X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
    There was a quote from a recent Rick interview that really stuck with me and makes his work much clearer IMO.

I can't remember the quote exactly and can't remember where the interview was but he was talking about how he designs like some artist (sorry for my ignorance of the art world) putting a slab of rock on a piece of wood, but it's about using the right rock and the right wood and placing them in the just the right place (again sorry for my ineloquent recollection).

It was a beautiful statement and now I view each of his looks as one single gesture in just the right material. Maybe it's that simplicity of design/concept that is bothering you Laika? Or is it that he only seems to have one gesture in his repertoire? Anyway, that simple sculptural approach is very alluring to me.
    He likened his approach to that of Constantin Brancusi, here's the quote again:

”(Just) a slab of metal on a hunk of wood, but it's about the right piece of metal, the right hunk of wood and the perfect gesture.”
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
      There was a quote from a recent Rick interview that really stuck with me and makes his work much clearer IMO.

I can't remember the quote exactly and can't remember where the interview was but he was talking about how he designs like some artist (sorry for my ignorance of the art world) putting a slab of rock on a piece of wood, but it's about using the right rock and the right wood and placing them in the just the right place (again sorry for my ineloquent recollection).

It was a beautiful statement and now I view each of his looks as one single gesture in just the right material. Maybe it's that simplicity of design/concept that is bothering you Laika? Or is it that he only seems to have one gesture in his repertoire? Anyway, that simple sculptural approach is very alluring to me.
      heh, heh, i'm obsessed with that quote from hintmag...i think i must cite it everytime i think he does something good.
      BTW, it comes right after the bit that I referenced above, about how he's just a wannabe CK or Armani...

I think I've criticized enough already, but the one-silhouette is definitely a problem here, imo.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎