• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mutterlein
    • Dec 2006

Re: Patrik Ervell F/W 07

[quote user="nqth"]

In a retail point of view, a big store would stock everthing that would sell. They have a broad spectrum of clients.

A smaller store would have different ways of doing bussiness. They might stock only "their" designers to "their" clients. Aloharag would not be a good example to look at. They sell a lot to Japan customers I guess. And a lot of Japanese boys out there buy big brands, DG, DS and such.

Someone might like MMM and DS alike (although I haven't met him yet), but he might just like it like it this, without knowing all MMM philosophy and such. You can't just say that a guy buy sth from some designers would make them "equal", in term of design, creativity and the role the designers are playing in fashion.

[/quote]

I never called them equal, I merely said in retail they are indistinguishable, and I cited my examples. Don't put words in my mouth.

And I did not reduce menswear into that basic formula, if you read my posts you would know that I covered a lot more depth than that. Again, please don't put words in my mouth.

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

European, do you mean UK, IT, FR or SE, or maybe Russia?

EDIT: GE added:-P

Comment

• nqth
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="mutterlein"]

I never called them equal, I merely said in retail they are indistinguishable, and I cited my examples. Don't put words in my mouth.

And I did not reduce menswear into that basic formula, if you read my posts you would know that I covered a lot more depth than that. Again, please don't put words in my mouth.

[/quote]

Indistinguishable in mean of design, creativity and the role the designers are playing in fashion (so quite equal isn't it), or indistinguishable by mean of same shops (which is no sens)?

EDIT: It is amazing to me that you see that designers indistinguishable (but not equal) but you do see this designer's workdistinguishable. Imagine switching models into normal guyandhe and his clothes are justindistinguishable with all the rest.

Comment

• mutterlein
          • Dec 2006

I AM relentless

I don't think anyone has given a sufficient argument against Patrik Ervell. The examples cited against him have been based on bias, personal taste, and/or a lack of information. Also, I have more than sufficiently cited valid examples that prove Patrik Ervell to not be "shit" or "weaksauce". In fact I'd say he's pretty novel and compelling. But we will have to agree to disagree. My last attempt is to show you what the runway photos couldn't:

, made from military contracted parachutes. , wool/cashmere blend flannel (also offered in polyurethane coated linen), jeans are silk twill. These first two images are from www.hintmag.com. the rest are from Vmagazine.com

, polyurethane and reversible., hood up and with faceless headcover. , wool twill suit. , baby alpaca and nylon., also baby alpaca. , the coat from before open to reveal a wool jersey mock neck layered with a broadcloth shirt.

a video of the finale,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlB-h4I0JHU

and another video with detailed backstage footage and commentary from Ervell (preceded by video clip from Kim Jones),

http://www.hintmag.com/tv/nyfw_fw07/nyfw_fw07_3.mov

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I like the parachute jacket. Ok, just for you, mutterlein, I am going to go to Odin and Opening Ceremony after work to take a look at this stuff in person. I will report back.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

I really appreciate the pics, mutterlein--they clarify your position a great deal. The back of that jacket is great, and so are the details on those knits.
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

As I posted in the SS thread for Him,
                I went to BBlessing and saw his stuff personaly, there are some interestng details etc, nice fabrics.

However, there is no soul to His clothing. which is something that is needed by all great designers.

The proportions of the more boxy items are terribly off (who wants a sleeve hem in the palm of your hand or a shoulder/armhole seam drooping to your bicep? )

If fashion is a reflection of the times (and environment) in which we live, then what is happening in NY fashion is a metaphor for what is happening in American society. we have become a politically correct, "blend in" nation. for things to work here, it has t be mainstream.

thats why the stuff of Margiela and Watanabe at bloomingdales looks the same as the other stuff. The soulful pieces of these designers are left in the showrooms by the buyers and the bland "commercial" pieces are the ones that are bought and sold

All great designers have a deep sense of who they are (sometimes to the point of being tortured by it), and it shines through in thier work. what american fashion says is , hide it undercover , blend it in and make it politically correct, because when you dont, we have to think too hard, we are challenged to understand, and we dont want to be in that position................. It is often too scary a position to be in

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

BTW, before I go for nothing, can someone confirm that OC and Odin indeed carry his line?

I'm not going to LES - it's out of the way :-)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I checked out a few pieces at Opening Ceremony. Granted it was only a few pieces, but I have to concur with zamb - I'm sorry mutterlein, the emperor has no clothes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎