Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fashion Industry today: attempt to get a global look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

"What are American consumers buying this year? Men’s underwear and fleece hoodies, according to market research firm NPD Group."
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      "What are American consumers buying this year? Men’s underwear and fleece hoodies, according to market research firm NPD Group."
      does this then mean that women are now wearing men's underwear, and fleece hoodies are the new must have summer item?!
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Americans bought $2 billion worth of fleece this year. Case closed. PM sent. Game over.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
          • Jan 2007

I enjoy seeing the industry crumble like this. It was about time. It'll be interesting to see who makes it through.

I think that even in the niche that sz occupies, the recession can be felt. I doubt we'll be seeing Carol by CCP any time soon, but then again even Rick Owens is making Eastpaks now. People who are into niche styles are much more likely to keep spending on them even as it cuts deeper into their budget, so I'm not surprised that many not-so-niche brands are suffering even more.
          Originally posted by jogu
          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting, nameless - was going to do that myself.

ProfMonitoff - we already talked about this at the start of the recession, and unfortunately it's the good designers who don't have big pockets that will go down much sooner than the Guccis of the fashion world.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sargon97
              • Jan 2009

Slightly off topic but I found this article interesting. I hope its not like this, have not been in NYC since 2003; however Der Spiegel is normally fairly decent.

The global financial crisis began in Manhattan, and its effects are being felt far more strongly there than elsewhere. Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the situation is critical. Millions are fighting to keep their jobs. Is what is happening in New York today a harbinger of the fate of the rest of the world?

Comment

• pierce
                Banned
                • Aug 2009

"Recently, he asked his factory there if it might simplify the ruching process to lower costs. The factory refused.
                “They said they would be ashamed to produce a garment that way,” Mr. Altuzarra recalled.
                Then he took a sample to a New York City factory to see if it might produce garments for him. “They looked at the sample and passed it around the factory and 15 minutes later said, ‘We can’t do it,’ ” Mr. Altuzarra said. “It was technically impossible for them to do it.”

I like that. I love america, but I feel that everything they do is based on money. Its like an obsession. I deal with lots of Americans in my job and every time its money that drives a decision. It like an underlying current that flows through everything. Where as in Europe, money is important, but also tradition and respect for the product you are making. I think/hope that if anything comes out of this recession is that good design and quality are more important that short term growth in profits. The only thing I fear is that the only reason we have that luxury over here is because of America driving the world economy.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sargon97 View Post
                  Slightly off topic but I found this article interesting. I hope its not like this, have not been in NYC since 2003; however Der Spiegel is normally fairly decent.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...648448,00.html
                  Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. Is that what passes for journalism in Germany?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

The Horyn article is good, but it highlights a trend evident for years: designers have been moving production and cutting corners for a long time. and I agree with retailers; designers should lower prices back to 2005 levels (maybe even lower). I'm not referring to designers who produce actual quality garments. I'm talking about corporate driven houses like Prada that increase prices while simultaneously decreasing quality. Such a decision is purely profit-driven and speaks to a greed so profound it is sickening.
                    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

What continues to baffle me is stores insisting that their clients want "basics." It makes absolutely no sense. Why would I want designer tshirts and jeans in time of recession when these are exactly the kinds of things for which I can easily find cheap/er alternatives?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                        • Jan 2007

Honestly with what New York designers have shown this past week, most of them deserve to go bankrupt. I hope Rad Hourani doesn't disappoint tomorrow.
                        Originally posted by jogu
                        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• sshum88
                          • Dec 2007

Totally agree on this one. Sounds like the stores are not listening or don't truly understand what consumers will be willing to pay $$$ for.

What continues to baffle me is stores insisting that their clients want "basics." It makes absolutely no sense. Why would I want designer tshirts and jeans in time of recession when these are exactly the kinds of things for which I can easily find cheap/er alternatives?
                          Originally posted by eat me
                          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

I think it comes from this idea that it was considered wiser to invest in quality basics that will last you ten years then in statement peices that will last one season, but I agree that the general consumer mentality has changed (if it was ever like that)
                            anyway, the proportion of people who are actualy interested in quality is really small

Comment

• sargon97
                              • Jan 2009

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. Is that what passes for journalism in Germany?
                              Err I don't think its much better over here anymore :) ; but yeah de spiegel certainly can get carried away with things.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎