, and are presented to appeal to an "older audience." The price points on these jackets / etc, and the manner in which they are styled, it seems to me, are closer to the sort of thing that someone of my approximate "income" might be able to afford, and are cut along the same lines as my body type, and appeal to my aesthetic which is a blend of the designers on here, but also some very "current" fashion influences: the short-cut suit, Dior-homme level slim-cuts, modern streetwear, etc...

I think maybe where I'm looking at it as good pieces to wear, you're seeing it from a purely design-oriented angle, and in many cases it really just isn't there, because a lot of it is rather bland, frankly.

edit: on a subliminal level, I think I'm also being swayed by the shoes. Something about those perfect black-dress-style shoes has been messing with me recently, especially since I can never find a decent, clean-lined pair

[/quote]

True, true - definitely not for me. The term youthful is kind of loaded though. I love youthful, I don't like juvenile. Youthful is young but mature, juvenile lacks seriousness - I guess that's the best way I can put it. Those shorts for example - they are juvenile. The red jacket is youthful - vibrant, but can be easily dressed up, if you'd like. Also by serious, I guess I mean more tailored. I don't see much tailoring from the pix (obviously, a bad judgment, but that's all I can go by at this point).

It also does go back to what Casem pointed out - what do you want to spend your money on? I will be 30 tomorrow, and I've been seriously following fashion since I was 20 (and also working full time since I was 20, without skipping a day). So, I had ten years to build up my wardrobe, and it's full of awesome pieces, basic and not. So my priorities shift - I don't want jeans anymore, for example - I've got some awesome ones, from basic to not. Same with tees, dress shirts, pants, sweaters.

Raf Simons said the same thing two years ago, when he presented his first collection that was a departure from the previous several years of "rebellious teenager" wear. He said that his friends, many of whom are his models since season one onwards, are growing up, getting more mature, and their tastes shift. It's just life, and it's good to see Raf acknowledge it - in my eyes transforming life into clothes gives him credibility as a designer.

On another note, 'm also spoiled by New York - I can buy well-made basics from Barneys warehouse sale and Century21 for next to nothing, cheaper than Gap. So, when I see a basic $200 sweater, I naturally bulk. Now I buy rarely, but I do want something tailored, something special, interesting.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎