X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evilsean
    • Mar 2010

ODYN VOVK FW11 preview

Odyn Vovk AW-11 commercial from Jon Ryan on Vimeo.

i love that this is what it is. i think the fact the half of the video is devoted to his bike says as much about the direction he is moving in as the jacket being made. very well put together video. the new line looks to be very minimal and practical.
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

not sure why no one talks about him here, he does some pretty great stuff. Maybe it's because he's based in LA....
    Kill me if you like but I definitely prefer OV to DD and I'm very excited about fw 11 , now if we can get some actual pics...

Comment

• KodakII
      • Sep 2008

He has numerous threads and is actually a member, so your notion of him being from Los Angeles really has nothing to do with anything. To be honest, I have been less than impressed by what I've seen from him.

Comment

• Lane
        • Aug 2010

The only thing I currently remember from odyn vovk is that he said once in an interview if im not mistaken, that he drew inspiration from the homeless. This comment I thought was kind of stupid, but I forgave him for it because his stuff is quite interesting. I see a lot of his heritage in the clothing line, which I like. Don't really particularly like overall vision/style he has for the label, though. Doesn't really cater to me cuz I don't like where he draws influences from (not talkin bout the homeless )

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

The video just reminds me how badass a pared down custom bike can really be. I'd love a workshop like that to build machines from scratch.

Video itself is really well produced. I always like shots of studios and workshop of others. It's surprising how varied the approaches can be from designer to designer from the equipment they use to how everything is stored/organized.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

i've been living in ov jeans and hoodie all winter long. the fit/fabric/etc. is awesome. really excited for fw11.
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• upsilonkng
              • May 2010

Yeah I love those 13 whatever jeans in the black waxed version. Very soft and they fit really great..actually probably the best thing I've ever bought from Gilt. And I loved the canvas size zip as well, wish I got the hoodie. Can't wait to see it.
              I get the impression that maybe people here aren't into the black metal aspect of his designs... that's an element I love, and the fact that he's in my city and I've met him helps as well. Personally I'd take black metal over that techno shit all day long for the rest of my life, though I quite enjoy dub-step. His shows were silly though and the makeup was bad, always really bad but once you see and handle the stuff it's legit. I hope it goes to Gilt again this year because now that I'm much more familiar I may buy more. Hope someone post pics soon.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

People here aren't into the derivative nature of his designs.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

you should give it another look e. i think he has developed a distinct style and silhouette. while he certainly draws or has previously drawn influences from other designers the same can be said for many of the brands discussed here. moreover the dedication, passion, etc., that austin has is also impressive and admirable. he has stuck to a more or less consistent vision season after season.
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

I don't know if his work is derivative or not, but i think it is consistent with who he is.
                    I mean, i don't know him well enough, but we hung out a bit in Paris and getting to understand him a little i can easily see his work as an extension of who he is.
                    I didn't get the feeling of a disconnect between the work and the man........
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

We are not talking about disconnect. If I like Rick and then I go and make Rick clothes, there is no disconnect between me and what I like, but that does not make me a good designer. There are 300+ versions of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." Clearly many people relate to it, but only he wrote it.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

not sure why, maybe all the raw edges he has historically employed but he reminds me of a more wearable BBS

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          People here aren't into the derivative nature of his designs.
                          Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                          you should give it another look e. i think he has developed a distinct style and silhouette. while he certainly draws or has previously drawn influences from other designers the same can be said for many of the brands discussed here. moreover the dedication, passion, etc., that austin has is also impressive and admirable. he has stuck to a more or less consistent vision season after season.
                          I'm with AKA here. I remember the first season, and thinking "these are rip-offs." But from what I've seen, newer garments are their own, and have a theme of their own.

I don't know though, there's a reason I mostly just read in the "real" subforums.

Edit: I do wish he would keep his stockist list up to date. I think at least 4 of his listed US stockists no longer carry the line.
                          Last edited by theetruscan; 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• tyadams
                            • Jan 2011

Why are people bashing Austin? Give him some credit! The only thing his design needs is our support! He is developing some fantastic garments that are extremely wearable (especially for us motorcyclists!). Metal on Austin!

Comment

• upsilonkng
                              • May 2010

I think it's easy to say derivative if you don't like someone's work. At the end of the day most of the designers discussed here do asymmetrical stuff, draping stuff and androgynous stuff. Austin is the only dude doing it w/ a black metal influence and like I said the stuff I've owned of his I enjoyed as much as anyone..outside of Rick and Julius who are still far and away my favorites. It's much better or at least better suited to my personal style than a lot of the Matrix type stuff here.. all the earthy tones and dirt looking knits I could give a shit about. I don't care what the process was, it still looks like herbal tea as a sweater.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎