X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shah
    • Jul 2009

i'm quite comfortable leaving you to your perceptions
    nor do i wish to detail 3000+ years of history, half of it devoid of Islamic influence, to explain what "a bit more" might constitute

Comment

• Mikevigar
      • Jan 2010

Well I didn't expect the back and forth the link has created, so apologies for that!

As others have said, interesting to get a glimpse of Boris' showroom and some of the techniques he uses (which seem to be an increasingly defining feature of Boris along with the intricate detailing), also interesting to listen to him and see a direct interview, all seems a tad awkward though, and still can't fathom how BBC ended up with this.

Comment

• several_girls
        • Nov 2010

I am going to back up Shahanshah on this one.

Let's all be humble and not forget:

- dictatorship > Elections at district, state and national levels have been rigged in the US; two-party electoral systems can be said to resemble a dictatorship when those two parties are nearly indistinguishable on particularly important issues.

- torture > has been well documented and is an ongoing practice of NATO forces

- sharia law > is an extremely large and diverse body of knowledge, a source of debate, and practices that vary widely from one region to another. Christian principles are often the foundation of law in the US. An example is the "doctrine of discovery" which justified the taking of land from Indian tribes. See Johnson v McIntosh, 1823. This decision de facto controls all current law with respect to indigenous people in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other anglophone settler nations. There is a slight twist on this with Spanish and Portuguese settler nations.

It is not a certainty that severe systems of law are merely a function of religion; nationalism, poverty, political structures and historical processes must be considered.

- police state > the US has the largest prison population in the world, and also has the largest prison population per capita of any country in the world.

- barbarism > is a concept developed in ancient Greece which posits a progressive/evolutionary vision of human behavior; it is often invoked by conquering groups to justify the taking of a people's lands, resources and labor (slavery), or else delegitimize a perceived enemy en route to war.

Conclusion: these hot button words are not unique to Iran. They also gloss over tens of thousands of years of cultural, political and economic history. One that isn't insulated from the changing patterns of world power.

I already feel bad because I shouldn't have to say any of this, and it is inappropriate content for this kind of thread.

Comment

• Zenith
          • Jun 2009

I'm just going to expand on what my problem was with the video and I'll leave it at that. Sorry to contribute to the derailment.

"...who has never seen Tehran, where his parents met. But his designs, although modern, functional, and extremely detailed, have a strong sense of Persian, and nomadic identity."

This is the statement I'm having trouble with. Yes he is half Persian, but I don't see any elements of Iranian dress in the clothing. You could argue due to his heritage there is an influence (unlikely if you read other BBS interviews), but as Boris logically explains he is not consciously looking at Persian inspiration for his designs. Even in that tiny segment of video he specifically states it's inspired by martial arts.

As someone who has been to Iran many times (not all of it but enough of it) I find the statement shoehorned. It's as if it was some segment done specifically by BBCpersia, where they found out that BBS was half Iranian and decided to do a segment on him based on that.

Not going into this whole long debate about Iran and its customs, sucks for the people who are being suppressed (and killed, maimed, buried in unmarked graves etc). There is much beauty to be found if you can possibly peel back the horrors of its government.

I'm done (unless we get more talk about the garments of course...or if the conversation gets moved elsewhere...)

Oh and side note: It's uncanny how much the interviewer looks and sounds exactly like a distant cousin of mine.

Comment

• shah
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
            "...who has never seen Tehran, where his parents met. But his designs, although modern, functional, and extremely detailed, have a strong sense of Persian, and nomadic identity."

This is the statement I'm having trouble with. Yes he is half Persian, but I don't see any elements of Iranian dress in the clothing. You could argue due to his heritage there is an influence (unlikely if you read other BBS interviews), but as Boris logically explains he is not consciously looking at Persian inspiration for his designs. Even in that tiny segment of video he specifically states it's inspired by martial arts.

As someone who has been to Iran many times (not all of it but enough of it) I find the statement shoehorned. It's as if it was some segment done specifically by BBCpersia, where they found out that BBS was half Iranian and decided to do a segment on him based on that.
            this, esp the bolded part. they could have an easier time making such claims about Damir and his orientalism. it's all in all bizarre that this was on the bbc anyway.
            Last edited by shah; 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

Come on now. I know EVERYTHING is political but really? Do we need these political sound bites here? I'm not going to try and write two to three sentences that encapsulate Iranian culture because that would obviously be ridiculous for the rich and long history of the Iranian people.

If you are on this forum and believe that the prison and justice system of the United States is similar to Iran you have taken a wrong turn. I can only assume you failed out of school.

Comment

• several_girls
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                If you are on this forum and believe that the prison and justice system of the United States is similar to Iran you have taken a wrong turn. I can only assume you failed out of school.
                I didn't say they were similar, I said we should be humble and recognize that Faust's list shows nothing unique about Iran. The US was just the first counter-example to come to mind. All human beings have ownership of such things.

As a parting shot, I will say if that if you spend a majority of your time with non-white community of people in the US, the characteristics of police-state law enforcement are present and clear. However, I freely admit I am uneducated on Iranian penal law.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                  • Nov 2007

lol is this crossfire or the bbs thread!?
                  LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Darklands
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008

the interviewer is Persian and works for BBC Iran so clearly, in one or more questions he is trying to draw on Boris' link with that old and rich culture - whether there is a direct influence or not.

Comment

• Amir
                      • May 2010

just a small sidenote; look at boris body language in the interview. he seems awkward as fuck (highly uncomfortable) ... i wouldnt read too much of that interview

Comment

• kollaps
                        • Jul 2009

your avatar is highly uncomfortable as well

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                          lol is this crossfire or the bbs thread!?

Fuck yeah

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Amir
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by kollaps View Post
                            your avatar is highly uncomfortable as well
                            Can't say I've missed useless passive aggressive high school behavior/comments.

Comment

• gavagai
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Amir View Post
                              Can't say I've missed useless passive aggressive high school behavior/comments.
                              the vagaries of self-reference

Comment

• Amir
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                                the vagaries of self-reference
                                whatever man, you & that other blokes attitude is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎