Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Alas, like Faust, I was let down not by the color and execution of Junya SS 11 WW, but perhaps more so by the (dare-I-say?) relatively sub-par concept and the lack of genuinely interesting innovations, which we known Junya is capable of creating more often or not.

Amongst the highlights of this collection included trenches fitted like dresses with chiffon panels or skirts to add volume (or are they cotton muslin or poplin?) and depth by allowing bold geometry to peek through the sheer fabric.

The two looks below were among the four strongest. The second look (and maybe the first, though less so) could have been improved by changing the shrug into a solid color. This could have been accomplished to no detriment since the stripes can be seen under the semi-sheer layers. A small adjustment like that, and the collection could become something beyond the banal and ambiguously "bold stripes" collection when you reflect on it in the coming years. The first look is simply great sport wear -- as you can see, it shares many of the same elements with the previous look, though the dropped waist adds a nod to the 20s.

Sending the two dresses below down the runway in this order was a wise choice because it allows us to see how tweaking patterns and texture in nuanced ways, while still retaining the same "structure" -- that is, a cardigan (which appears reversible) on top of a layer that serves to break up the organic shape over a base of a not-quite-right but whimsical skirt with trimmings reminiscent of school uniforms -- can form two ensembles that are much more related than they would appear at first. This equation fits in the finest tradition of Junya in that it tweaks, plays, adds and subtracts -- evidence of an experimental mind at work.

While, I will not be purchasing much of Junya SS 11 (says my grinding poverty), it offers, nonetheless, numerous styling inspirations. Even more so, it offers us a glimpse into the designer's work process. (As do nearly all of his collections.)

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎