Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ultimaratio
    • Aug 2009

I really the balance he's found in his work. There's heavy romantic idealism in the styling, but it looks like there's a minimal approach in the construction of the individual garments. I like how he's distilled his vision in a palatable way - I like the idea of being able to buy into it with one or two pieces, without committing an entire wardrobe. The jackets look good, I like the scarves, and the draped shirts look really fresh. Really clean stuff, great materials, can't wait to handle it.

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

To me, this collection seems as theatrical as what Julius has done the past few seasons. Too dramatic, too showy for my tastes and too extended. Seems like a lot of the pieces would be hard to work outside of a strict DD wardrobe.

He should have had the models carrying scimitars.
      Don't get me wrong...I see the craft as well done. It's just that nothing here appeals to me and I can't see wearing any of it as daily wear.

Thank God for Silent, I guess?
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

Beardown, do you mean the show as a whole, or the actual garments? I don't understand how wearability is valid as criticism of a runway show beyond our personal preferences - and if there's one place for a designer to give people a taste of what the collection is all about including theatrics, then the runway show is where it should be, no?
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Avanster,
          It's not intended to be a statement about the show; simply the newest pieces on the whole.
          And yes, when I talk about wearability, I'm speaking in personal terms.

I think a lot seem rather 'costumey' and over the top like a wardrobe for a film or a play. As much as aesthetics and style appeal to me, I miss the less dramatic vision Damir seemed to present back in AW08 and SS09, which I thought were incredible for the most part.

As a line, it's cohesive enough and tells a story undoubtedly. Just not a story I can relate to.
          I'm not a critic; I'm just sharing my opinions.
          And I guess I'm fascinated by that point where style and fashion become wardrobe and prop.
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

I must agree with Beardown (and others). And if I was to answer Avanster's question, I would say both the show and the garments. Isn't wearability a key ingredient to a solid piece/collection?

I see the collection does house some intriguing items. The blankets steal the show, which can easily over-shadow other, more fundamental elements. Somes of the coats and shorts are likely very nice when seen on the rack. If this is your aesthetic, I'm sure you can find something. Over-all though, it doesn't do anything for me. That's obviously my personal taste, background, environment..etc. Lovely setting. Perfect for him.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
              • Mar 2009

Some aDDitional images here, from Dazed Digital.

Youth and pop culture provocateurs since 1991. Fearless fashion, music, art, film, politics and ideas from today's bleeding edge. Declare Independence.
              merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I suppose you can't see the fabrics in the pictures, but many of them are incredibly light.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Liquid
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                  Holy crap, amazing pants. Shirt is great too. Prolly my favorite look from the photos so far.
                  Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

pants were amazing. i also heard prices will be reduced by 20%, so i will get more pants :)

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Who was the star from Heroes that was in the audience? Hayden Panettiere?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

like YOU'd care outof everyone on this board. tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

lol, i don't! but newspaper readers do.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

DD SS 2011 Runway review online

Istambul meets Venezia - Damir Doma SS 2011

Damir Doma has asserted his originality and established his reputation with two initial gestures : the introduction of oversized, egg-shaped cuts (“infinity cut”) in FW 09, marking his splitting with the dominant aesthetics inherited from the Hedi Slimane era, joining the line of designers playing with volume, such as Yohji Yamamoto – along with the spectacular introduction of color in SS 10, which once and for all dragged him out of the lineage of the “dark” stylists,with whom he does not in the least identify. FW 10 has marked a manner of pause in innovation, at the same time as Damir was introducing a women’s line which was far from being limited to an adaptation of his men’s wardrobe.

Damir is carrying on with his journey round his room, and his inspiration, which used to root somewhere between steppes and Balkans, seems this time to have moved southwards, to the bosphorian banks and the ottoman world, between Venice and Istambul, as more particularily goes to show his rewriting of the turkish fez.

Read more here

Comment

where is istambul? never heard of it.

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                                where is istambul? never heard of it.
                                Ask Mike Nouveau, he knows the place.

Comment

Working...