• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: CdG Homme plus AW07/08

I find this clownish, no matter how muted the colors are. I think Rei should leave childrenswear to Willhelm... unless she is hinting that an old age is a place to revert to infantility... The illusionist outfits are passable. I trust she will make up in fabrics what she lacks in vision (same goes for Junya's bikers).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

I can't agree with you in this Faust. I think we needsome lightnessin this all serious menswear lately, with all the greys, blacks, gothics, militaryand other stuffs.

She is always doing things to the extreme and showing some "other masculinity".There are man-woman, man-rocker, man-solder, man-punk, man-skinny boy ..."games" in men fashion. This man-child is sweet.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="nqth"]

I can't agree with you in this Faust. I think we needsome lightnessin this all serious menswear lately, with all the greys, blacks, gothics, militaryand other stuffs.

She is always doing things to the extreme and showing some "other masculinity".There are man-woman, man-rocker, man-solder, man-punk, man-skinny boy ..."games" in men fashion. This man-child is sweet.

[/quote]

That's ok, nqth. That's what makes a forum a forum - otherwise it'd be all black :-). Cheers.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tweeds
          • Sep 2006

this collection gives me a very strange feeling - stirs up a diverse range of reactions.

for example i found this particular piece to be both grotesque and yet somehow charming... the use of the model is a huge contributing factor.

i think the man-child thing is quite intriguing but a bit of moderation would have been better.

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

I'm not too fond of the over all use of color, it just seems too over the top for me, especially for a Fall/Winter collection. I wish it be a little more toned down with subtle hints of the same colors like the second picture in post 10159. I think the color on the shirt collar is an excellent touch without overwhelming the whole look.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• nqth
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]That's ok, nqth. That's what makes a forum a forum - otherwise it'd be all black :-). Cheers.[/quote]

Cheers, Faust:-)

(And there is new perfume, I have heard!!!)

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

An interesting review from Style:

January 27, 2007

The finale
                made the raison d?être behind today's Comme des Garçons show crystal
                clear: As Sid Vicious hollered ?My Way?, four idiosyncratically stylish
                English artists shuffled into the spotlight. Like Sid, they?d done it
                their way, and Rei Kawakubo wanted to give them their due. She did that
                not just by inviting them onto the runway, but by sending out a
                collection that extemporised on what has made each man special to her.

Michael Kostiff?s store, World, was a fashionable farrago of ethnic
                style in London in the eighties. For him, Kawakubo offered pajama-like
                prints in layers torn and frayed. Duggie Fields pioneered the appetite
                for fifties retro that gripped London in the early seventies. She
                nodded to his formal Teddy Boy style in a three-piece red suit with
                black revers. Andrew Logan?s Eastern leanings were reflected in a
                mandarin-collared brocade suit, paired with huge mirrored brooches of
                his own devise. And last, but not least, Sebastian Horsley pranced down
                the catwalk in platform boots to the strains of T.Rex?s ?Dandy in the
                Underworld,? the title of which accurately defined the cutaway
                Edwardiana of his look.

The sensibility of each man was filtered through Kawakubo?s own, so
                some fabrics had the washed, worn look that has become something of a
                CdG signature. Proportions were shrunken. And the designer?s eye for
                curious detail was evident in a covered button on Horsley?s tailcoat
                and a trompe l?oeil jeweled belt on Logan?s maharajah jacket.

It all made for a fascinating gesture on Kawakubo?s part. Though
                Japan?s affection for English idiosyncrasy is the stuff of fashion
                legend, it?s rare that you see a designer of Rei?s stature so openly
                and warmly acknowledging the people who inspire her. And by elevating
                their individuality, she encouraged the rest of us to take more fashion
                risks.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                  • Sep 2006

I think this is a vast improvement on the last few seasons from HP. It's a really interesting idea (as explained in the article above) and a really interesting collection. I like the first section the best, with the layered rags. The fabrics will begreat. I also like the grey tailoring.Some of the shapes are quite new for comme, which is a good thing I think. I agree with nqth's sentiments on this, as usual! Definately better than Golden Boy.

Comment

• HellsRuler
                    • Jan 2007

i personally think the whole man-child thing is very disturbing.i agree with wearing some colors but i dont agree in doing it in a clownish way. i wouldnt want to look like a pina coloada when wearing one of those jackets. Well if we see anyone in these clothes as a whole ( as shown in pictures) ill pretty much laugh at them....[8-|].so ill stick to wearing black until they invent something darker.[:D]

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I have to say, I'm dissapointed even more after reading the review. I thought it was about childhood fairy tales fantasy, which saved the show in concept, and corresponded to what nqth was referring to. Turns out it's nothing of the sort - it's just another tribute to another artist(s). Can we stop refernecing artists? Talk about tiring, especially from Rei with her recent Rolling Stones collection, and her constant collaboration with "artists." Sorry, but I don't think there is anything visionary here at all - Rei has paid enough homage to both England and it's art in the past two years, really.

From men.style.com

January 27, 2007

The finale made the raison d?être
                      behind today's Comme des Garçons show crystal clear: As Sid Vicious
                      hollered ?My Way,? four idiosyncratically stylish English artists
                      shuffled into the spotlight. Like Sid, they?d done it their way, and
                      Rei Kawakubo wanted to give them their due. She did that not just by
                      inviting them onto the runway, but by sending out a collection that
                      extemporized on what has made each man special to her.

Michael Kostiff?s store, World, was a fashionable farrago of ethnic
                      style in London in the eighties. For him, Kawakubo offered pajama-like
                      prints in layers torn and frayed. Duggie Fields pioneered the appetite
                      for fifties retro that gripped London in the early seventies. She
                      nodded to his formal Teddy boy style in a three-piece red suit with
                      black revers. Andrew Logan?s Eastern leanings were reflected in a
                      mandarin-collared brocade suit, paired with huge mirrored brooches of
                      his own devise. And last, but not least, Sebastian Horsley pranced down
                      the catwalk in platform boots to the strains of T.Rex?s ?Dandy in the
                      Underworld,? the title of which accurately defined the cutaway
                      Edwardiana of his look.

The sensibility of each man was filtered through Kawakubo?s own, so
                      some fabrics had the washed, worn look that has become something of a
                      CdG signature. Proportions were shrunken. And the designer?s eye for
                      curious detail was evident in a covered button on Horsley?s tailcoat
                      and a trompe l?oeil jeweled belt on Logan?s maharaja jacket.

It all made for a fascinating gesture on Kawakubo?s part. Though
                      Japan?s affection for English idiosyncrasy is the stuff of fashion
                      legend, it?s rare that you see a designer of Rei?s stature so openly
                      and warmly acknowledging the people who inspire her. And by elevating
                      their individuality, she encouraged the rest of us to take more fashion
                      risks.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
                        • Sep 2006

I think it is a brilliant idea, to make tribute to great artists (and eccentrics), who is following his own roads.

It was different with the Stones. There she used the lips as a graphical motif, a sign, just like dots and stripes, as if it is just a "normal sign". Ofcourse it is not a "normal" sign for us. It is the same whenshe bared pink, goldand black tonormal colours,without any other "meanings".

This time she is getting more personal, make the clothes just more authentic than just a design without a case. It is indeed untypical for her, tho, since she always insisted she starts from zero and gave no connection to real people. She was showing that outsiders can smile and have fun:-) At the same time, she is so clever, offering warm colours, prints, gentlemen's suits and typical Commetricksin the cold, black and thick as metal season.

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                          • Jan 2007

I knew it! I knew it! When I saw that guy I thought 'Bloody hell, it's him what writes the sex column for the Guardian' and I was right, it is, it's Seb Horsley. Why is Rei paying tribute to him though? All he ever did was take lots of drugs, write about sleeping with hundreds of prostitutes (losing his virginity in a brothel...) and being crucified... Not to mention that Rei has copied his style pretty much to the letter, ring up Seb Horsley's Savile Row tailor if you want to look like him.
                          the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• nqth
                            • Sep 2006

A answer to Laika's post:-) This is the one that I like. It has different shade at catwalking - more grey, less blue (the white balance:-). I am not really considering it tho, not at the full price:-)

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

What a beautiful grey and a beautiful shape! Did you try it on, nqth? Perhaps better not to....might be hard to leave the store without it! [:$]

I hope you can get it somehow. [51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• nqth
                                • Sep 2006

I hope to see it and try it on soon. I doubt the Warsaw G will have it, tho.I am going to Paris in Oct. (yay:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎