• Show
Clear All
  • miserableman
    • Dec 2009

Some SS11 sneakers still have staples.

Comment

• syed
      • Sep 2010

I hope the staples do remain for the white soles, because I do rather like the rust look. Some sense of age and trace of wear is nice, especially with the dunks, because I think they look best a little (if not a lot) beat up. Although I suppose on the other end you have the fact that those soles perhaps do not last as long as a stronger non-stapled sole, but something tells me that removing the staples won't suddenly make it an awesomely hard wearing sole.

In general, I like how far Rick pushed this collection, even if it was merely building upon shapes and pieces we've already seen. For me his menswear is always more interesting than the womenswear in terms of who he is as a designer, because it always feels far more personal. Whereas the womenswear may have amazing shapes and grander visual statements, the menswear is where I see him, and I think that is important. I am not saying they are worlds apart, but rather two different forms of expression in a similar direction.
      "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• ES3K
        • Oct 2008

The rusting/fragility etc -- combined with the monumentality -- is what makes the trainers so special. I do remember a discussion in the RO trainers thread though where some users have (successfully!) claimed a replacement at Owenscorp because of rusting staples...

Comment

• theconsumer
          • Feb 2009

I would prefer monumentality with solidity, not fragility. Maybe this new sneaker version is closer to that. But yes, I miss the visual effect of staples, which was like healed scar.

But I want solidity. Existence is fragile enough, I don't want footwear to express it to me on each step.

Comment

• Lane
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
            am i the only one who actually liked the staples and the transient quality they lent the sneakers? probably. the new ones look too clean.
            hmm, shot in the dark here but i'm willing to bet, yes. I don't understand why people embrace the fragile elements of the sneakers, what do you possibly gain from that.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Wow, Dude. I think you might be history before Christmas eve if you keep shitting up the place with inane comments like you did today.
              You know what, just pack it all into one post and be done with it for this year...
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎